Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Question about internal blocking

I better be sure to oil the my walker wheels real well and blow on my massager's whistle to throw you off!

Maybe I could put my daughter in a little mini skirt as a combination distraction and reward for you. It will be a pleasant treat for you as your blood slowly drips onto the pavement. You will know it was me by my high pitched cackle as your world turns dark!

I understand high repitition training, I've done it myself, but I've never been sent off alone to do it. My instructor stood right there and made darned sure I was not only doing 200 reps, I was doing 200 correct reps. Or 500, or 1000, whatever the seemingly (to me) arbitrary number of the day was.
    I guess that's why I was puzzeld by the idea of being sent off to do something like that on your own, then being sent off to do it again with what appeared to be no revision for correctness.
    It can't see it helping, ever, to do something incorrectly 400 or more times....
    But that's just me. To each their own.

I don't really see a "real life" need for that kind of thing, for me, at this point in my life.
    I fought in a couple of local tournaments back in my TKD days, when I was quite young and fighting seemed like fun. I didn't win, but I had fun doing it.
    I remember being in what I considered at the time to be excellent condition and could punch and kick for hours without getting tired. It was fun, not work at all.
    I've also been in more than my fair share of what you would call "street fights", having grown up in a city with a high crime rate it was sort of inevitable. I didn't win all of them, but I've lived through them all so far. It's a score I'm proud of.
    The difference between these two kinds of "fights" are huge.
    For one, on the "street" (read that to mean anyplace but in a ring or an a mat) the guy you're fighting isn't likely to be very well trained. There will be exceptions, but mostly not.
    In a ring or on the mat the guy you're fighting probably is at least trained fairly well.
    My experience has been that in "the ring" your opponent is going to be at least as tough and have as much training and endurance as you do, so this is likely to be a long fight. You need to be in extraordinary shape to do that.
    On "the street" the fight is going to be over very, very quickly 99.9% of the time. How much "shape" do you need to be in for that kind of thing?
    I don't train for "ring" fighting any more. I doubt I could go two rounds with all the rules refereed matches have against locking joints, breaking bones, kicking in the groin or knees or ankles, nose breaking or eye gouging... You know, the kind of stuff you're really going to do to someone who is attacking you with bad intent. You're not going to use these "extreme" techniques against a guy who is simply there to play a sport with you but who, like you, still wants to walk away relatively intact. Instead you're going to stand there and pound on each other without ever really "hurting" each other in any permanent sense.
    I have a high regard for people who take the time and put in the effort to do that kind of thing, I just know my time for that is past. Now I just keep up my level of knowledge on technique and practice them as much as I can with my training partners. We don't get crazy and try to kill each other, we just practice the energies correctly against each other and also technique as far as you can without hurting anyone.
    I feel that should be enough to keep me safe on "the street", especially as I wised up and moved someplace with very low crime and haven't seen a "street" fight in about nine years.

Excellent point Bob!

In youth, one trains hard and in old age train soft. Old age can be anything over 45, I guess. As I have expeienced, different style of MA requires different types of shenfa and jibengong.
    Chanssujin-silk reeling exercise required me to do these basic routines to a point that they would become part of form expression (my philosophical bent) so one needed to physiclaly repeat the sequences as opposed to form. As a result, my teacher required us to pay more attention to them. This was all part of the conditioning process distinct from weight lifting, cardiovacular training, belt training (a la shuaijiao albeit borrowed /cross training).

Some people need more reps than others so the reps are never etched in stone. They are adjusted per the individual, his previous training (if any) and his level of fitness/coordination. For me the basics are always independent but part of main routine (aka form) so my bent is on accumulating the jibengong, then shenfa and if even one does not remember the actual form, that level of training can form a foundation for other arts.
    Even though I started out in TKD, (no longer do forms), I still rely on some basic steps like kicking for 50-100 times, elbow striking, etc as it is more than aerobic but still part of memory involvement and muscle stretching in the realm of PNF.
    P.S. i have not had a street fight for over 25 years since from the days of the back streets of Okinawa or Parris Island!

I am not a wing chun person but the repetitions involved, when considering the time put in, is invaluable. Just to say tell the person to do 50 repetitions of the basic routine is to diminish the effort necessary while telling them to do 1000 may seem too much! If you add motivation, enthusiasm, willingness to train and effort then I am sure a happy medium of reps can be decided on!