Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Conditioning and wing chun

trained like that under my Sifu Ken Widman. It really did wonders for my shoulders. High intensity training should be incorporated in your training regimen in order to really understand and push the limits of your body. There are so many aspects in a conflict, and one should be prepared to deal with it all. Some fights are going to last 10 seconds, and others 2 minutes or longer. You have to be prepared for almost anything in a fight. Period.

The way I spar in striking is the same as grappling; Six 4-minute rounds with a minute break in between every other day. It started off as just 2 4-minute rounds, but my cardio improved, and I can go longer. Depending on the day, I can go almost 45 minutes under high intensity training. I still have a long way to go though.

Excellent videos, and I tip my hat off to you Mr. Redmond. To still be training in the wicked style at 62 is an accomplishment. I also seen some pictures of you online back in the day. You and Chueng were ripped.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    If anyone here was a student in Duncan Leung's school in NYC or their Sifu was they can tell you you about the way we trained WC. Keith Mazza's first WC Sifu also trained there.
    so we both know about training WC for real combat. There were times where I did so much chi sao that I couldn't take my shirt off at night. When I sparred I could keep my arms up and fresh longer than my opponents because of that training. We also conditioned our natural weapons. Sifu Cheung and Bruce Lee also came from an intense training background by doing drills over and over and over until exhaustion. In a real fight exhaustion is a big factor because your life can be on the line. You don't get that from low intensity training.
    Last edited by kamikaze; 05-11-2008 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I am sorry that I do not have the sources to back that up, but this was all back before most of you and while others of you were still crapping yellow, so most of it is now just forgotten. Every few generations things are again revived or invented that were popular or well known several generations back. I guess that if it afforded someone a good laugh it was worth something. However, for you young guys that are banging away on stuff, you still have a way to go before you come to realize the wisdom of what I am saying. But by then you will have forgotten, and it will be to late to stop doing it. I can say for certain that my own hands have suffered from this and for the most part I can not make a fist with my right hand. Some need to be convinced, but ignorance to these things will not protect you.

But you don't seem to have any brain damage.......????????

Quote Originally Posted by madsox View Post
    My first week back on the forums, and I'm already laughing my rear end off - LCP is apparently a Past Grand Master of Super High Intensity Training, possibly even the Banged-Up Long Line style...

Me, I likes a little intensity in my training - if you don't work hard in training, you'll pay for it in the ring (or real world, depending).

As I learned in Sifu Phil's alma mater, "the more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in war."

Speaking of which, he and Master Cheung aren't all that far away from me now. Hmm...

Thinkin' again, time to train!

SF,
    afm
    Send me a PM with your email address so that I can contact you.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr