Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about internal blocking

Question about internal blocking

Wanted to see if you guys in here could elaborate on something for me! I came across this in another forum, and though I've trained in internal styles before, I never came across specific references to this in either instance. Did a search about it, still nothing on it. I'm sure it could simply be the semantics of it all...but just in case:

I'm looking to see if any of you have heard of "live blocks" vs "dead blocks" directly from your Sifu's...I'm looking for someone who's actually been taught something about this as opposed to you guys delibarating on what the meanings might / could be.

I've taught others about making your techniques "alive" as opposed to "dead" but this was dealing in terms of making something your own, using in a spontaneous manner, and not being constricted by doctrine. Never heard it as far as a real concept specifically related to blocking in the internal martial arts.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

The only time I have heard of "dead blocks" are those done with a "dead" arm, as in "dead weight".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I know what you mean Sanjuro...but I'm not looking for conjecture here...just first hand knowledge right now.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    I know what you mean Sanjuro...but I'm not looking for conjecture here...just first hand knowledge right now.
    First hand knowledge of what?
    Can you be more clear?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sure!

I'm looking to see if someone who trained in the internal martial arts has come into first hand knowledge of the ideas about live and dead blocks....meaning if it was a concept specifically given to them by their sifu to describe a blocking methodology.

I'm sure my sifu has mentioned it before, especially in striking. (striking with a dead fist)

But the blocks we practiced are mostly live blocks (San Soo specifically) where you're hacking the **** out of their attacking arm, big swing into it.
    Mark

Ah...okay...so you're using your block as an offensive measure as well as defensive? So then the definition of the live block according to your system is to use it in an offensive manner?

Never heard of "live or dead blocking." That being said....

"Blocking" is a bit of mis-nomenclature with most martial arts / artists. A block by definition is when you stand 20 feet away throw a baseball, and I throw a baseball and knock it out of the air! Most MLB players could do no such thing, and most people I know in the MA cannot either. A more accurate way to protect yourself from strikes is to slip and cover, much like boxers do. This is how I have been taught from my teacher. The second you put out a limb to "block" a strike you open yourself up for the follow up.
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Sooo.....

the catalyst for this thread seems to think that you all don't have the inside line on "live" and "dead" blocking...or that you simply don't want to speak up for fear of being ridiculed.

So do you guys think he's right or is it that perhaps it's just a misunderstanding of semantics? Anyone out there with a decade or two of internal training have any ideas as to this subject?

I honestly would like to know a little more about this. I've studied a couple of internal arts and have not heard those terms used...ever. Perhaps it's just terminology that his sifu uses for something that might be a universal theory in internal arts...not sure because the guy won't elaborate on his rhetoric.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If he doesn't explain himself, what good is his teaching?

If he is using terms no one seems to understand, who benefits?

What is the rest of his character like? Is he using ambiguous terms to sound mysterious and wise?

I know of a Sifu who is as dumb as a door. He can barely read and is generally immature. He uses profound silence and pithy non-sense in order to avoid answering questions he can't answer and to boost his aura as a mysteriously wise instructor.

One other thing,

if it is not a term that is generally known after a couple of thousand or so years of MA's, how important can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    If he doesn't explain himself, what good is his teaching?

If he is using terms no one seems to understand, who benefits?

What is the rest of his character like? Is he using ambiguous terms to sound mysterious and wise?

I know of a Sifu who is as dumb as a door. He can barely read and is generally immature. He uses profound silence and pithy non-sense in order to avoid answering questions he can't answer and to boost his aura as a mysteriously wise instructor.

Wow...you've pretty much described him to a tee. That's amazing...and I completely understand what you mean. I've been going rounds with this guy intellectually on another thread and everytime I see one of his posts, there's always someone that questions an odd statement he makes about internal arts or his training thereof...and he goes on the defensive as opposed to backing up or elaborating on his statements. The one time he tried to elaborate, the person he was talking to just so happened to have much more experience than him on the very subject and it got ugly after that.

I'm more of a realist when it comes to martial arts, and just wanted to get some feedback from those that studied the more internally focalized arts to see if these terms were simply unknown to me, or to a majority. He seems to think that anyone that knows anything about the real internal arts will definitely know what the terms mean without elaboration. Ho hum....

Yes, there are those who buy into the all-knowing and wise MA teacher and cultivate a contrived image of themselves in order to receive adulation from naive students.

The words certainly must mean something to him, but if he won't explain what it means to anyone else then it gives the impression, or rather it appears he is trying to give the impression, that he possesses "special" knowledge. It becomes, "I know something you don't know! That makes me smart, wise and special, while you are just an insignificant nobody!"

There is such a thing as a "live limb" and a "dead limb", an "alive mind" and a "dead mind", an "alive body" and a "dead body". Perhaps he has an incomplete understanding of these concepts and is feigning wisdom, or perhaps he is trying to use the same principles and apply them to blocks.

Could you then elaborate on the alive and dead aspects of the limb and or mind? Perhaps by PM?

Sure give me a few mins. I am at work. I am happy to post it here.