Thread: Kung Fu Core Training

Question Kung Fu Core Training

This idea has been on my mind for some time, and need some input. Most of the people I've encountered interested in learning kung fu usually want to find a style that suits them the best. Some people are trained in one style, and others may have learned multiple styles. I would like to develop a type of training program that not only gives the student(s) a taste of the major systems, but covers most of the combat ranges, and various aspects within kung fu itself. I'm hoping that six months to a year of training should give the student enough time to decide on a style to specialize in. It might go something like this....

Striking Concepts / Drills may come from:
    Wing Chun, Hun Gar, Norhtern Shaolin

Grappling Concepts / Drills may come from:
    Chin Na, Tai Chi, Shuai Jiao

Internal / External Training may come from
    Tai Chi, Bagua, Hard QiGong, Iron Palm, Dim Mak

What do you think?
    Last edited by kamikaze; 05-16-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typos

I can not help you much on the styles you want to teach. My core art is KFSS as well as some Southern Shaolin.

In KFSS whe learned very little forms, and then it wasn't until I was a greenbelt.
    We started out Hard sparing until then.

I think you're gonna have a hard time finding qualified teachers for everything in the same place and in close proximity who all want in on the subject.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I think you're gonna have a hard time finding qualified teachers for everything in the same place and in close proximity who all want in on the subject.
    This task isn't going to be easy, but the results could benefit a lot of people. Kung Fu means "learned skill", and what I'm seeking is a type of program to make a student a "Jack of most trades" before specializing in a specific art. I'm very aware that this task may take a considerable amount of time, and I'm willing to travel.

Thumbs up Anything Helps

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I can not help you much on the styles you want to teach. My core art is KFSS as well as some Southern Shaolin.

In KFSS whe learned very little forms, and then it wasn't until I was a greenbelt.
    We started out Hard sparing until then.
    This project is open San Shou practitioners as well. I'm not overlooking anything. There may not be a lot of forms, but I can still learn drills as well. All part of the research & development process.

We had a franchise here in the valley that employed that same concept into their schools. At first they received a lot of hype for doing something different but then over the course of the "six months to a year" of taste testing the other systems the students were finding that they had no depth.

Think of it this way as well, once the students reach that point where they start to specialize in a system you're going to either need to have separate group classes to cover all those different art forms or roll the students into private instruction. Remember private instruction eats up instructor/studio time and what if your available times don't correspond with the students times.

I'm not shooting you down (I'd never shoot down someone's vision), just giving you feed back. That before mentioned studio with the similar concept was United Martial Arts, and they don't have a good reputation here in Arizona and because of it they've closed down about four school in the past year and changed their name for the second time in the past decade (they were formally known as Chung Moo Do).

Peace and Love - Shaolin Kung Fu

Shaolin ... It's Cool

There's nothing wrong with your input Shaolin. It sounds like this school didn't really have any structure to their approach. My goal for this program is to train students the very basics used in the a majority of TCMA. If successful, then it may be used in different kung fu schools to give students a basic understanding of other styles before focusing on the one that the school offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    We had a franchise here in the valley that employed that same concept into their schools. At first they received a lot of hype for doing something different but then over the course of the "six months to a year" of taste testing the other systems the students were finding that they had no depth.

Think of it this way as well, once the students reach that point where they start to specialize in a system you're going to either need to have separate group classes to cover all those different art forms or roll the students into private instruction. Remember private instruction eats up instructor/studio time and what if your available times don't correspond with the students times.

I'm not shooting you down (I'd never shoot down someone's vision), just giving you feed back. That before mentioned studio with the similar concept was United Martial Arts, and they don't have a good reputation here in Arizona and because of it they've closed down about four school in the past year and changed their name for the second time in the past decade (they were formally known as Chung Moo Do).

Peace and Love - Shaolin Kung Fu
    Last edited by kamikaze; 05-18-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
    ...gives the student(s) a taste of the major systems...

Kamikaze, how would you deal with incompatible structures among the systems? For example, how would you come up with basic footwork for the beginning student when different styles can prescribe drastically different methods? Inconsistency might confuse the beginning student more than the exposure educates.

I recommend sticking with a specific training method for several months before starting to introduce a broader scope.

Be well.

jd
    Last edited by jdhowland; 05-19-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: punctuation
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

just teach bjj and muay thai and call it a day.

jk.

its a good idea but i don't know how practical it is. i think it would take you so long to reach the level of ability that you would need in each of those styles to teach them that you wouldn't have time to actually do this. or is your idea to open up a school and hire the teachers. have people that are already at that level come in and collaborate? that might be the most time effective (though not cost effective) way.

but like jd said, its difficult for people to learn to do things like stances or body alignment one way and then go to another style and learn it another. from personal experience i am still having trouble not doing my bow and arrow stance like a n. shaolin stance and i have been doing hung fut or almost 2 years.

but if you can pull it off than good on ya. i am not one to poo poo on someone's ambition.

It's already been done.

Chin Wu Athletic Association.

Or how's about:
    www.shouyuliang.com

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Chin Wu Athletic Association.
    good call.