Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The whole China shakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t9wZ...eature=related

a cool movie. gang la me do (snow lotus).

as people mourn for the losses.

and rescue teams race against time

we send our prayers to the families in the disaster area.

---

for people that are interested in tibet

gang la me do is a good musical movie to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96N2K...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adNA_...eature=related

--

donate to red cross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96N2K...eature=related

--

grandpa was a painter. he went to lhasa and met a beatiful girl.

he painter her a picture. however, the girl was arranged to marry a nobility by her father.

--

grandpa was on the way to meet the girl. they planned to have a secret meeting by the lake.

grandpa fell off the cliff and lost memory.

the girl went to the lake (ran away from the arranged wedding) and waited for grandpa. but grandpa never showed.

so the girl kept waiting by the lake year after year.

she was a good singer and sang gang la me do very well. so everybody called her gang la me do in lhasa.

--

grandpa was always trying to paint her face, but could not remember

right before grandpa died, he remembered suddenly and shouted gang la me do

--

what a romantic story and movie.

--

must see.

--

donate to relief.
    Last edited by SPJ; 04-16-2010 at 07:49 AM.

China earthquake toll rises to 1,144
    By ANITA CHANG, Associated Press Writer
    Friday, April 16, 2010
    (04-16) 09:41 PDT JIEGU, China (AP) --

Tibetan monks prayed Friday over hundreds of bodies at a makeshift morgue next to their monastery after powerful earthquakes destroyed the remote mountain town of Jiegu in western China and left at least 1,144 people dead.

State media on Friday reported that another 417 people remain missing — as rescuers neared the end of the 72-hour period viewed as best for finding people alive. They continued to dig for survivors in the rubble, often by hand.

The official toll was likely to climb further. Gerlai Tenzing, a red-robed monk from the Jiegu Monastery, estimated that about 1,000 bodies had been brought to a hillside clearing in the shadow of the monastery. He said a precise count was difficult because bodies continued to trickle in and some had already been taken away by family members.

Hundreds of the bodies were being prepared for a mass cremation Saturday morning. Genqiu, a 22-year-old monk, said it was impossible to perform traditional sky burials for all. Tibetan sky burials involve chopping a body into pieces and leaving it on a platform to be devoured by vultures.

"The vultures can't eat them all," said Genqiu, who like many Tibetans goes by one name.

China Central Television reported that a 13-year-old Tibetan girl was pulled from the toppled two-story Minzu Hotel on Friday after a sniffer dog alerted rescuers to her location. The girl, identified as Changli Maomu, was freed after a crane lifted a large concrete block out of the rubble, it said. Her condition was good and she was taken to a medical station for treatment, it said.

Relief workers have estimated that 70 percent to 90 percent of the town's wood-and-mud houses collapsed when the earthquakes hit Yushu county, in the western province of Qinghai, Wednesday morning. The strongest of the quakes was measured at magnitude 6.9 by the U.S. Geological Survey and 7.1 by China's earthquake administration.

Xinhua reported that as of Friday evening the confirmed death toll had risen to 1,144, up from 791 in the afternoon. It said 11,477 people were injured, 1,174 severely.

Rescue spokesman Xia Xueping was cited as saying they now had more heavy equipment available — speeding up the process of recovering the dead.

Many survivors shivered through a third night outdoors as they waited for tents to arrive. Hundreds gathered on a plaza around a 50-foot (15-meter) tall statue of the mythical Tibetan King Gesar, wrapped in blankets taken from shattered homes.

Police had to intervene Friday to prevent young men from grabbing tents out of the back of a truck.

"I saw trucks almost attacked by local people because of the lack of food and shelter," said Pierre Deve, a program director at the Yushu-based community development organization Snowland Service Group. "It started yesterday, but you still see some things like this today. It's getting better. Chinese authorities are doing well."

Nonetheless, Deve said his group, which plans to distribute food, medicine, tents, clothes and bedding, was moving out of Jiegu in case things got worse.

