Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bait and switch then used - disappointed in somebody

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Drake is right.
    I have found that only decapitation of the leader works well and it you follow it with the sodomizing of his corpse then EVERYONE gets the message.
    god im h0rny.
    where's my beer?

GDA: You accomplish something that few do, you disturb me.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

aww shucks. *kicks rock at feet*

thanks man.
    where's my beer?

At least that's better than kicking kids with Downs Syndrome.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    At least that's better than kicking kids with Downs Syndrome.
    How else are you gonna learn how to defend yourself in case you get jumped at a group home?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

You can always tell a good thread by the way it devolves into freakiness. Awesome.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Bring it on home brother, get us back on track.

BTW, The tags for this thread read....
    complaint department, gda is disturbing, self defense
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    well, I was staying near the door and he said "Well, what if you trip and fall on the railing?" I said "what if I get hit by a bus?"

He didn't get it.
    The good old "what if" game, the last resort of the guy who just realized that what he was taught isn't holding water for some reason and needs to draw attention away from that fact. I've seen this over and over again where people mistake the scenario or drill for what can happen in the real world and it's a real bad blind spot. Tell the intructor about SevenStar's elevator scenario and see if he has his guys training for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    Finally, at the end of it all, a well-meaning guy I like came over and started basically telling me all about the point of the combatives, and it was different, designed for the street where we assume the other person doesn't know anything (why this assumption, I don't know...) etc, ...
    It's a dumb assumption at best. Why not assume that there are a certain percentage of guys who know "something", or who are just real experienced when it comes to beating up guys and then learn to read what they may possibly know? The other thing is that most guys training for "the street" have little if any street experience.

DM

If any assumptions must be made the safe assumption is that your opponent knows how to fight. That way if it turns out that they do not you have a pleasant surprise and if they do you might not end up getting your ass handed to you.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Right, but to see why some of the assumptions are made you have to look at what is being sold by many RBSD and combatives instructors; solutions. Without the assumptions the solutions may not hold water and that's not good for the school, the instructor or the student's peace of mind.

DM

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    If any assumptions must be made the safe assumption is that your opponent knows how to fight. That way if it turns out that they do not you have a pleasant surprise and if they do you might not end up getting your ass handed to you.
    Correct, if we assume anything, it is that our potential attacker/opponent is stronger, bigger, faster than us AND knows how to fight.
    While me may never meet Mr.Worse-case-scenario, its best to prepare for him.
    Remember, Proper Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

A bit of reality

If your opponent meets those criteria the only training to do outside of running or using a already deployed large caliber handgun, is kissing your tush good bye.

You will never train for the worst case scenario because you really don't know what it is.

DM

Concentrated thermonuclear strike.
    Simon McNeil

That could be bad too.

What we sometimes forget is that our training is almost always restricted to certain parameters and the real world isn't. So the worst cases you'll encounter are the ones you didn't even know you had to train for.

DM