Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bo Fung Do, Anyone Hear of It?

Bo Fung Do, Anyone Hear of It?

Bo Fung Do is some form of KF that came from Wing Chun. Can anyone tell me a bit about it? Seems like a RBSD system which interests me. I never heard of this before. You can also check out www.mwarrior.com

Sounds like the stuff taught by Grandmaster Ai Fu Yoo. He learned it in the province of Poon Tang from a Taoist hermit named Long Duk Dong...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Here is the conversation I had with an instructor of Bo Fung Do.You be the judge:

Me: What style do you teach here?
    BFD: "Bo Fung Do."
    (btw-they pronounce do, "doo" as opposed to "doe". As far as I know, most Korean, Japanese, Cantonese,Toisan,Hakka,Manderin,etc dialects pronounce it do (doe)-if you're gonna make up your own "Kung-Fu" style, you should at least learn how to pronounce it.)
    Me: What is that, I've never heard of that style before.
    BFD: "Oh, it's Wing Chun modified for the street and multiple opponents."
    Me: "Hmmmm, but I thought Wing Chun was developed for that very reason."
    BFD "Well modern people don't fight the same today as they did in the past.
    Me: How so?
    BFD: Well, in the past, people would bow before attacking, and in groups fights,l one would come in, then another, then another.
    Me: So do yo mean to tell me that you based your whole fighting method on what you saw in MOVIES?
    BFD; um...huh?
    Me: Buh-bye!

no exagerration.
    One of their guys who was with them for many years met a Wing Chun Sifu, and when he couldn't hold his old with rank beginners doing very basic drills, he asked the Sifu,"But I thought I was doing Wing Chun"
    The Sifu responded,"I don't know what the heck you were taught, but it wasn't Wing Chun."
    Do the math.

Gotta love the safety furniture, about 3/4 down the page

http://www.mwarrior.com/about.html#instructors

Also, found their vids highly entertaining

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTH9jiYlxjA
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BoFungDo

The very end of the one vid i posted reminded me of the Aiki-jiu jitsu kung fu guy from LI who said he would go on THE HUNT.
    Last edited by Mook Jong; 05-09-2008 at 09:31 PM.
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    I know this place - it's about 10 minutes from my house, you drive by it on the way to the cemetery; which kinda makes sense, based on what they show on those vids...

even I don't dislike you enough to recommend that you go there...
    LOL...now that's funny...and appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    BFD: Well, in the past, people would bow before attacking, and in groups fights,l one would come in, then another, then another..

LOL! And yet. that's exactly what they do in their group fight videos.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Modern Warrior®’s unique training facility includes environmental elements such as scented fog, changes in lighting, fans, distracting noises – and that’s only our gyms. Upon entering our Environmental Simulator Room, students are exposed to rain, snow, thunder and lightening, a hurricane fan, slippery ground and surfaces, getting in and out of a real car, and confined areas including a narrow hallway and realistic elevator. Other confined areas include a full size school bus complete with bus and airline seats, an elevator, narrow hallways and staircases.
    L O FRIGGIN L

Scented fog.....LOL....like Tear Gas, Stink Bombs, and Sassafrasss.....

Sounds like a Disco......

"Modern Warrior's unique training facility includes environmental mood setters such as aromatic incense, a disco ball, and a fat kid in the corner making fart noises with his armpits. Our X-Men-like Danger Room exposes students to our leaky roof, broken air conditioner whihc is on constant freeze, freshly mopped floors, chinese fire drills, and confined areas like the back seat of a volkswagon. Other confined areas like the stairway outside our facility, which you will probably be leaving as soon as you see how lame we are, and we're chasing you down to wrestle our introductory fee from your hands."
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 05-10-2008 at 07:31 AM.

You never know when a telephone pole will fall in the middle of your fight. Realistic indeed!
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Hello....Karate Kid III?

Didn't watch it, barely made it through the first one. Don't tell that actually happened in the film and now it's a part of their 'realistic' training?

It can't possibly be THAT bad can it?
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

situational awareness and scenario training often contains mocked up rooms, planes, buses, and in some cases, whole little towns.

the foam furniture taints the training if you have to go beyond the most rudimentary of concepts.

modified wing chun? why would you modify something taht has already been modified to the smallest amount of material possible from the larger curriculum of Shaolin Kungfu. There's practically nothing there now! Why make a less is more style so much less that it is now not even what it was before? lol

anyway, having gone through the stuff, i fail to see why people make stuff up and then have to attach asian monikers to everything.

just call it american martial arts and leave it at that.

Lots of people borrow from asian martial arts and use that stuff inside a larger system. They give props where props are due, butt hey don't make up words in languages they don't grasp and don't tie a bunch of bogus cultural hoo ha to it.

I've never had a problem with creating a style or a system so long as it has sound method and proven results.

When the jargon and trappings are added in, they make the whole shebang look like a stupid pile of worthless muck.

I also remember being a kid and telling a lie. I was convinced that people would believe me merely because of my own overconfidence in the lie and my inability to ascertain that people are not as stupid as I would wish they would be and not find out my lie. lol. This is something I learned at around 6 years old, not sure how 40+ adults still makie these lame attempts at this. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Sounds like Chuk Kwan Do

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    ROFLMAO!

(you beat me to the Danger Room crack though, so I do hate you for that...)

BTW, the place does look like a total dump from the outside, especially so from the mini-strip mall on the opposite side of the street with the Asian Massage Parlor in it; errr, or so I've heard...
    I know it's lame to laugh at your own jokes, but I could barely even type that, I was laughing so friggin' hard......

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Hello....Karate Kid III?
    Hello....Karate Kid II!!!!! III is with the girl who can play a guy who is really a girl

Get is straight buddy. What would Ralph say to you???

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Hello....Karate Kid II!!!!! III is with the girl who can play a guy who is really a girl

Get is straight buddy. What would Ralph say to you???
    "You're the best, whoa-oa!
    Nothing could ever keep ya down!"

No lie. I went to this Shotokan/Shorin-ryu karate school for a free lesson, and one of the senior students was letting a classmate borrow a special edition DVD collection of the Karate Kid series. He handed it to the other guy and said:

"The trilogy that started it all....."

I was laughing my ass off over in the corner.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 05-10-2008 at 09:21 AM.