So after practicing a couple of my favorite forms last night, I started to think about why there are so many forms within my style when a couple would probably do. I thought about it for a bit and then put it out of my mind. Later on while reading "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac, it just hit me. I always say that you have to put things in context-- so why so many forms?---- What I realized is that the masters weren't only passing on martial knowledge to their students- they were giving them a long-term career and a good retirement package.

Most CMA takes at least ten years diligent study to master- go back to a time when there wasn't SSA or Pensions etc. and there weren't a lot of career choices. Let's say you stayed with a master and learned the style in full. He got at least 10 years of pay- and a lifelong friend who'd probably help to support him when the student started his own school and the master retired. Multiply this by a good number of students...

The forms are safe- they provide endless amusement- and they give you something to strive for that can be practiced throughout your whole life. Plus- with enough of them- they can give you a decent life-long income. Not a bad deal.