5 19.23%
  • 25-30

4 15.38%
  • 30-35

4 15.38%
  • 35- ?

13 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At what age do you think you'll peak?

At what age do you think you'll peak?

I'm 26 and feel pretty good, maybe close to the best shape of my life? What age did you peak if you already have?

Of course talking about physically!

I read that women can develop speed/power later in life than men, the best female sprinters are in their 30's where men it's generally 20's.

Thoughts?
    Bless you

All I can think of is that scene in Rocky Balboa..."What, you ain't peaked yet?"

I will never peak. I will plateau...but never peak..
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Its funny, it seems that with every generation, the "peak age' gets older ( 40 being the new 30 and all that).

Physically speaking, performance wise, one peaks at different times for different things.

They say that speed peaks in the mid 20's, strength in the mid 30's and endurance can truly be "all over the place".

MA wise, I would suspect that the "mileage on the engine" is more important than the year of the car.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    I'm 26 and feel pretty good, maybe close to the best shape of my life? What age did you peak if you already have?

Of course talking about physically!

I read that women can develop speed/power later in life than men, the best female sprinters are in their 30's where men it's generally 20's.

Thoughts?
    My peak year for any sport was age 26. I was playing soccer 3 times a week and beach volleyball 3 times a week. I had 17% body fat...ah the good ole days.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    My peak year for any sport was age 26. I was playing soccer 3 times a week and beach volleyball 3 times a week. I had 17% body fat...ah the good ole days.
    If you did that again, do you think you would have that back?
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

there are stages to physical development. they've been mapped for a few years now.

peaking and refining are different but essentially and in a nutshell:

1-18 = bone and tissue development along with internal organs and bowels. everything is growing and tere are massive hormonal fluxes and chemical changes occuring. bone is generally soft and tissue is loose and not dense.

18-30 = bone has sealed at the joint and cartillligenous parts are now ossifying, tissue gets more dense and organs and bowels are now fully formed.

30-40 = best time to make muscle mass even more dense and add tensile strength, bone is about as strong as it is going to get.

40-60 maintain what you can and it will be harder

60+ degradation of the entire machine starts happening as oxygenated free radicals essentially rust you out from the inside.

somewhere between 72-84 most of us can expect to die.

is death a peak? depends on your perspective.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    there are stages to physical development. they've been mapped for a few years now.

peaking and refining are different but essentially and in a nutshell:

1-18 = bone and tissue development along with internal organs and bowels. everything is growing and tere are massive hormonal fluxes and chemical changes occuring. bone is generally soft and tissue is loose and not dense.

18-30 = bone has sealed at the joint and cartillligenous parts are now ossifying, tissue gets more dense and organs and bowels are now fully formed.

30-40 = best time to make muscle mass even more dense and add tensile strength, bone is about as strong as it is going to get.

40-60 maintain what you can and it will be harder

60+ degradation of the entire machine starts happening as oxygenated free radicals essentially rust you out from the inside.

somewhere between 72-84 most of us can expect to die.

is death a peak? depends on your perspective.

Interesting analysis!
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    Interesting analysis!

It's not my own, that's basically the way it is in any physiological study, with of course one or two exceptions because there are always one or two exceptions to the rule.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I voted for 18 -26.

a lot has to do with the life style, too.

we have work/family and other social/church obligation.

there is less time to work out or practice.

mental acuity may be "exercised/maintained" well into the 70's

unless of course, we have genetic disorder such as alzheimer--

Athletically, I peeked at about 36. Although I had a dip at 33 with the back injury.

I think though, if I had the energy to train like I used to, I could still reclaim and surpass my best...I'd like to think that anyway.....all us old ****s like to think that...

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    If you did that again, do you think you would have that back?
    Probably not, my knees and back are shot...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

I think if I had found CMA early in my sports career, my knees and back might have held up better...And yes, a husband, two kids, full time desk job have pretty much cramped my style. In my 20's it was just me, my job and my sports

About 12 years ago...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

define peak.

skill set? 35+ most definately.

athleticism...not too sure. still improving. though injuries are a little harder to shrug off as i age.

mentally? 35+ most definately.

over all full package 35+

A fellow student once asked Sifu this and he dismissed the notion. In martial arts, in terms of street survival, we should never have a peak.
    All things aside, technique is our number one focus. I hope that today I am better than yesterday, and so forth and so on.
    Training to peak is what you do for a sports competition, but it is not a state you can remain in constantly due to wear and tear.
    Athletically we may be better as youth, but we also get much smarter as we age...hopefully!

I can't answer the question. Hopefully I will accomplish my goal of learning an entire kung fu system, then, once I've trained all of it for a considerable amount of time, maybe I will be able to answer that question. But I am still maturing and growing as a student and the concept of peakness isn't one I would consider for martial arts practice...unless you are talking about preperation for an event.
    A unique snowflake