Thread: Salvia Divinorum

Salvia Divinorum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum

Anyone ever use this herb? I don't know if this belongs here in the main forum or in the herb forum, as I assume this discussion has a political as well as herbal aspect to it.

Just curious. Can anyone describe its effects from firsthand experience?

Salvia was/is traditionally used as a hallucinogenic mushroom substitute during the dry season in South/Central America. It grows wild, but there is also a variety that researchers speculate has been cultivated for at least a Millenium.

Fresh salvia is weaker in effect than fresh mushrooms, but it is a useful substitute in rituals, ceremonies, and journeys. The wild variety is rarer, more potent, and more desirable. The cultivated variety is more common, and it's often possible to buy clones of this variety from various botanical outlets or local herbologists.

The traditional method of use is to roll up a dozen or so leaves into a cigar shape, then tuck the cigar under your lip or into your cheek, beside your gums, and let your saliva act on the roll for 15-20 minutes.

These days you can buy a salvia extract, which is popular with weekend psychonauts. I personally recommend avoiding any refined substances, however. If the use of salvia is required, try to find a raw source (as is the case with any herb.)

CSP
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

I've never even heard of it until today.

So, say, like, you, oh, I don't know, partook of some salvia divinorum, or, let's say your friend did, and then you took a drug tests, would you get some weird results in the next couple of days?

Not that I'm, uh, thinking of partaking of any or anything like that..........

Doors of Perception and all that stuff....

Salvia is legal in most places. I don't know of any tests being done for it. Scientists are still not quite sure what the active psychotropic substance in the plant is.

CSP
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Salvia is legal in most places. I don't know of any tests being done for it. Scientists are still not quite sure what the active psychotropic substance in the plant is.

CSP
    From what I hear there are only three states in which it is illegal (Tenn., , but some mother of a kid that committed suicide in '06 blames it on the herb use, not the fact he killed himself with carbon monoxide poisoning, and is leading some kind of crusade to get it placed on a congressional chopping block.

Typical US drug policies and paranoia. I'm surprised they haven't banned energy drinks by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    So, say, like, you, oh, I don't know, partook of some salvia divinorum, or, let's say your friend did, and then you took a drug tests, would you get some weird results in the next couple of days?
    1. No, it would not show up.

2. even if it did, what would happen to you? It's legal in most states.

As for the effects, drink it in tea (steep, not infuse) or tincture form for a more lasting effect at lower doses.

Smoke it in higher doses.

Vaporization is superior to smoking.

Oh my. First of all, they know full well the active component of salvia. Its salvinorin A. Second, it doesn't work in teas AT ALL. Its not orally active. Any activity through that method is due to absorbing the chemical through the skin, tea not being an efficient way to do this. Chewing a quid as one poster described is a much better way if you're looking for a slow, more subtle experience with the herb. However, a dozen leaves under the tongue is insufficient to achieve a visionary dose. I usually roll up about 64 leaves into 8 quids and chew those slowly until the effects come on.

In terms of natural vs unnatural salvia, I'd have to say that it depends on what you're looking for. If you want to meditate on the nature of nonexistence, smoke the extract in high doses. if you're lucky, you'll see the universe die. If you'd rather see a light, possibly creepy experience with a chance of ego death, then chew dried leaf.

If you're not into psychedelic drugs and you don't know what ego death is, LEAVE THIS STUFF ALONE. You'll either be bored senseless because it doesn't work, or be traumatized because it DOES work.

Quote Originally Posted by OsirisBJJ View Post
    they know full well the active component of salvia. Its salvinorin A.
    Ok, I thought there was some contention as to whether or not it was Salvinorin A. or Salvinorin B. that was the active substance.

Do they know what Salvinorin B. does yet?

Oh my. First of all, they know full well the active component of salvia. Its salvinorin A. Second, it doesn't work in teas AT ALL.
    No, teas don't work unless you use incredibly high amounts.
    Last edited by NJM; 05-07-2008 at 09:11 PM.

Greetings..

Check out this site, best by far..
    www.sagewisdom.org
    The tincture is consistently reliable, and the chemist is fanatical about purity and responsibility.. leaves vary in potency, but.. you can use the tincture to enhance your favorite leaf supply.. the experiences are indescribable.. from consciousness expanding to consciousness destruction.. (then, it wears off).. no detrimental after effects.. but, if you're going for the deep work, have a responsible watcher around..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Ok, I thought there was some contention as to
    Do they know what Salvinorin B. does yet?
    I don't think they know if it does anything at all at this point.

Oh my. First of all, they know full well the active component of salvia. Its salvinorin A. Second, it doesn't work in teas AT ALL. Its not orally active. Any activity through that method is due to absorbing the chemical through the skin, tea not being an efficient way to do this. Chewing a quid as one poster described is a much better way if you're looking for a slow, more subtle experience with the herb. However, a dozen leaves under the tongue is insufficient to achieve a visionary dose. I usually roll up about 64 leaves into 8 quids and chew those slowly until the effects come on.

In terms of natural vs unnatural salvia, I'd have to say that it depends on what you're looking for. If you want to meditate on the nature of nonexistence, smoke the extract in high doses. if you're lucky, you'll see the universe die. If you'd rather see a light, possibly creepy experience with a chance of ego death, then chew dried leaf.

If you're not into psychedelic drugs and you don't know what ego death is, LEAVE THIS STUFF ALONE. You'll either be bored senseless because it doesn't work, or be traumatized because it DOES work.
    What is this Ego death?

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    What is this Ego death?
    Your ego (seat of consciousness) disassociates.