Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Huang, it would have been stupid for the Jedi to turn that arena fight into a gun fight. It would have completely taken away the Jedi's advantage. Have you seen the way those droids advance? They walk steadily towards their target, and their guns are spewing laser all the time. The Jedi wouldn't even have time to shoot their force guided blasters. The chaos of the arena was their advantage since the droids needed to scan for targets while avoiding friendly units. Also, doku was out of the way of any possible blaster shots from what I remember. Even if he wasn't, I'm sure he was sensing everything that went on in that arena, so if he felt someone draw a blaster and pointed it at him, his vader-esque laser stopping hand would be up
    Guns aren't cool, which is why I like Star Wars as it introduces a sword that is superior to the gun. As a martial artist I'm surprised you feel this way, Huang. Why not quit kung fu and join the local NRA?

The reason I don't join the NRA is because it's illegal to carry handguns in certain states.

As far as the advancing droids thing goes, the right thing to do is get under cover and shoot guys from a distance. If you have an ARMY of droids coming at you, you don't stand in the way and take all the hits. You get UNDER COVER and try to pick the army apart. The Jedi started the fight in the STANDS, and they came down to the arena where the droids converged on them. That's why so many Jedi got blown away.

Not surprisingly, the tide of the battle turned when Yoda descended on the arena with the clone army. Why couldn't have Jedi starships flown directly into the arena (as Yoda's clones did) and saved Anakin and Obi-Wan? That would've saved so many Jedi lives, though it would've made the movie less saber-oriented. The clones, compared to Jedi, are vastly inferior fighters even when controlled by Yoda. In the case of the Jedi, GUNS saved the day. And that's why guns are COOL.

The cutting edge of a weapon isn't the quality of the weapon. It's the APPLICATION. What good is a lightsaber if the person using it is boneheaded as those Jedi were? I mean, even Dooku was using droids armed with guns the whole movie until the final fight!

As Thulsa Doom said in "Conan the Barbarian", "What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Didn't Luke Skywalker use the Force to blow up the Death Star?
    No, the rebel alliance managed to slip into the death star and destroy its core after Han Solo, with the help of Ewoks, turned the shield generators off on that small planet. Darth Vader (Anakin) leaked out the artchitecture of the death star to lure the rebel alliance out and destroy them. Funny how it got turned around did it?

Oh and by the way doesn't any one remember that goldfish general in the final star wars? Personallu I though he was cool.

I wonder what happened to the remaining storm troopers that escaped.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

I was talking about the FIRST Death Star, NorthernMantis.

Luke Skywalker, with the advice of Obi Wan Kenobi, uses the Force to guide his torpedos into the shaft of Death Star I. Watch "The New Hope" again.

If Luke used GUNS to blow up the Death Star, I don't see why a Jedi Knight shouldn't use guns to blow up droids.

Oops thanks for the correction.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

I always thought the point was for luke to use the force INSTEAD of a computer aided targeting system...

It wasn't that he used the force to "guide" the photon blasts... he used the force to Aim more accurately than a computer could...

semantics, semantics.

If one "uses the Force to Aim more accurately than a computer could", that IS using the Force to "guide photon blasts".

Sure Semantics, isn't that the point of this thred?

wouldn't deflecting a laser blast with your hand be a more accurate discription of "using the force to guide a laser blast (away from you?)"

No.

So if Luke didn't use the Force to guide the photon missiles into the exhaust port of the Death Star, WHAT did he use?

Besides, "using the force to guide a laser blast (away from you?)" didn't save any of the scores of Jedi killed on Geonosis.

And that was my original point of why the Jedi should've carried blasters and used the Force to shoot down all sorts of droids in the first place.

Luke used the Force to AIM for that vent... see the movie again...
    There's just no way he would have been skilled enough to "move" a photon torpedo so early in his training... Think of the training he went through with Yoda on Dagoba, only there does he begin to understand the Force's potential to transent the physical world... remember the scene where Yoda lifts the X-wing out of the swamp but Luke couldn't because it was too big?

The point of that scene in the first movie was based on transending one's reliance on technology.

The Jedia used the Force through their Lightsabers to deflect blaster fire...

notice how only Jedi weild Lightsabers... anyone NOT in touch with the force would probably kill themselves with it... Luke's natural connection with the force..."the force is strong in this one" was demonstraited right off with that practice scene while traveling on the falcon...

Again... Blasters are simply unreliable... Queen Amidala is no Jedi & still all those legions of Robots & cyborgs continued to miss her.

Considering the ratio of Robots to Jedi... there weren't that many Jedi that actually fell in battle. They'll be whiped out in the next movie...

