Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why you don't need forms...

Why you don't need forms...

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I pity the kid who gets into a playground fight with him, that kid is amazing
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

Focus pads dont hit back KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Neither does the air.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Technically both apply the same force.

Both have merits. Why do people insist that things are one way or the other? They are both, depending on what you want and what you need.

Forms are good and hitting things are good and grappling is good and sparring is good and sticking hands is good.

It's all good.

That was a nice example of a form.

And wow.
    Bodhi Richards

If he did forms he prob wouldnt lift his elbow prior to Jabbing. When you hit something for the sake of speed you will develop poor tech habits the samee applies to seeking power only. Most have the wrong concept of what true power is. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I am not sure how this proves your point. All I can think of is how much more amazing he'd be with forms and teachers who really grasped the forms (which I'll give you is a rare thing). He's fantastic, no doubt about it. Will eclipse most all of us in our lifetimes.

But maxed out? It's really debatable.

You know Tony Jaa has had forms and traditional teachings. Would anyone argue that he isn't fantastically beyond most considered limits of human ability?

Also, Bruce Lee had forms. You just never know what forms do for you until you've had them.... and some will never know.

edit: considering most people lose power in the feet to start with, true power is rarely, if ever attained. I've seen few examples of it. Fortunately for all of us, true power is overkill if you know what to hit.

You know all NBA teams use forms - in the style of plays - and would anyone argue they aren't the cream of the crop in basketball perfection?

You know that olympic swimmers have forms and techniques they practice? And boxers use routine sets of strikes into the air.

There are many styles of forms. I don't see how the lack of learning forms proves their ineffectiveness.
    Last edited by shadowlin; 05-10-2008 at 09:27 PM.

Hey MK, you remember the video posted awhile back with the little kid rolling with his dad in the living room? That would go nice with this clip.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    yes they do.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlin View Post
    You know Tony Jaa has had forms and traditional teachings. Would anyone argue that he isn't fantastically beyond most considered limits of human ability?

Also, Bruce Lee had forms. You just never know what forms do for you until you've had them.... and some will never know.

1. Tony Jaa has "forms" that "look cool" and tranlate to "cinematic imitation by real-life MA's" who have "unreal expectations" of "forms" that "look cool". I agree he's fantastically talented. He's in great shape, he "looks" like he hits hard, and he can do great gymnastics. But he practiced wushu, capoeira, and parkour. Then, he and Panni Rittikrai decided--hey, what if we made Muay Thai "LOOK LIKE IT WAS THE COOLEST", and they tailored it up with the frills and lace of parkour, wushu, gymnastics, and capoeira.

But if you stuck him in the ring with the average fifteen year old Thai amateur, I'm not convinced he'd walk out of the ring with both legs intact. Again, the disconnect between cinema and reality is astounding here.

2. Bruce had forms, and sometimes he used some of the movements in his movies, like everything in his movies, "BECAUSE THEY LOOK LIKE THEY ARE LIKE THE COOLEST THING ON THIS GREEN EARTH"....LOL....

Bruce hit bags, worked with live resisting opponents, etc. Note: He scrapped forms altogether. It's not that his forms made him great. Perhaps scrapping forms and fighting/sparring/hitting bags made him great.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    wow he is going to beat the living crap out of some kid. I can see the lawsuits ...

LOL I like the idea of kids doing forms and not actually learning how to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    wow he is going to beat the living crap out of some kid. I can see the lawsuits ...

LOL I like the idea of kids doing forms and not actually learning how to fight.
    Agreed. As has been proven time and time again, most people need to be taught how to extract the fighting technique from forms, which makes them perfect for kids. You can teach them the techniques, train thir bodies, but hold off teaching them how to actually use them untill they are old enought to use them wisely.

MK, did we really need yet another thread about forms having no value to you? Couldn't you have just made this about a seriously talented kid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

anybody who had that level of training, skill and familial commitment at 5 years old raise your hand.

he appears to be receiving good training geared towards him as a kid.

I am totally ok with this and I admire the kid for his moxy.

if he is full contact sparring at his age, I would rethink that entirely seeing as he is growing and its a good way to cause major problems for him later.

otherwise, cool.

p.s strung combos are forms. and focus mitts while not resistence training are not the same as hitting air. You get push back from your partner to feedback force to you. It's not as intense as pads or heavy bags, but it is about focusing the strikes and aligning the mechanics of the body...which is...well, form work.
    Kung Fu is good for you.