"We want to have a place out of the city where we can communicate in a good way, protect the things we need to give to people who need them," he said.

China Central Television reported that about 40,000 tents would be in place by Saturday, enough to accommodate all survivors. Also on the way was more equipment to help probe for signs of life under the debris, it said. The tools include small cameras and microphones attached to poles that can be snaked into crevices as well as heat and motion sensors.

At one collapsed building where people were believed trapped, about 70 civilians, including three dozen Tibetan monks in crimson robes, joined rescue workers.

"One, two, three," the monks chanted as they used wooden beams to try to push away a section of collapsed wall. They later tied ropes to a slab of concrete and dragged it away.

The effort was hampered by the area's altitude, about 13,000 feet (4,000 meters), and Xinhua reported two dozen trained rescuers had to stop working because of altitude sickness. Sniffer dogs were also affected, it said.

Xinhua quoted a local education official as saying 66 children and 10 teachers had died, mostly in three schools, but more remained missing.

Thousands of students died during a massive Sichuan quake in 2008 when their poorly built schools collapsed. But unlike in Sichuan — where schools toppled as other buildings stood — nearly everything fell over in Yushu.

To underline official concern for a Tibetan area that saw anti-government protests two years ago, Premier Wen Jiabao arrived in Yushu county Thursday evening to meet survivors. President Hu Jintao, in Brazil after visiting Washington, canceled scheduled stops in Venezuela and Peru to come home.

Wen, the sympathetic, grandfatherly face of the usually distant Chinese leadership, sought to provide comfort and build trust with the mostly Tibetan victims of the quake.

"The disaster you suffered is our disaster. Your suffering is our suffering. Your loss of loved ones is our loss. We mourn as you do. It breaks our hearts," Wen said in remarks repeatedly broadcast on state TV.

Wen also repeated nearly word for word the promise he made during the Sichuan earthquake: "As long as there's a glimmer of hope, we will spare no effort and never give up."
    uki - We've been discussing that already on our Endangered Species in TCM thread.

D.J. - It'll probably sound a lot like Y2K, like one hand clapping.

D.D. - Thank you for your offer. Let me think of how we might integrate that with our WildAid Tiger Champion
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Uki is right! you guys ever watch Flashforward?

some government power invented a machine that can do everything
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    I'm just glad I have an out. On December 20th, 2012, some alien friends are coming to pick me up in their spaceship.
    LOL... you know 'em too?!?!?

The death toll for this earthquake in China has reached 1700 people.
    http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/0...ina-quake.html

the clean up and rescue continues.
    China is quite capable.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

1900+

Two survivors pulled out of rubble, death toll crosses 1,900
    PTI, Apr 19, 2010, 04.00pm IST

BEIJING: Five days after the devastating earthquake in northwestern China, rescuers today pulled out a four-year-old girl and an elderly Tibetan woman alive under the rubble of a collapsed building, even as the death toll rose to 1,944.

68-year-old Wujin Cuomao and the young Cairen Baji had been trapped for more than 123 hours when rescuers finally managed to pull them out alive in Jiegu, which was the worst hit town in the Qinghai province.

Relatives kept the duo alive by sending them food and water through gaps in rubble with the help of bamboo poles, the official China Central Television reported. It aired the footage of the duo being taken out of the rubble.

Officials put the death toll from the 7.1 magnitude quake at 1,944 and the injured at 12,135. Official Xinhua news agency said out of the injured, 1,434 are in serious condition.

Convoys of military trucks, civilian aid vehicles and ambulances headed to the worst quake-hits areas on the Tibetan plateau.

The rush for tents and relief goods increased with hundreds of people lining up at the relief centres as the extreme cold weather persisted.

Till yesterday 25,000 tents, 52,000 quilts, 16,000 coats and 850 tonnes of instant noodles and drinking water have been dispatched to the quake hit areas.

China has also welcomed aid from countries. Meanwhile, Hong Kong-based Hollywood star Jackie Chan announced a cash donation of three million yuan ($439,477 ) to quake victims.

Chan and Taiwanese actress Vivian Hsu flew to the quake hit areas yesterday and met several people in relief camps.

Chan also donated 1,500 boxes of biscuits, 700 cotton coats and 100 boxes of bottled water. Hsu donated 1,000 cotton-padded quilts.

A geological reconnaissance to turn the quake-hit area into a "plateau ecological tourist centre" by relocating the towns was carried out today.

The framework plan is getting ready to turn the quake-devastated township into "a plateau ecological tourist city," the provincial government of Qinghai announced today.

A team of 16 experts from the Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development and the provincial housing bureau were conducting a field study of the quake zone, Xinhua reported.
    I posted Jackie's donation on his charity thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

death tolls over 2000

april 21st will be the national mourning day.

---

maybe they should take a cue from the Iranians and clean up their act...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8631775.stm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLpx6B-mOss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teFb7YUVA1k

China mourned for the quake at yu shu county (jade tree) in qing hai provence.

Last edited by SPJ; 04-21-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Thumbs up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vit92tVXmAY

JC went to Yu Shu along with relief items and his donation.

Jackie and Jet on the scene

It's good to see our role models are active in the relief effort. It's also nice to see Jackie & Jet get top billing in the effort.
    Stars join quake relief
    2010-04-22 10:00 BJT

Four days after the April 14 Yushu earthquake, movie star Jackie Chan stood in a makeshift orphanage in Yushu and cheered up the children.

Besides a 3-million-yuan donation, Chan also brought 100 boxes of mineral water, 700 items of clothing and 1,500 boxes of biscuits.

"Almost all the houses are unlivable. Some of them are still standing, but the walls are cracked inside. I asked people if there was anyone trapped under a particular house, but they had no idea. I really wish I could be a superman and lift the debris up all on my own. At this moment, I feel so useless. But I know there are many people offering help and I will definitely come back again."

Actor Jet Li arrived in quake-hit Yushu on April 16. As well as bringing more than 10 trucks of food and clothing, he also brought over a hundred volunteers - including four psychologists and one accountant.

"I was abroad when the earthquake happened, but I have an excellent team, the One Foundation. They put together four rescue teams and gathered materials in Xining. Since I arrived in Yushu, our foundation has received 42 million yuan from around the world. I am proud of the online donors because about 65 percent of the money has come from them. Our accountant will make sure every penny is used to help Yushu, just as the donors desire."

From April 15 to 18, singer Han Hong showed up in the Lama Temple in Beijing to collect money for the victims in Yushu. Since she is a judge of the ongoing China Central Television Youth Singing Competition, she has to record every afternoon. As a result of this timetable, she decided to hold charity events every morning.

"Actor Deng Chao and actress Sun Li were the first ones to call me. They said they would contact my team and donate money. They are really good people. Every time I hold this kind of event, they are always the first ones."

As of April 20, Han Hong has collected nearly one and a half million yuan. As a celebrity, she hopes her efforts can attract more people's attention and highlight the issue of Yushu.

"One person is not enough. Even 10 celebrities are not enough. We need everyone's help. We should not give up our courage and strong spirit. We have conquered the Sichuan earthquake; we will stick together and win this battle as well."

To collect money for Yushu, China Central Television held a special charity program this Tuesday. During the three and a half hour show, viewers donated more than 2.1 billion yuan. Over 300 celebrities performed at the event, including singer Faye Wong, magician Liu Qian and actress Zhang Ziyi. A special feature of this event was that there were no solo performances. All the acts were group presentations, and no names appeared on screen. Comedian Zhao Benshan personally donated 2 million yuan.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Han Hong is a very good singer.

especially the high pitch of tibetan songs.

2 nites ago, the CCTV concert that raised money for relief exceeded amount raised for si chuan quake 2 years ago.