But if you want a blaster... you're welcome to have one, no-one here will stop ya' . . . personally, I'll sticke with a trusty lightsaber . . . green of course.

There were at least 100 Jedi at first on Geonosis.

After the droids had shot them up, there were no more than 20 left. Count the number after they get forced into the final circle.

In short, there were MORE Jedi killed than there were left standing. Your concept of ratio shows that you enjoy seeing Jedi killed.

If anything, Senator Amidala demonstrates the superiority of blasters over lightsabers.

While the Jedi are getting totally shot up by the droids, she takes cover and starts shooting at them with her blaster. Meanwhile, all the other Jedi were getting shot down despite using "the Force through their Lightsabers to deflect blaster fire... "

Remember this, Design Sifu. What saved the Jedi that day? It wasn't another army of lightsaber bearers, it was a CLONE ARMY armed with BLASTERS led by Yoda that bailed them out.

And what's the difference between aiming at a vent and guiding it in when the Death Star blows up? Either way, Luke used the Force to blow up the Death Star not with a lightsaber, but a photon torpedo.

You can have your lightsaber. But don't start griping to me when your butt gets shot up on Geonosis due to your desire to stand in the middle and take hits.

I'll hide out as Amidala did and fire at guys from a covered position.

Hmmm

Well, I'll have to see the move again to recall the 100 plus Jedi at the begining of that battle...

Yes it's true that The Jedi where save by Yoda's Clone-troopers... But then again, didn't Mace state that the Jedi where "peace-keepers not soilders" so there you go.

Yes... a lightsaber would have been quite ineffective against the deathstar.

Amidala both proved the effectiveness of using cover while blasting and the unrelyability of blasters by surviving amidst 20-1 odds... or whatever.

you keep your blaster, I'll keep my lightsaber. Let's agree not to duel in a vain attempt to prove which is better 7 perhaps there's $$$ to be made as bounty hunters between episodes III & IV.

If anything, Senator Amidala demonstrates the superiority of blasters over lightsabers.

Padme wouldn't have lasted 5 seconds if Anakin wasn't defending her.

As far as the advancing droids thing goes, the right thing to do is get under cover and shoot guys from a distance. If you have an ARMY of droids coming at you, you don't stand in the way and take all the hits. You get UNDER COVER and try to pick the army apart. The Jedi started the fight in the STANDS, and they came down to the arena where the droids converged on them. That's why so many Jedi got blown away.

The droid army would have been closed in and rapid firing their lasers if the Jedi decided to take cover. They had no advantage in ranged combat, but had a great one in close combat. If you watched Episode 1, you'd see how deadly the droid phalanx is. Every gungan would have died if it wasn't for that force field. How did the gungans attempt to level the playing field? Close combat, of course. If a bunch of stupid fish men can figure this out, why can't you?
    Not surprisingly, the tide of the battle turned when Yoda descended on the arena with the clone army. Why couldn't have Jedi starships flown directly into the arena (as Yoda's clones did) and saved Anakin and Obi-Wan? That would've saved so many Jedi lives, though it would've made the movie less saber-oriented. The clones, compared to Jedi, are vastly inferior fighters even when controlled by Yoda. In the case of the Jedi, GUNS saved the day. And that's why guns are COOL.

The clone troopers turned the tide of the battle not because of their weaponry, but because of their numbers, and the element of surprise. If the Jedi dropped in from the above, they would not have had the same element and could have potentially been blown out of the sky. Instead they infiltrated from the inside, no doubt taking out countless sentries.
    To clear up any possible confusion, Yoda had surprise because the battle took the attention of everyone in the arena, and the ships went unnoticed as everyone was preocupied.

I'll be the first to criticise George Lucas, but I must say he does his research when it comes to battle tactics.

there you go...

Still, once it's said & done, the life of a Jedi Bounty Hunter could prove quite lucrative between episodes III & IV

one could still keep their morals by only hunting those deserving of capture...

Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
    I can ask for a heck of a lot more, kungfuguy!

Personally, I'd been happy if the "primitive" technology of "Empire Strikes Back" were used. Isn't anybody bothered by the fact that the technology in Episodes 1/2 is so vastly more sophisticated than that in Episodes 4-6?

Similarly, I wish that the quality of shooting had been kept consistent through the 5 episodes. I was against the changes made by Lucas on the original 4-6 episodes, as I felt that they were totally out of place with the more primitive background technology.

Less technology. More acting.
    Actually Lucas plans on digital re-doing the original three. That is why the OT is not on DVD. If anyone say the special editions. Like where Gredo shot first. It is a preview of things to come.
    David Dow
    Bujinkan Anko Dojo
    www.taijutsu.com
    "Why try to KO the guy when you can stab him and watch him bleed to death." Toshiro Nagato