Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you measure Gung fu?.

How do you measure Gung fu?.

You can measure looks, body fat and power...if you have cut muscles, low sag and can lift your body weight I would say you are in good shape. What is the test for a Black Belt's shape, or an Olympian Martial Artist's shape?. Jhoon Rhee mentioned in his TKD Pro days he did 1000 push ups every day...

What is yall fitness test to achieve black belt rank in your schools?

Is there a fitness test to get into the NBA and NFL, like if you can't do so many push ups you can't ball!?.

I was thinking about this randomly last night, I don't wish to be a Muay Thai fighter or a pro fighter, but it would be nice to be as fit and slick as one, so I started thinking how do you measure Gung Fu!? How fast is a MT Champs moves, and how long can they maintain power while shadowboxing.

Holla

It's all measured in fighting ability.
    That's why there's fat MMA champs, and ripped guys that get KO'd daily.
    Physique is not the best indicator. It can help you identify certain strengths or weaknesses, but that's about it.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    It's all measured in fighting ability.
    That's why there's fat MMA champs, and ripped guys that get KO'd daily.
    Physique is not the best indicator. It can help you identify certain strengths or weaknesses, but that's about it.
    makes sence...on the grand scheme of things chubby ass sumo would mess up the average martial art dude...thai champs are all fit as heck though...what's the fitness test for a MT champ?. I'm also curious what everyones black belt test is from a fitness perspective...I'm a hobbyist I have taken no tests but this summer I'm all about building my general fitness, elasticity and wind.

pz

How do you measure Gung fu?

With a Fu Meter, of course.

BTW, seen many fat guy in Thailand?
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

I thought that was the person doing the measurement..and that they used a Tai Chi Ruler.

That is the proper use of the tai chi ruler. IE: to measure your kungfu.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

how nice are your pyjamas??
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

In multiple inches... like everything else
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

metric system! when will you damn people finally switch to the metric system!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

People in Thailand are all skinny...or mostly lest somebody bring up a picture to show me I'm wrong.

Diet will get you thin.
    You want to be fit? Do some kettlebells. Those things will get you fit as heck especially if you have a heavy enough bell and do high reps. It's agony at first but the results are incredible.
    A unique snowflake

I agree. Diet will keep you thin, exercise will grow your fitness.

Here's some good routines for kettle bells btw. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kettlebells.htm
    Although, imo, many of the kb routines can be done with regular weights although at higher weights, regular weights are awkward and cumbersome.

so, you could actually start with regular dumbells at low weight and when you're ready to move up to where it's getting big, switch to kettlebells for better maneuvering postures.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 05-14-2008 at 05:52 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Reverse the polarity of your frog exaggerator and you have a kung fu geiger meter.....
    Bless you

oh, and flux capacitors are everything man. Everything.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    oh, and flux capacitors are everything man. Everything.
    There's a river of slime down there!
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post
    I thought that was the person doing the measurement..and that they used a Tai Chi Ruler.

I thought the Tai Chi Ruler was that little man who slaps me when I mess up my "White Crane Spreads Wings.