View Poll Results: Do you hit stuff and do forms?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do forms and all other types of conditioning and hard contact fighting.

30 90.91%
  • No, I just do forms

3 9.09%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Do you hit stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    You haven't seen the vid of him tapping out to an 'ear grind' in under two minutes? Its famous!
    yes maybe my sarcasm is getting bad.. but thats what the was for.
    Hey I give him respect for stepping up when he ran his mouth...
    doesn't mean that he isn't a jackas

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I have had more people hold the pads for me than I care to remember, some slap it down, some don't.
    Trainer debate that, some slap too much, so not enough.
    Its a personal preference actually.
    Yah there is a general guideline that you don't want to slap too much - you want to let the punches come to you - and I might've been slapping too much in my pad video.
    On the other hand, you DO want to provide some resistance and my tastes for resistance are a bit higher than what i saw in that vid. Just my opinion.

my opinion of the padwork on the vid definitely got more negative once i realized the owner of the vid didn't want to discuss whys & hows and refused to listen any advice.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Is it typical pad work that one sees in a boxing/MT/Kb/MMA gym?
    No.
    i agree on that !
    in addition if it would look like typical mt,kb or mma u d probably read stuff like "hey,u are not tma" I think they know what they doing..in the clip however it doesnt show the purpose...as often in so many clips

peace

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Yah there is a general guideline that you don't want to slap too much - you want to let the punches come to you - and I might've been slapping too much in my pad video.
    On the other hand, you DO want to provide some resistance and my tastes for resistance are a bit higher than what i saw in that vid. Just my opinion.

my opinion of the padwork on the vid definitely got more negative once i realized the owner of the vid didn't want to discuss whys & hows and refused to listen any advice.
    You must put some resistence behind the pad.
    Some guys just go slap happy, of course that has alot to do with the guy hitting the pads too, if he hits hard, slaps won't be happening.
    It also depends on why they are doing the pads.
    Some do pad work to work on moving combos, some to develop broken rythm, so to work on targeting and some to work on cardio, ect. etc.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Laukarbo View Post
    i agree on that !
    in addition if it would look like typical mt,kb or mma u d probably read stuff like "hey,u are not tma" I think they know what they doing..in the clip however it doesnt show the purpose...as often in so many clips

peace
    Context, as they say, is everything.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

So far. No matter how some here try to diminish it. it seems we have a big majority that report doing exactly the opposite of what Ross proclaims.

Does that mean its a universal condition? No. What it does mean is that there are a lot more people using their art with contact training that some would lend you to believe.

So up yours, dave.

we know , we know, "my fighers" yadda yadda yadda.

we know.

"those who can't , teach.........."

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    So up yours, dave.
    Do I sense yet ANOTHER e-challenge coming?
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    So far. No matter how some here try to diminish it. it seems we have a big majority that report doing exactly the opposite of what Ross proclaims.

Does that mean its a universal condition? No. What it does mean is that there are a lot more people using their art with contact training that some would lend you to believe.

So up yours, dave.

we know , we know, "my fighers" yadda yadda yadda.

we know.
    Many of the people claiming to do it are probably doing it as ineffectively as the Hung Gar school shown in that clip, which doesn't really prove anything.
    "those who can't , teach.........."
    Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it, some might say.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 05-08-2008 at 09:24 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Many of the people claiming to do it are probably doing it as ineffectively as the Hung Gar school shown in that clip, which doesn't really prove anything.

Oh how superior of you. Of course you don't include yourself in that number.

There ya go folks, MK here thinks most of you are full of it.

Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it, some might say.
    take your own advice.

Better to be thought of as someone who can't fight than to show up at a stupid e-challenge and prove it, some might say.
    Fixed that for ya.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

take your own advice.

Does this mean you will be fighting me on May 17th?

Are you in Austin now? If not, what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by SifuExcuses View Post
    take your own advice.
    You should have. Your failure to do so cost you a perfectly good ear.
    Last edited by 1bad65; 05-08-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Interesting, this all of what to do with you?