Thread: fung siu ching and xing yi

fung siu ching and xing yi

I remember reading somewhere that there was a theory that Fung Siu Ching, being an Imperial constable, combined his wing chun with other arts, and one of them is xingyi. Is this corroborated with any evidence? Who was the one who brought out this theory?

Are there any other Northern martial arts that could have influenced wing chun?

Thanks again

Blog Entries
    I thought Fung Siu ching was a tai chi expert before learning wing chun. That's why there is so much kum na, fan kum na, and sut gow in his wing chun system.

Interesting. Never heard about any wing chun system that was combined with any of the big three internal arts like Tai chi, Hsing I, or Paqua.

I've always liked the directness of Hsing I personally. There was a bit of time when I probably could have studied it here in San Antonio, but the gentleman that taught it left not too long after he got to town.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Hello,

The Fung Siu Ching story comes from Mr. Ken Fish. A "Hsing Yi" player who studied with Dr. Henry Leung way back. This is the source of the Fung Siu Ching & Hsing Yi connection. Ken has a web site called; Empty Flower.

Jim

Basically, I think there is no direct connection between Xing Yi and WCK. There are a lot of similarities of straight punch, body unity, close distance, etc., though.

I do not think Fung Siu Ching studied Xing Yi.

Notes: Some accounts maintain Fung was originally from the north, anywhere from Hunan to Hubei provinces and that he had previous martial experience in systems from Hung Kuen to Ying Yee Kuen (Xingyiquan).
    http://www.wingchunkuen.com/
    Simply put people have always been fond of sharing information for various reasons
    in this regard Fung Siu-Ching was probably no different than most.

taichi4eva,
    They are valid questions and they like many others still require much more research on the part of the individual asking such questions probably as much as it does from those who would presume to be able to provide any definitive answers.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

I trained in Xingyi for five years. IMO the philosophical bases of Xingyi and WC are fundamentally different. The "similarities" are to my mind about as valid of those of WC and Western Boxing, perhaps even less so. There are only so many ways for the human body to move.

This is not to say that the two arts couldn't complement each other or that it wasn't ever done successfully in the past. IMO it would be sometihng that an individual could achieve, but that would be difficult to formalise for teaching purposes, due to the conflicting philosophies of the two arts, which IMO outnumber the similarities.

Simply put people have always been fond of sharing information for various reasons
    IMO this has been the exception rather than the rule where Wing Chun is concerned.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!