Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Schools and Sifu's in Tx

Not sure. I only talked to him for a short while about the school. Seems very good but no sparring as of now. Would not suprise me if he did.

Maybe Songshan would know.

hmm.....

Berkley California? I know of some students that went to California for a demo and some that went to Li Peng's shaoln tourney some time ago.

As far as the sparring goes, SXH is very well skilled to teach....it's just not enough student interest to make a class. So instead SXH teaches Chin na.

Oh yeah, just to clarify Shi Yan Feng is teaching on the weekends in the Sugar Land, Fort Bend County area. He is teaching out of a Tae Kwon Do place that is hosting him at the moment. He also teaches on some weeknights in the copperfield area in NW Houston area by same Tae Kwon Do host. His phone number is still good on his web site.

Xingying has a new location

Good to hear he's doing well enough to expand.
    The International Shaolin Wushu Center of Austin grand opening celebration
    Saturday, September 12 2009, 1:00pm - 5:00pm

In an event open to the public, 32-generation Shaolin monk Shi Xing Ying will visit Austin to bless and perform at the grand opening of the International Shaolin Wushu Center on Sept. 12 from 1-5 p.m. The new ISWCATX center is located at 10401 Anderson Mill Road, Ste. 116.

After only three years, the ISWCATX has outgrown the space at Austin's Asian American Cultural Center and is moving to a new location.

"It’s a bittersweet moment for me,” said Scott Pettengill, the founder of the expanding martial arts school. “I’m sad to be leaving the AACC, where our school has enjoyed such success and support from the people there. But it’s tremendously exciting to be moving to a larger site where we will be able to expand our programs and offerings.”

Pettengill started the ISWCATX in June 2006, teaching Shaolin Kung-Fu to the AACC’s preschool, after-school program and summer camp children. He also teaches Chinese martial arts to the general public. He will continue with the AACC children’s programs after moving to the larger location, which will allow for additional children’s and adult classes.

The grand opening festivities will start with a traditional Lion Dance to bring good luck to the new school. Following the blessing, students from the Austin and Houston schools will perform martial arts demonstrations and Shaolin monk Shi Xing Ying will give a rare public performance. Complimentary refreshments, special prizes and photo opportunities available.

About International Shaolin Wushu

Shi Xing Ying left his family at the age of six and began studying at the Shaolin Temple in the Henan province of China. He quickly mastered the Shaolin arts and went on to become the 1994 Grand Champion of the Shaolin International Festival held in Dengfeng China. At age 20 he left China for the United States to spread knowledge of the Shaolin Temple arts. Shi Xing Ying's most recent public performance in Austin was at a benefit for the survivors of the devastating earthquakes in China's Sichuan province in 2008.

Scott Pettengill studied and taught martial arts for many years, before following his dream to study authentic Shaolin Kung-Fu. He studied for eight years with Houston monk, Shi Xing Ying and recently traveled to China where he was made a discple of Shi Xing Ying and the Shaolin Temple in a private ceremony.

Additional event information can be found at www.artofshaolin.com along with photos, videos from past performances, and class information. Pettengill teaches traditional Shaolin Kung-Fu, Tai Chi, and Qi Gong to children and adults. Adult contemporary wushu classes are taught by Chris Tong, a seven-year student of Shi Xing Ying and coach of the University of Texas Wushu team.
    Location: 10401 Anderson Mill Road, Ste. 116, Austin, TX 78750
    Contact: Scott C. Pettengill International Shaolin Wushu Center of Austin, (512) 771-4404, spettengill1@austin.rr.com
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Wow, how did you get a hold of our press release? I thought it just went out locally.

Shi Yan Feng

Quote Originally Posted by Songshan View Post
    Oh yeah, just to clarify Shi Yan Feng is teaching on the weekends in the Sugar Land, Fort Bend County area. He is teaching out of a Tae Kwon Do place that is hosting him at the moment. He also teaches on some weeknights in the copperfield area in NW Houston area by same Tae Kwon Do host. His phone number is still good on his web site.
    Update:

Shao Feng now has his own place in north Sugar Land, just a few blocks from my house. Very welcome in our neighborhood too!

I notice that you post his website on here, so you must be a part of his school... welcome to the neighborhood!!!
    Last edited by Skip J.; 09-16-2009 at 06:59 AM.
    .... Skip

how did I get a hold of your press release?

Still no match for my Shaolin web fu!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

So....You think your Shaolin web fu is better than mine eh? Ha ha ha ha ha......

Thanks for the props Gene. As mentioned in the article we had our grand opening ceremony and celebration last Saturday. We did a lion dance, Shifu did a blessing ceremony for the school, and of course demo's of modern, traditional, and Qi Gong. Including Shifu's awesome mantis demo. We got it on video, after it is processed we will put it up on the web. The celebration was well attended despite the fact that we have not had any significant rainfall in 2 years in Austin and it decided to poor down rain that day like a friggin monsoon. But hey, rain brings good luck right?