Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Question about internal blocking

Mawali,
    I'm puzzled...
    If your teacher wasn't satisified what the first 200 reps you had done, why on earth would he send you back to do another 200 identical reps?
    What caused this dissatisfaction? Were your reps not correct? Not vigorous enough?
    It just doesn't sound very effecient, but maybe I'm not understanding the concept...
    Last edited by Bob Ashmore; 05-30-2008 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Actually, all my coaches and teachers have drilled quality over quantity.
    In boxing and MT we did rounds, never counted strikes at all.
    In Kyokushin, as part of warm-ups in class you count out strikes, but never relaly paid attention to how much.
    Rather do 50 good shots than 200 so-so,s, know what I mean?
    I just asked because I was curious if it was a arbitrary number or one you came up with through experience.

Sanjuro

It seems my Kyokushin training was like yours so let me say that you probably experienced a couple of hundred repetitions per technique and it seemed like the hotter it was outside the more reps we did.

I wonder how all those reps affected my mechanics because after doing (depending on your fitness level) 75-100 punches everyone’s form was compromised. Of course with one good crack of the shinai your form magically improves……

High rep training accomplishes a few things:

1) conditioning,

2) mental toughness, i.e. not giving up when you are fatigued, ability to push yourself beyond where your mental limitations tell you you are able,

3) skill development- this coincides somewhat with mental toughness. if you can focus your mind and maintain technique when you are fatigued your technique improves over time. Observe any well trained boxer who can maintain his form over 12-15 rounds. How does he accomplish this? By training when he is fatigued.

Admittedly there is a problem with practicing poor technique over and over again, but this can be compensated for by alternating fatiguing work outs with shorter technique precision focus workouts.

High Fatigue Training is one method special forces, special teams and the military use to train for effective responses under stressful conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin22 View Post
    Sanjuro

It seems my Kyokushin training was like yours so let me say that you probably experienced a couple of hundred repetitions per technique and it seemed like the hotter it was outside the more reps we did.

I wonder how all those reps affected my mechanics because after doing (depending on your fitness level) 75-100 punches everyone’s form was compromised. Of course with one good crack of the shinai your form magically improves……
    LOL !
    Yeah, well I soon learned to focus on form and leave the "power" for the HB.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    High rep training accomplishes a few things:

1) conditioning,

2) mental toughness, i.e. not giving up when you are fatigued, ability to push yourself beyond where your mental limitations tell you you are able,

3) skill development- this coincides somewhat with mental toughness. if you can focus your mind and maintain technique when you are fatigued your technique improves over time. Observe any well trained boxer who can maintain his form over 12-15 rounds. How does he accomplish this? By training when he is fatigued.

Admittedly there is a problem with practicing poor technique over and over again, but this can be compensated for by alternating fatiguing work outs with shorter technique precision focus workouts.

High Fatigue Training is one method special forces, special teams and the military use to train for effective responses under stressful conditions.
    It has its place, yes.
    No one argues that, its just that you can't put a number on it.
    One man's 100 is another mans 30, know what I mean.
    As for boxers, we/they don't really punch all that much, maybe what 30-40 puncher per round?
    If that?
    So even in a 10 round fight, that is 30 minutes of fighting, that is 300-400.
    In training that would probably equal a good G note in the over all course of training, though I think most of us will do that in the course of a given training session.

Of course, aerobic fatigue and anerobic are two different things...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ashmore View Post
    Mawali,
    I'm puzzled...
    If your teacher wasn't satisified what the first 200 reps you had done, why on earth would he send you back to do another 200 identical reps?
    What caused this dissatisfaction? Were your reps not correct? Not vigorous enough?
    It just doesn't sound very effecient, but maybe I'm not understanding the concept...
    Sometimes, I will admit, I am a dunce so it made sense.
    Different cultures have differnt ways of persuasion, rightly or wrongly.
    I remember a few situations where I did not do my analysis and parsing assignment for my 11+ Examination (British/English education system) and I got a specific problem wrong, I had to write it 50-100 times!
    Maybe I had an attitude problem, or I was just anti-social, I will never find out!
    Perhaps it was too half hearted!
    I still do not have a clue but god is great and wonderful!

Talent on loan from the creator with one hand behind my back!

It has its place, yes.
    No one argues that, its just that you can't put a number on it.
    One man's 100 is another mans 30, know what I mean.
    As for boxers, we/they don't really punch all that much, maybe what 30-40 puncher per round?
    If that?
    So even in a 10 round fight, that is 30 minutes of fighting, that is 300-400.
    In training that would probably equal a good G note in the over all course of training, though I think most of us will do that in the course of a given training session.
    Well 30-40 is the heavy weights. Some of the smaller guys do 80-100, but I get your point. At some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Well 30-40 is the heavy weights. Some of the smaller guys do 80-100, but I get your point. At some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in.
    100 punches per 3 minute round ??
    Dude !
    Gotta see that punch counter, I never threw that many in any of my fights !
    LOL !

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    all true - but........
    Hi Chris,

As usual, you have said nothing I can argue with or add too!

100 punches per 3 minute round ??
    Dude !
    Gotta see that punch counter, I never threw that many in any of my fights !
    LOL !
    All you gotta do is watch the punch counter at the end of each round. I have seen guys average 80-90!

All you gotta do is watch the punch counter at the end of each round. I have seen guys average 80-90!
    Good point, I remember Mayweather averaging over 100 VS Chanves, but only 40 vs De lahoya.

I guess it depends on how many are power punches and how many are jabs.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    ok, how about "I hate you and want you dead"? (and I mean that in the broadest sense, in terms of you being able to apply that statement to me as well, or to anyone in general)

discuss...
    Well, I have already made my intentions known in that arena. I just have to wait 20-30 years now til my daughter grows up and I have paid for her wedding. It would be selfish of me to exercise my homicidal tendencies before she is grown and has a home of her own. But after that, Watch Out!! I'll be coming for you!

Just look for the old guy with his pants pulled up to his chest, a walker and a Judo Katana in one hand!

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post
    Just ignore cjurakpt before he starts to rant using his "Kacademic" jargon on you. You see, he thinks it makes him sound intelligent.

No, it makes you look stupid.

HEY !!
    The clapper activated shaken are my idea, I have the patent pending !!
    Along with the 4X4 V8 Wooden dummy and the One Size fits all sumo thong !