Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeen Kuen

wait, I just read an earlier post....

Do you mean Sahp Jih JEET Kuyhn??

Jeet as in Intercept....why are you saying Jeen??

Not being antagonistic, just trying to clarify....

I thought everyone heard of Jeet Kuyhn Doe?

maybe it was just a typo when he created the post?

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    wait, I just read an earlier post....

Do you mean Sahp Jih JEET Kuyhn??

Jeet as in Intercept....why are you saying Jeen??

Not being antagonistic, just trying to clarify....

I thought everyone heard of Jeet Kuyhn Doe?
    how about we argue about it for 15 pages
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

It can also be spelled: Jin and means War, altho we use it as Fight or Combat.

It's all good.

nospam
    Last edited by nospam; 05-20-2008 at 07:44 PM.
    佛家

Quote Originally Posted by nospam View Post
    It can also be spelled: Jin and means War, altho we use it as Fight or Combat.

It's all good.

nospam
    ah, well, I know that character and it makes sense (but is different than "jeet" as in "intercept")

"Jin" is often associated with San Sao (applications)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Jeet Kune Do. I was reading a little bit on that. Interestingly enough, I think he used Bak Hsing concepts. We all know he was impressed with the style.

It's all good.

nospam
    佛家

Jeet Kune Do. I was reading a little bit on that. Interestingly enough, I think he used Bak Hsing concepts. We all know he was impressed with the style.

It's all good.

nospam
    I heard that he trained with kajukenbo who was doing mma in the 50's, maybe he did some hop ga style as well in sf...he was buddies with BS GM's the Lacey Brothers

what concepts do you feel he plagarized sp?.

My thoughts about Bruce Lee, Jeet Kune Do & the Bak Hsing Kwoon.

Here is where I read the info on JKD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeet_Kune_Do

Lee almost always chose to put his power hand in the "lead," with his weaker hand back, within this stance he used elements of Boxing, Fencing and Wing Chun. Just like fencing, he labeled this position the "On Guard" position. Lee incorporated this position into his JKD as he felt it provided the best overall mobility. Lee felt that the dominant or strongest hand should be in the lead because it would perform a greater percentage of the work.

This is a Bak Hsing Kwoon method.

Lee felt the dynamic property of JKD was what enabled its practitioners to adapt to the constant changes and fluctuations of live combat. Lee believed that these decisions should be done within the context of "real combat" and/or "all out sparring". He believed that it was only in this environment that a person could actually deem a technique worthy of adoption.

This mirrors Bak Hsing Kwoon training.

Bruce Lee did not stress the memorization of solo training forms or "Kata", as most traditional styles do. Lee believed that real combat was alive and dynamic.

Again, Bak Hsing Kwoon.

When confronting an incoming attack, the attack is parried or deflected and a counter attack is delivered at the same time. Not as advanced as a stop hit but more effective than blocking and counter attacking in sequence. This is also practiced by some Chinese martial arts.

A tenet of Bak Hsing Kwoon.

JKD practitioners believe they should target their kicks to their opponent's shins, knees, thighs, and mid section. These targets are the closest to the foot, provide more stability and are more difficult to defend against.

Although we have Northern kicks, low is the real way to go and make up the primary Bak Hsing Kwoon kicking way.

Now I realise this is more universal but regardless quite representative of Bak Hsing:

Five Ways Of Attack

* Single Angular Attack (SAA) and its converse Single Direct Attack (SDA).
    * Hand Immobilization Attack (HIA) and its counterpart Foot Immobilization attack, which make use of trapping to limit the opponent's function with that appendage.
    * Progressive Indirect Attack (PIA). Attacking one part of the opponent's body followed by attacking another part as a means of creating an opening.
    * Attack By Combinations (ABC). This is using multiple rapid attacks, with volume of attack as a means of overcoming the opponent.
    * Attack By Drawing (ABD). This is creating an opening with positioning as a means of counter attacking.

A philosophical approach:

Jeet Kune Do is merely a name used, a mirror in which to see "ourselves". Either you understand or you don't, and that is that. There is no mystery about my style. My movements are simple, direct and non-classical. The extraordinary part of it lies in its simplicity. Every movement in Jeet Kune-Do is being so of itself. I always believe that the easy way is the right way. Jeet Kune-Do is simply the direct expression of one's feelings with the minimum of movements and energy. The closer to the true way of Kung Fu, the less wastage of expression there is.

Now many will say this is how they perform their gung fu but many still do not. I am still learning and practising in this regard, as this is the highest of skill and understanding and must be applied or reworked through an entire style. And I also believe there are many levels of achievement in this regard..as is the only natural way.

It's all good.

nospam
    佛家

I don't know that it is the highest form of understanding, but it is a pretty good high level functional method. There are however, guys that know more in their chosen methods out there as well.
    -Golden Arms-

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    jeen kuen can be War, or Battle Fist, or Arrow Fist. Saam Jeen Kuen (Three Battles Fist), Hung-Ga Jeen Kuen (Arrow Fist) Sam Bo Gin (Jeen) Three Step Arrow. (In our line we call it Sam Bo Ging-Three Step Power, but that's another story)

Expressing gung fu as simple and natural movement is not its highest form? I disagree. Of course along with that expression comes other abilities such as the development of ging.

