Thread: Question about internal blocking

Hybrid View

Question about internal blocking

Wanted to see if you guys in here could elaborate on something for me! I came across this in another forum, and though I've trained in internal styles before, I never came across specific references to this in either instance. Did a search about it, still nothing on it. I'm sure it could simply be the semantics of it all...but just in case:

I'm looking to see if any of you have heard of "live blocks" vs "dead blocks" directly from your Sifu's...I'm looking for someone who's actually been taught something about this as opposed to you guys delibarating on what the meanings might / could be.

I've taught others about making your techniques "alive" as opposed to "dead" but this was dealing in terms of making something your own, using in a spontaneous manner, and not being constricted by doctrine. Never heard it as far as a real concept specifically related to blocking in the internal martial arts.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

The only time I have heard of "dead blocks" are those done with a "dead" arm, as in "dead weight".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I know what you mean Sanjuro...but I'm not looking for conjecture here...just first hand knowledge right now.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    I know what you mean Sanjuro...but I'm not looking for conjecture here...just first hand knowledge right now.
    First hand knowledge of what?
    Can you be more clear?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sure!

I'm looking to see if someone who trained in the internal martial arts has come into first hand knowledge of the ideas about live and dead blocks....meaning if it was a concept specifically given to them by their sifu to describe a blocking methodology.

I'm sure my sifu has mentioned it before, especially in striking. (striking with a dead fist)

But the blocks we practiced are mostly live blocks (San Soo specifically) where you're hacking the **** out of their attacking arm, big swing into it.
    Mark