Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bait and switch then used - disappointed in somebody

It has been a busy weekend. Trained this morning, errands, then setting up for bay to breakers.

There's really nothing else to say about it. I was just disappointed that this guy chose to do this. Nothing more, nothing less.

And I didn't have wrist control on the opposite side...

LOL at that video!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    It has been a busy weekend. Trained this morning, errands, then setting up for bay to breakers.

There's really nothing else to say about it. I was just disappointed that this guy chose to do this. Nothing more, nothing less.

LOL at that video!
    Seriously though next time you are in class doing drills like this pull out your rubber gun( I would also recommend a rubber pellet gun for when they try to kick or grab the gun out of your hand) and proceed to show them that their technique is weak... and remember the video wrist control, because today my friend there is no crack for you!

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post

Who's in the habit of wearing gi's to baseball games?
    Only the great ones. In the old days, when traditions still were honored.......

Wookie,

It's funny you say that because it kinda reminds me of when people say "well, I don't wanna train in a gi...no gi is more 'realistic'."

I always say "Hmmmm....where I come from people wear clothes...."

Don't get me wrong, I know it's not quite the same, but acting like we all run around naked is just kind of silly.

Unless you're protecting yourself in a nudist camp. But really, who wants to do that. Nobody hot ever becomes a nudist. It's always saggy, fat, ugly people.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Am I the only one who thinks this whole thing is just plain funny? Sorry, MP, but I woulda loved to have been there just to see the expression on your face.

Who cares if those schlumps know what you can do? You know what you can do. If anything, you've encountered a slight ego problem in yourself. Think of it as an opportunity to better yourself in that aspect.

Oh yeah,

*points and laughs*
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Much better story if you had broken his arm while he was 'stabbing' you with a rubber knife...

Well, there's always next time.

Another issue: why do martial artists assume that the proper defense for the takedown is to slaughter the takedowner with a knife by cutting him up? What if it's a barfight? Are you going to slash up some drunk dude, go to jail, etcetera? I mean really.........or what if it's your best friend, and he's just mad, and maybe he threatened to break your arm because you're having a fallout. Surely the proper defense is not to slash him up with a knife..........

Enough is enough with the too deadly to defend myself bullcrap......

This looks like an opportunity to learn something new to me. I guess I'm the only one who sees it this way, but can this experience be used in any way to improve your skills? Is there something you could do to prevent that from happening in the future if you were in a similar position, but the guy had a real knife?
    Bodhi Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    This looks like an opportunity to learn something new to me. I guess I'm the only one who sees it this way, but can this experience be used in any way to improve your skills? Is there something you could do to prevent that from happening in the future if you were in a similar position, but the guy had a real knife?
    Well yes: he could have not paused in knee-on-belly and waited for the instructor's cues and then cranked the armbar on at full speed.

The instructor used his position of respect to get him to slow down, to wait for him, then into a position where he has a good guess of what's coming plus he knows that Merry is going to have more respect and common sense than to break his arm: in short he's abusing his position of respect.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    precisely ; in fact, I was pretty much thinking as I was reading the story, "ok, this is gonna end w/that moron's elbow getting dislocated";

the funny thing is, the fact that you showed restraint when he started stabbing you is more a sign that you would probably do well in a "real" self-defense situation, because you kept your cool and were able to "respond" appropriately

promises promises promises
    The problem is, the guy probably doesn't realise he's wrong. Breaking his arm would just give him an excuse to claim some **** about not letting him get in that position in the first place if 'it was for real' or 'on the streets'. I don't really blame this guy: he's just another geezer who thinks he's right. If Merry could have kept superior position, wrapping up his knife arm too or something it would have illustrated things better. Or, managed to extricate himself when he saw the knife and pick up the nearest chair to threaten him with...!!!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

It was an upright, "ready to punch/kick/run" type of knee on belly - one geared towards my own mobility, rather than immobilizing my opponent.

"Finish," he says

"Ok, like, um, how do you want me to do this," I'm thinking because this isn't MY game, it's not MY class, and I'm here, even if disinterested at this point, politely and not to disrupt anything. He must have seen that moment of thought run over my face.

"Finish like you would, you know?"
    It sounds like Merryprankster was planning on being mobile and ready to move away depending on what came next... which is basically what the instructor seemed to think the correct response would be. It's a combatives class, not a sporting session, something Merryprankster clearly understood. He asks, "How do you want me to do this?" and the teacher indicates that he should use a grappling move. This gives the teacher the opening to demonstrate the point that both he and Merryprankster apparently agreed would be a less advantageous move on the street.

To me, the message was:

Because you never know what's coming, on the street, you don't necessarily want to go for the less mobile position.

The message did not seem to be:

Merryprankster is a fool because he grapples.

When the teacher said, "Finish like you would..." Merryprankster just as easily could have stepped back, simulated a kick to the back of the teacher's head, and run away. Something like that seemed to be the plan.

Why be upset that the teacher was on the same page, and wanted to demonstrate that to the class, with someone who actually knows how to grapple?
    Bodhi Richards

Oh, OK, Jack, good explanation: I see where you're coming from now.

Although, I've never really had Merry down as the over-sensitive type, so I would guess that the guy's attitude and that of his class were what really p!ssed on any chance of this being anything of a genuine learning experience.

LOL at that video!
    Of course. Just some light jabs. Comments like that are only meant for phishers anyways.

Just some healthy ranting. Seem's as if it's the only way he was able to stab you.

Setting up for breakers? How did it go? I had an opp to do it a couple of years ago but was not ready. Those hills...that bridge...GG Park...yikes.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

I think you might have over reacted to this a little. First off, you got envited to join a class and you start doing your own thing. Rude? I think so. And so then the instructor was actually trying to make a point that you seem not to have taken. Wrestling is a sport. It is usually done by rules. If you are ever faced with more than one adversary you will end up getting kicked to death if you go down grappling. Even is you are left standing you cannot work an arm bar if someone is punching your kidneys out. Punch, kick, and move. Never try to apply wrestling techniques if you are faced with more than one person. It will get you killed. When several people are attacking you at one time, they will usually attempt to take you down and put you at a serious disadvantage. While down they will all take their shots at you and if you think you can defend against that, then maybe natural sellection is in order. Even if you are doing 1 on 1 the chances of others getting involved are great once you are down.
    If you find yourself in a class where you think the instructor doesn't know his stuff, just find an excuse to leave without making a scene. But any time you are envited to join a class never start doing your own thing. Especially if it is not what the class is all about. I suspect that you will not be envited back.

see, everyone does carry a knife with him! your sifu is wise beyond his years!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.