For me, gung fu is a study in movement. All styles break movement down and slowly, methodically bring it back together to its natural state. Any athlete/practitioner no matter the specialty breaks the whole down to its individual parts then practises, trains and develops these parts in their various stages, all the while adding back each part to the whole until the whole becomes a part of the practitioner. Why do you think people of this ability are called Masters. They have undertaken the journey and understand the movement of their specialty to their uniqueness. They have joined with the movement: they are the movement. Be like water.

To put it bluntly Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

It's all good.

nospam
    佛家

My thoughts about Bruce Lee, Jeet Kune Do & the Bak Hsing Kwoon.

Here is where I read the info on JKD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeet_Kune_Do

Lee almost always chose to put his power hand in the "lead," with his weaker hand back, within this stance he used elements of Boxing, Fencing and Wing Chun. Just like fencing, he labeled this position the "On Guard" position. Lee incorporated this position into his JKD as he felt it provided the best overall mobility. Lee felt that the dominant or strongest hand should be in the lead because it would perform a greater percentage of the work.

This is a Bak Hsing Kwoon method.

Lee felt the dynamic property of JKD was what enabled its practitioners to adapt to the constant changes and fluctuations of live combat. Lee believed that these decisions should be done within the context of "real combat" and/or "all out sparring". He believed that it was only in this environment that a person could actually deem a technique worthy of adoption.

This mirrors Bak Hsing Kwoon training.

Bruce Lee did not stress the memorization of solo training forms or "Kata", as most traditional styles do. Lee believed that real combat was alive and dynamic.

Again, Bak Hsing Kwoon.

When confronting an incoming attack, the attack is parried or deflected and a counter attack is delivered at the same time. Not as advanced as a stop hit but more effective than blocking and counter attacking in sequence. This is also practiced by some Chinese martial arts.

A tenet of Bak Hsing Kwoon.

JKD practitioners believe they should target their kicks to their opponent's shins, knees, thighs, and mid section. These targets are the closest to the foot, provide more stability and are more difficult to defend against.

Although we have Northern kicks, low is the real way to go and make up the primary Bak Hsing Kwoon kicking way.

Now I realise this is more universal but regardless quite representative of Bak Hsing:

Five Ways Of Attack

* Single Angular Attack (SAA) and its converse Single Direct Attack (SDA).
    * Hand Immobilization Attack (HIA) and its counterpart Foot Immobilization attack, which make use of trapping to limit the opponent's function with that appendage.
    * Progressive Indirect Attack (PIA). Attacking one part of the opponent's body followed by attacking another part as a means of creating an opening.
    * Attack By Combinations (ABC). This is using multiple rapid attacks, with volume of attack as a means of overcoming the opponent.
    * Attack By Drawing (ABD). This is creating an opening with positioning as a means of counter attacking.

A philosophical approach:

Jeet Kune Do is merely a name used, a mirror in which to see "ourselves". Either you understand or you don't, and that is that. There is no mystery about my style. My movements are simple, direct and non-classical. The extraordinary part of it lies in its simplicity. Every movement in Jeet Kune-Do is being so of itself. I always believe that the easy way is the right way. Jeet Kune-Do is simply the direct expression of one's feelings with the minimum of movements and energy. The closer to the true way of Kung Fu, the less wastage of expression there is.

Now many will say this is how they perform their gung fu but many still do not. I am still learning and practising in this regard, as this is the highest of skill and understanding and must be applied or reworked through an entire style. And I also believe there are many levels of achievement in this regard..as is the only natural way.

It's all good.

nospam
    I read that some hop ga schools only taught through fighting, the teacher shows you a move and expects you to go out and try it...everyone does this but hop ga you have to try it to make it work. every move is full force you can't spar hop ga you can only fight it. this sounds all dandy and that and I don't know hop ga persae but when I look at some of the techniques i have been shown i can see that theory applied. I was shown things like catch the kick and scoop the groin at the same time...many of the defensive hands I was shown are actually attacking hands as they swallow the opponnents strike as you step into him with full body technique...your video about always moving forward was very interesting to me....when I step back into horse only my rear leg plants backwards like I don't step back it's more like rear leg leans back while lead leg arrows in for side horse stance and you will catch his strike and then follow up with another stance and full body strike. Ross mentioned how in Lama style a lot of the seed fists are used like western boxing where you slip the punch and follow through, deflect with your forearm and same fist hits opponnent which you have to practise through fighting at full speed it's not something that can be mastered with two man sets...

Expressing gung fu as simple and natural movement is not its highest form? I disagree. Of course along with that expression comes other abilities such as the development of ging.

For me, gung fu is a study in movement. All styles break movement down and slowly, methodically bring it back together to its natural state. Any athlete/practitioner no matter the specialty breaks the whole down to its individual parts then practises, trains and develops these parts in their various stages, all the while adding back each part to the whole until the whole becomes a part of the practitioner. Why do you think people of this ability are called Masters. They have undertaken the journey and understand the movement of their specialty to their uniqueness. They have joined with the movement: they are the movement. Be like water.

To put it bluntly Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

It's all good.

nospam
    I didn't say it wasn't good, I said that it is not its highest expression. I train with several guys that have trained longer than Bruce Lee was alive. He was not the pinnacle of what is or was out there, he was however, open with his thoughts, which I am very thankful for.
    -Golden Arms-

Ah..you are talking about Bruce.

It's all good.

nospam
    佛家

I was speaking about him, as well as the concepts presented.
    -Golden Arms-