Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: The whole China shakes

faye wong or wang fei

she is a very good singer from hong kong.

let me see--

"red bean" or hong dou is my favorite

near where I live, local chinese supermarkets, chinese churches-- also raised some money for the relief

tan wei wei is from si chuan

she is very good with tibetan songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsgucW85454

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vmtvpk2zU4&feature=fvw

Li Na made this song and herself popular thruout China.

Jackie's on point with this

A lot of Asian star power but Jackie makes the headlines.
    Published: 4/27/2010 18:20:05
    Jackie Chan helps raise money for China quake victims
    HONG KONG (AFP)

Action star Jackie Chan and more than 300 entertainers have raised 4.5 million US dollars in a charity concert to help victims of a deadly earthquake in China this month, a report said Tuesday.

The five-hour show on Monday evening also featured stars from China and Taiwan seeking donations, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

"We as a group of artists should make use of our influence to encourage everyone to dedicate their support in any form, especially at such a critical moment," Hong Kong actor Donnie Yen was quoted as saying.

Last week, China held a national day of mourning for the more than 2,200 people who died after the powerful 6.9 magnitude quake struck northwestern China.
    Page last updated at 09:20 GMT, Tuesday, 27 April 2010 10:20 UK
    Jackie Chan in earthquake charity gig

Hollywood actor Jackie Chan has joined more than 100 stars from Hong Kong, China and Taiwain in a charity concert for the recent earthquake in China.

The five-hour gig in Hong Kong raised $4.8m (£3.1m) for victims of the quake, which killed more than 2,200 people.

The disaster struck China's Qinghai province earlier this month.

Chan, who visited the affected area last week, featured in a video produced for the fundraiser, which showed him living with the victims.

Donnie Yen, Leon Lai, Sammi Cheng and Barbie Hsu all participated in the Artistes 414 Fundraising Campaign concert.

Actor Andy Lau said: "The quake area is located in a plateau. It's ten times worse than we thought. And the winter will come soon. It is urgent to take action."

One week after the area was devastated by the disaster, China observed a national day of mourning for victims.

Flags flew at half mast across the country and public entertainment was curtailed as a mark of respect
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Another one

ShaolinDan is in Yunnan now...

Death toll rises to 80 after China earthquakes; hundreds injured
    September 08, 2012|By the CNN Wire Staff

The death toll from earthquakes that rocked southwest China rose to 80 on Saturday, after the tremors destroyed roads and communication lines, and forced tens of thousands of evacuations, state media reported.

More than 800 others were injured in the Friday quakes, according to Xinhua news agency. Officials fear the death toll may rise as they scramble to reach affected areas.

Large rocks blocked roads, and communication lines and other infrastructure were downed, hampering rescue efforts.

About 100,000 people have been evacuated and 100,000 others are in need of relocation, state media reported.

Premier Wen Jiabao, who will direct rescue efforts, inspected stricken areas Saturday and visited the injured.

Initial estimates put the "direct economic losses" from the tremors at more than half a billion dollars, the news agency said.

The four earthquakes struck near the border of Yunnan and Guizhou provinces, the U.S. Geological Survey said. Their magnitudes ranged between 4.8 and 5.6, according to the U.S. agency.

All four quakes struck at a depth of 10 kilometers (six miles).

The southwestern region of China is prone to earthquakes. In May 2008, a magnitude 7.9 quake in Sichuan province caused widespread devastation, killing at least 69,000 people.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Did you just mod yourself?

Lets hope Dan is ok...

That is a lot of people without homes...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

He does a lot of things to himself.

D@mn, hopefully this doesn't leave Dan stranded or worse.

Do they have the infrastructure to deal with this in the first place? That area, I mean? They say that road blockages and building damage has "hampered" efforts. But shouldn't a proper emergency response infrastructure take this into account?

Or is the real problem the HUGE population? Is it unrealistic to keep this many people in one area safe?

I am pretty confident with our preparedness over here in Vancouver. No doubt bad things will happen, but I think we have enough in place to prevent alot of suffering. Only truly unique situations will screw us over, no Katrina unpreparedness type of situation happening here. The city core and uber rural areas will suffer way more than the burbs. We really stepped it up over the last twenty years. Especially in our building code and quality of materials. One without the other is useless. China can have all the code in the world, but as long as they use cheap and substandard materials they will suffer the consequences.

Wow. Thanks for your concern.
    I'm in central, southern Yunnan though, the quakes were hundreds of miles away, I read about them in the news same as you guys did.
    It is scary though. One article was saying China's quake tolls are so high, because of shoddy construction...I'm sure if a quake hit Kunming it would be a really bad scene.
    Not worth worrying about though...I was in Western MA, and I hear they got hit by tornados a few days ago. Such is life.
    Anyway, thanks, I'm fine.

Must be coz we are all gonna die in December ay! The mayan gods are doing some early target practice!

It's sad to hear that news and It's really devastating. I hope everyone in the affected area are all safe. Just make sure to do the precautionary measures for the aftershock attacks. Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by poshmissy View Post
    It's sad to hear that news and It's really devastating. I hope everyone in the affected area are all safe. Just make sure to do the precautionary measures for the aftershock attacks. Be safe.
    Good call, there. Aftershocks can continue for a very long time after the initial quake, and are no less dangerous.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Bummer

30 injured in southwest China quake
    English.news.cn 2013-03-04 00:18:00

KUNMING, March 3 (Xinhua) -- Thirty people have been confirmed injured, including three seriously, after a 5.5-magnitude earthquake hit southwest China's Yunnan Province on Sunday afternoon.

Some 12,000 people have also been evacuated, said the provincial Civil Affairs Department.

The quake hit Eryuan County, Dali Bai Autonomous Prefecture at 1:41 p.m.. The epicenter was in Xishan Township with a depth of 9 km.

Latest statistics showed 92,000 residents were affected by the quake, while 83,434 houses were damaged and 1,781 others collapsed. Infrastructure including schools, transportation and communications systems, water and power lines was damaged to various degrees.

The Yunnan provincial government initiated a grade-III emergency response earlier and later upgraded it to grade-II.

The Civil Affairs Department said 3,000 tents, 7,000 cotton quilts and 7,000 coats were being sent to the quake-hit area.

A quake relief team consisting of more than 400 policemen, fire fighters and soldiers has been dispatched.

Some 34 aftershocks have been recorded after the quake.

In history, 19 earthquakes of magnitude 5 or above occurred within a 50-km radius of the epicenter.
    I wonder if ShaolinDan felt this. He's in Yunnan now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips