I've been in Henan for the last few weeks, the news that reaches me is PRC, but a couple points I can't help but think about:

1) Whether Chinese leaders moved in for cynical reasons or humanitarian, they moved in. All television was devoted 24-7 to this one thing, entertainment was shut down. While I originally intended to shop a lot here, I instead donated a good chunk of what I brought here, and still feel it is not enough whenever I run into another friend who is worried about family in Sichuan. I hope some notes are being taken back home for the next Katrina, actually doing something instead of bickering seems to have done wonders for political leaders here.

2) American business leaders, whether for cynical or humanitarian reasons, stepped up, the US government did not, and the resentment here is palpable. Really palpable. Even though Japan tends to donate lots to these kinds of things, there is a real cost for the US to allow Japan to out-donate us in China. The party doesn't even need to tell people here what to think about this, it really shouldn't be this easy to be less popular than the Japanese in China. Please pressure your congressmen to do more.

3) If this were karma for Tibet, then it seems odd that the event should strengthen the power of the party. But then, karma is supposed to be all mysterious. Whatever, for the little kids, it's just a disaster, they don't need outside explanations, its just what happened. Tibet and China have a relationship that is complex beyond simple ideas of heroes and villains, but anytime people suffer, it seems unfair, so it's hard to blame the pro-Tibet thing from TWS, I just don't think its that simple.

Anyway, enjoy life.