Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Yes

you're right only Kenobi and Yoda dissappear out of all the Jedis when killed, as the arena scene will qualify, and Qui Gon Jin retained his physical body when kill.

Cultural changes. When they were first made, people didn't want to see dead bodies. These days we just can't get enough
    Huang, it's obvious that you already had your mind made up about the movie before you even saw it. You, and others on this thread are being far too critical. The acting wasn't *that* bad, and the fact that you criticized Christopher Lee's acting completely voids your opinion.
    Again, you guys are being too hard. The movie had good effects, good action, a good story, a beautiful girl, and plenty of pleasant surprises. What more can you ask for?

I wish I could erase my mind and watch the new episodes without the burden of the first 3.

Anyway. I hated those god**** "videogame" scenes like the one in the droid factory. It had nothing to do with the story and it broke the rhytm of the movie.

Well, I totally agree with HKV that Portman was miscast--she just has no range, or at least Lucas isn't getting it out of her.

And I also agree with Premiere about that factory scene---in fact, after the movie, my friend said something about R2 flying in that scene, and I HONESTLY did not remember seeing that at all---my mind must have totally wandered from the movie a that point.

I thought Annakin was fine---I liked his impatience and just generally being out of sync with the Jedi mindset. The Fetts were great, and I thought Christopher Lee was perfect. I think Annakin going after the Sandpeople was great, but that should have been a bigger, more pivotal sequence in film, IMO. The Coliseum scene was really where Lucas shined.

I think I was more visually "wowed" by Phantom Menace and I liked the brighter, more colorful, upbeat look of that one better, but this movie had its moments.

I just enjoy these for what they are, and I don't get too nostalgiac over the originals. Now, I love SW and Empire, but I still hold that Jedi had the most cringe-inducing moments of the series.

I can ask for a heck of a lot more, kungfuguy!

Lee totally doesn't have the malevolence necessary to play the "Tyrannus" role. All you have to do is look at the way Peter Cushing played "Grand Moff Tarkin" to see what a bad guy SHOULD act like. Even the other starfleet commanders in Episode IV were meaner and nastier than the lovable Christopher Lee was. Any one of those guys would've been more effective than the po-lite Lee in that part.

Lee does have some great moments of evil taunting and scowls during the Obi-Wan fight. Then again, he sounded absolutely lost when he said to Yoda "It seems we must settle this with light-saber".

Hayden Christensen doesn't know the bitter taste of oppression.

The fake scowl he wears throughout the movie is utterly unconvincing to one who has worn such a scowl through most of his life. He's juvenile, I'll give him that. But he doesn't have the inner RAGE and it's obvious to one who DOES.

Personally, I'd been happy if the "primitive" technology of "Empire Strikes Back" were used. Isn't anybody bothered by the fact that the technology in Episodes 1/2 is so vastly more sophisticated than that in Episodes 4-6?

Similarly, I wish that the quality of shooting had been kept consistent through the 5 episodes. I was against the changes made by Lucas on the original 4-6 episodes, as I felt that they were totally out of place with the more primitive background technology.

The goal in this movie clearly was to disguise the actor's inabilities with technology. It's the same way every actor or actress has plastic surgery nowadays because otherwise they wouldn't be beautiful enough for the screen.

Less technology. More acting.
    Last edited by HuangKaiVun; 05-18-2002 at 08:57 AM.

I don't think Count Dooku was even supposed to be all evil like the stereotypical evil guys you're obviously thinking of. Christopher Lee isn't kind of actor that would play the role wrong.

And don't forget most of the film was shot against blue background in a studio and a lot of dialog had to be done without anyone to speak to, because of the digitally made characters. This makes acting extremely hard.

I think they made awesome job with the fight scenes. Count Dooku vs. Yoda was unbelievable =)

Huang,

I can agree with you on Annakin's acting, though I felt Lee did an adequate job.

However, the technology issue I have to disagree with. It assumes a constant evolution and no deevolution in terms of technology, and that viewpoint comes from our times.

The republic was the golden age during which all the things in the original trilogy were invented, including the empires ships, the death star, and everything else. Amidahla's ship is not the ship of someone assisting a major rebellion, it is a pristine piece of luxury.

Star wars, Empire, and Return take place in the dark shadow of annakin's story. There is no reason to suppose that the standards of living improved and technology as well under the despotic rule of Vader and Palpatine. They could very likely have gotten worse, as the two had less need of new technology to rule the galaxy, seeing as they were the only two beings who could see into the future. Oh sorry, except for Yoda and kenobi, who were basically inactive during that time in a political sense.

God, I put way too much thought into that.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

New Jersey--where the weak are killed and eaten
    What are you kidding? Christopher Lee . . too much of a good guy? Where have you been fot the last thirty years? Lee played Dracula in nearly all of the Hammer horor films from England in the '60's and '70's, was that funhky, tall malevolent dude ni Gormenghast, and played Saruman in LOTR. That was my favorite of the movie--with him and that wicked, cherry red lightsaber. He rocked! Lee kicks butt as a bad guy. He has the ability to play the part of a villain with an air of sophisticated, calm evil.
    Obi-Wan and Yoda don't die in Episode III; obviously they train Luke in Ep's IV and V (and maaybe VI?)
    Yessa, the Jatr-Jar thingsa wasa pretty funny-sa. Ensuring the end of the Republic as it's known. I though the young Bobba was a samrt @$$ little punk, pouty little crap. I thought it was cool to see the predeseccers to all of the stormtroopers in the clones and their armor.
    New Jersey: Where the weak are eaten and killed.

Sorry huang, you're never going to convince anyone that the man who played Sauruman can't act as a bad guy
    I thought Hayden did a fine job. He got the right messages accross, even if it seemed fake to you. He was a better choice than the other Candidates. Leo Decaprio as Darth Vadar? *SHUDDER*, thank God that didn't happen!
    Also, I just don't see Natalie Portman as a bad actress. Some people are saying she did a ****ty job, but I just can't see it. I can understand the points against Hayden Christensen, just not her. Can anyone give me some specific examples where she played her roll poorly?

Episode II

it was like one huge videogame for sure...

Obi wan make a terrible sigle parent if that's how he raised Anakin over 10 years...

Anakin was a punk for sure... his slaughter of the Tuskin Raiders should have seen more screen time.

Yoda's dual was Okay... why didn't he move Obi Wan & Anakin out of harms way instead of waisting time with his immatation of Captain Kirk while he stops a pillar from falling on them? Why didn't he slam Count Dukko's Ship with it when he was trying to fly off.

Jango Fett: OKAY... sorta cool ironey that he "fathers" the clone troopers.

His best part was getting his head lopped off by Mace...

Can you see Bobba assinating mace in Ep III?

Punk Kid...

Natalie Portman was such nice eye candy I didn't mind he poor dialogue & especially the Poor directing.

There where difinate scenes of the technology looking more like ep IV-VI... Just look at the Clone troopers' tech. Those minni Star Destroyers...

Jar Jar redeemed himself in my book... he should commit suicide in the next movie in proper greek tragidy fashion.

Christopher Lee did just fine... some of the best acting in the whole movie... Nice light saber.

Liked how he Cut DOWN that arrogent Anakin... (pun intended )

Nice irony in Yoda using the clone army... an enlightened peace keeper leading a vast army...

Obi Wan & Yoda don't die in the normal sence probably because they are the last of the Jedi & are thuse so attuned to the Force... Even Darth Vadar was surprised to find no body.

I saw it, I thought it was insulting and incompetent on every conceivable level. Acting, directing, script, action choregraphy, special effects, you name it. Yoda looked fake, as did every other CGI character, landscape and vehicle. Yoda's duel was just stupid. He's either an infirm little old man who needs a cane/floating wheelchair to get around or he's an acrobatic little Kermit the Frog bad@ss. One or the other, it can't be both.

Honestly, I had very low expectations for this movie as anything except eye candy, and it was still worse than I expected in every respect. Well, Natalie was hot, and I liked the mantis/shark monster. But that's all. Oh, yeah, the Jango Fett actor was good, but he had jack-all to actually do.

It'll take wild horses to drag me to Ep 3.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Haven't seen it yet (sometimes I feel like they're still showing the first Star Wars over here... ), so haven't read all the posts...

But whoever said Lee can't play a bad guy is a moron! Bugger Saruman, what about Dracula and all the rest of those twisted Hammer horrors? I know it was kind of panto, but give the guy a break, he must be as old as Yoda!

What I find disturbing is why every geek is coming out and calling Star Wars 'A New Hope'... It was called Star Wars for 23 years...

CSN, You wanna see me when I get out of my wheelchair...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Star Wars martial art

If I wait till it comes out on video my wife will buy the thing any how and I can see it then. Seriously guys, why waste your time in line to see a movie when you could be working out- or better yet, starting your own art! Think of it: a Star wars based martial art!

Your style doesn't matter, anything goes. The only one in all the other movies who fought with any kind of style any how was Darth Mall.

Metachlurian count- let's base that on your number of posts on these forums (I'd better get busy if I want to qualify for training).

You're a paduan untill black (in whatever style you choose), then instead of tans you would be a knight, then master, then on the council, and finally a ghost.

Those of you whose school doesn't use belts would be the Dark Side (sorry, but what else can we do with you?). Your 'rank' would be determined by how good your costume looks- extra points for original, scarry, and skin art.

This is so fascinating, I've already ruined three flashlights an a wooden practice sword trying to fashion a suitable weapon.

So, what do you guys think? Will it go? Or maybe we should base this new art on the old 'Lost in Space' TV serries.
    Last edited by dnc101; 05-25-2002 at 01:25 PM.

lol dnc

Note on your comments, Chang: Firstly, Yoda was purposely made to look fake so he could look more like the original Yoda. Their realistic looking Yoda didn't look a thing like the original. He was able to jump around like an acrobat despite barely being able to walk because he is THAT good with the force. From what I know, Jedi are discouraged from using the force to perform menial day to day tasks (which is why anakin said Obi Wan would kill him if he saw him using the force to eat his meal), which is why he uses his own power to walk.

I hate to admit it...

but I'm only human. I took my 11 yr old son to see it. It looks like Lukas did the same thing here that he did on the middle movie in the first serries (Empire Strikes Back?)- he tried to cram too many events together in order to set up the next movie. It was a little disjointed. And, even though you go in with few expectations as far as reality and sensibility, I thought he stretched credibility a little too much. Especially with the chase scene. As for Aniken, Obe Wan should have turned him over his knee and beat the dark side out of him. Things I liked: Amadala, the scenery and architechure, special effects, a lot of action (I have a short attention span). Then of course there's Yoda, a shining example for those of us martial artists who are undersize and somewhat infirm.