Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conditioning and wing chun

Conditioning and wing chun

How many of you guys have trained to the point of exhaustion, and then tried to use wing chun in free sparring...just to see what would happen?

I did that tonight just for sh*ts and giggles again after a long hiatus, and already knew what would happen...but I'd like to get stories of other's training experiences before I share mine. The result should be the same for everyone, but let's see what sort of answers we get...
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

If you are not puking, you are not training !

That kind if training is praticularly good for people that tend to "muscle" their opponents.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Or people that simply want to see where their limits are so that those limits can be exceeded.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Or people that simply want to see where their limits are so that those limits can be exceeded.
    Don't know if this qualifies but here's some training for a Lei Tai event:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7NCvZYiDQw
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

If you truly push yourself, you will always exceed your limits because they will be ever changing.

There are pros and cons to this training of course.

How many of you guys have trained to the point of exhaustion, and then tried to use wing chun in free sparring...just to see what would happen?

I did that tonight just for sh*ts and giggles again after a long hiatus, and already knew what would happen...but I'd like to get stories of other's training experiences before I share mine. The result should be the same for everyone, but let's see what sort of answers we get...
    Bruce Lee always talked about training your fine motor skills before you get gassed..because you'll have none left!
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Don't know if this qualifies but here's some training for a Lei Tai event:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7NCvZYiDQw
    So you gassed them by pushing some guy's truck and then they sparred with each other?

Priceless.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    So you gassed them by pushing some guy's truck and then they sparred with each other?

Priceless.
    Basically.
    Two of them got first and second place in their very first full contact event. There are some excerpts of their elimination fights and the last event where they were they were supposed to fight each other for 1st & 2nd here:
    http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/clips.asp
    One of them bowed out though since they're from the same school.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    Bruce Lee always talked about training your fine motor skills before you get gassed..because you'll have none left!
    Good point Couch...and that's sort of where I was leading to. Fine motor skills go out the door when you're gassed. The thing I find most beneficial in training like this once in a while is the mental tenacity to keep going as best as you possibly can--it's sort of a slap in the face for those that don't think about the idea that they may actually get tired before the fight ends...and when the techniques go out the door--what do you have left?

BTW Phil...awesome training...

Sanjuro...good points...but I like to sometimes push myself that much more, extreme training that's only done once in a while. I believe it's called shugyo in Japanese.

Good point Couch...and that's sort of where I was leading to. Fine motor skills go out the door when you're gassed. The thing I find most beneficial in training like this once in a while is the mental tenacity to keep going as best as you possibly can--it's sort of a slap in the face for those that don't think about the idea that they may actually get tired before the fight ends...and when the techniques go out the door--what do you have left?

Sanjuro...good points...but I like to sometimes push myself that much more, extreme training that's only done once in a while. I believe it's called shugyo in Japanese.
    Hi Van, regarding the fine motor skills when gassed. Many people expect to see "perfect" form in fights and full contact events. An example is that boxers sometimes throw wide round punches yet they're trained to throw tight punches. When you're gassed and your heartbeat reaches a certain level "perfect" techniques can go out the window. I used to say a fighter should have done this or done that until I got into the ring for the first time. When people who have never fought trash talk about fighter I laugh.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 05-07-2008 at 12:06 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Shugyo or "austere" training relates more to hardship than intensity, but I know what you mean.
    I do a week on week off type of thing.
    One week I go balls to the wall at least 3X a week (puking is almost inevitable lol) and the next week its more moderate, though my moderate tends to still be a tad HIIT.

I do recommend probably 2 weeks mod, one week intense for most though.
    Always best to have some left in the tank, never wanna have to use your uber-deadly skills and be to tired from working out !

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Hi Van, regarding the fine motor skills when gassed. Many people expect to see "perfect" form in fights and full contact events. An example is that boxers sometimes throw wide round punches yet they're trained to throw tight punches. When you're gassed and your heartbeat reaches a certain level "perfect techniques can go out the window. I used to say a fighter should have done this or done that until I got into the ring for the first time. When people who have never fought trash talk a fighter I laugh.
    Excellent point General Phillipe

Form goes out the window when fatigue sets in and in a real fight, that is surprisingly early.
    Last edited by sanjuro_ronin; 05-07-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Excellent point General Phillipe

Form goes out the window when fatigue sets in and in a real fight, that is surprisingly early.
    My post should have read; "When people who have never fought trash talk about fighter I laugh".
    Back to Mavis Beacon . . .
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Many years ago when I started WT it was customary when you trained solo with a teacher that once in a while he would drive you to the point where you could barely lift your arms. then keep hittin and kicking you some more just to toughen you up.
    Many a time I remember dangling around just trying to keep my guards up while I got pounded. Great fun, well after a few days of rest anyways

In the danish military we have a saying
    you can do twice as much as you think. 3 times as much as your buddies think and 10 times as much as your mother think

Yep yep...that's the idea I was trying to get across...thanks for the elaboration Phil!

Soooo to expand on the conditioning....

How long of a fight do you each think you could for? Say 2 minute rounds?