Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cramping and muscle pain

cramping and muscle pain

I have been plagued with Bicep and leg cramping for some time.
    I have been eating bananas so its prob not potassium . I'm drinking enough water... any other ideas? its gotten so bad during rolling i almost tap... lol

any ideas?

I used to cramp a lot in my old kung fu school in DC.
    The solution they had for me was sodium and water; so I'd carry a salt shaker to class and try to drink as much water as I could stomach to stay hydrated.

In your case, are you sure it's not overuse, overtraining, or possibly damage?
    My coworker grapples and he does 30 rep sets of bicep curls just to increase his bicep endurance - according to him it makes a huge difference in his grappling.
    If that's the case, epsom salt baths help, try increasing your protein, and maybe some L-Glutamine.
    Some of the recommendations for shin splints might help as well.

hope it gets better.
    if all else fails email cjurakpt
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    I have been eating bananas so its prob not potassium . I'm drinking enough water... any other ideas? its gotten so bad during rolling i almost tap... lol

any ideas?
    Try diching carbonated beverages? And bananas aren't nesissarily the best potasium rich food. It has a lot of potasium, but not nesisarily the other minerals needed for your body to use it effectivly. Here's an interesting article on the topic:
    http://www.eatpotassiumrichfoods.com/

Here's a list on high potasium foods if you want it.
    http://www.essense-of-life.com/info/potassiumfoods.htm
    Last edited by Becca; 05-06-2008 at 10:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I drink 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar after I workout. Seems to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I used to cramp a lot in my old kung fu school in DC.
    The solution they had for me was sodium and water; so I'd carry a salt shaker to class and try to drink as much water as I could stomach to stay hydrated.

In your case, are you sure it's not overuse, overtraining, or possibly damage?
    My coworker grapples and he does 30 rep sets of bicep curls just to increase his bicep endurance - according to him it makes a huge difference in his grappling.
    If that's the case, epsom salt baths help, try increasing your protein, and maybe some L-Glutamine.
    Some of the recommendations for shin splints might help as well.

hope it gets better.
    if all else fails email cjurakpt
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Try diching carbonated beverages? And bananas aren't nesissarily the best potasium rich food. It has a lot of potasium, but not nesisarily the other minerals needed for your body to use it effectivly. Here's an interesting article on the topic:
    http://www.eatpotassiumrichfoods.com/

Here's a list on high potasium foods if you want it.
    http://www.essense-of-life.com/info/potassiumfoods.htm
    thanks for the links I give them a read. I drink allot of water so its not hydrating thats the problem. It could be overuse.. but that won't stop me(i'm too stubborn).
    I stopped doing arm stuff in the morning.. thinking thats the problem. Maybe I go back to it and see if that helps. I don't drink carbonated drinks, I thought bananas was the best thing to eat.. ok hmm my multi-vitamin doesn't have potassium...
    I'll update when something changes..

cramps

Try quinine water. The reason it is used for malaria is for the cramps, not the disease. I have also been told to take calcium/magnesium as well. I get cramps in the bottom of my feet but not very often.

You're prolly in good health monji but it wouldn't hurt to get your blood
    pressure and cholesterol checked as cramps are also a sysmptom of
    poor circulaton. Also make sure you stretch the affected areas often. Massages
    and hot/warm compresses help me as i tend to cramp a bit as well, but mine
    are usually in the hamstring and calf areas and also my hands/fingers and
    usually after over exertion like a long sweaty day at work and then trying to
    work out at night. duh.
    no matter how many times the ball bounces, there's still no bones in ice cream...

I tried grape seed extract a COQ10 and it worked.

And also FYI a few prunes have double the potassium of a banana.
    no matter how many times the ball bounces, there's still no bones in ice cream...

Na, na, na. You don't get to give up without posting something intelligent to cut the BS with Chris. Are you sugesting that maleria treatments wouldn' work for run-of-the mill training issues?
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Cramping is sometimes caused by dehydration, drink more water Try Os-Cal effervescent it works great KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Huh?? Did i post something stupid for you to be done? I must've missed
    something for you to say you're done. Or are you referring to the malaria
    thing?? Jus' wondering because you seemed to be replying to my post but i
    was just giving the advice given to me by my physician after i complained of
    muscle cramps and ironically heard the same advice yesterday on the radio
    from an osteopath. But i know you're a knowledgable guy in these matters
    so i actually was looking forward to your advice.

corey

Quote Originally Posted by jow yeroc View Post
    Huh?? Did i post something stupid for you to be done? I must've missed
    something for you to say you're done. Or are you referring to the malaria
    thing?? Jus' wondering because you seemed to be replying to my post but i
    was just giving the advice given to me by my physician after i complained of
    muscle cramps and ironically heard the same advice yesterday on the radio
    from an osteopath. But i know you're a knowledgable guy in these matters
    so i actually was looking forward to your advice.

corey
    LOL! Chris is a very well know PT in the real world and gets disgusted with on-line "medical advise" from time to time. His objections were not nessisarily to the cure, but to the fact that a cure was offered without a medical examination by people who are obviously not medical professionals.

Oh, OK and excuuuuse the hell outta me. Didn't think i needed a medical
    degree to help a friend out with cramps. FWIW i did say he should have his
    bp and cholesterol checked which implies he should see a physician as i do
    for a yearly physical but i take your point. Thanks.

ps: these statements have not been evaluated by a medical professional
    and should not be considered a cure or treatment endorsed by the FDA.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post

any ideas?
    i didn't read any one elses posts so sorry if i repeat something that was already said. try exercising complimentary muscles. if your bicep cramps do more pushups to exercise your triceps. if its your quads work your hamstrings and vice versa. a lot of people i know that maintain proper hydration and still regularly cramp can attribute it to muscle inbalances. also bananas aren't the best source of potassium. they are better than nothing but there are foods/supplements that you could take that would help more,