Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new language

new language

I have had this problem with many postings. The fact that most are in chinese. I find it strange that if you translate the moves of ving tsun it usuakky means , palm up hand, hook hand etc, now it is more universal it would be easier to just describe the move as to what it does. I think people woule find it more simple and easier to understand.I know in my school we have certain moves that we call different thing to different lineages. IE stepping. In our school we class that as the drill in poon sao (rooling hands) where you step 45 degrees into the opponent. Some class that as the step forward which we would class as a shuffle forward. It would be great if people could come up with a universal way of describing the moves.Funny story. My teacher was talking to gwok Fu (I should probaly class as sifu or Si ging but I am bad at that sort of stuff). One of my fellow student rang him and asked if Sifu Gwok Fu could tell him the names of the moves in Chum Kiu. My teacher was talking to him and said " who cares". Gwok Fu heard him talking on the phone and picked up the " Chum Kiu". When asked BIll said what his student had asked. When he heard it Gwok Fu said" it doesn't matter what the mane is as long as you can do it. Bill laughed and said that was what he thought, and he explain that his student (me) used to call the move in chum kiu ( After the upsetting pu8nch, or punch after the bongsao to defend the grab and punch, its in the first section after the pivot and bong sao) as the turning Wu lap. When Gwok Fu asked he explained that after the upsetting punch this move was a combination of a Wu sao while pivoting which chatches the hand and a movement that feels like a lap sao( which a would now call more like a Jut sao but at the time I was only training for 3-4 yrss) as the movemnet involves catching the punch with a Wu sao but then pivoting ti regain the centre and a down and inward movement that will " Jerk" the opponent.
    The thing is if the chinese translation is just a describtion of the move why not just call it the lp Sao, pulling hand: Jut sao, jerk hand, kwan sao, palm up han and a wing arm etc.
    Even if you dont agree a simple describtion of the move wouold help every one when it comes to understanding what you say.

really sorry about the spelling but I am typining the dark as I post when my kids are asleep. But I hope you get the point.

Say that again

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    Even if you dont agree a simple describtion of the move wouold help every one when it comes to understanding what you say.
    Bennyvt,
    Names help us in that they provide us with a common term to use to identify something. However, the name is merely a label. The word has a limited ability to fully describe what is happening in a dynamic situation. I also think the meaning of the phrase changes over time as the student develops a deeper understanding of what is happening. Of course it's important to have common terminology so that we discuss things, but to expect 'universal terminology' is not realistic, IMO, because the understanding of the same terms varies. For example, we all use the term chi sao. To some people it is a drill to develop sensivity and timing etc, and to others it is a fanasty-based waste of time. Same word, completely different meaning. Even when you have a few people who agreed that it's the former, as opposed to the later, the diffence in what they do within the context of chi sao is different - check it out on youtube.

All this to say that the name is not the important thing. Although I like the chinese terms, it's mainly because that's what I'm used to. To say a tan sau is a palm-up hand sounds too limiting, but it's just a name in either case.

Bill
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Talking The world is a better place!

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Bennyvt,
    Names help us in that they provide us with a common term to use to identify something. However, the name is merely a label. The word has a limited ability to fully describe what is happening in a dynamic situation. I also think the meaning of the phrase changes over time as the student develops a deeper understanding of what is happening. Of course it's important to have common terminology so that we discuss things, but to expect 'universal terminology' is not realistic, IMO, because the understanding of the same terms varies. For example, we all use the term chi sao. To some people it is a drill to develop sensivity and timing etc, and to others it is a fanasty-based waste of time. Same word, completely different meaning. Even when you have a few people who agreed that it's the former, as opposed to the later, the diffence in what they do within the context of chi sao is different - check it out on youtube.

All this to say that the name is not the important thing. Although I like the chinese terms, it's mainly because that's what I'm used to. To say a tan sau is a palm-up hand sounds too limiting, but it's just a name in either case.

Bill

Oh MAN! I love it, when people think before they write, it really makes good reading…

Take care

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 05-19-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Oh MAN! I love it, when people think before they write, it really makes good reading…
    Ali,
    Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Bill

VT mentality, economic......

Although to some it may seem over the top dont you think the fewer words the better when describing actions, so as not to get to bogged down in terminology.

Palm up wing arm = 4 words.
    Kwan sao or just plain Kwan = is quicker and easier IMO.

The other thing is, VT is a Chinesse art take it or leave it. if you have an issue with terms go box.

Here's a quick list -

Jum Sao
    Biu Sao
    Lan Sao & karp Jarn
    Fut Sao
    Tok Sao
    Palm strikes (jeung Da ?)
    Lan Sao
    Corner punch
    Fut Sao
    Jum Sao
    Tut Sao
    Huen Sao sao Kuen.

Just the actions from my first section CK.

Now write your own list in english and see how convoluted it gets describing all the actions in terms of what they do

IMO it would be more confusing......but thats just me

to expect 'universal terminology' is not realistic, IMO, because the understanding of the same terms varies
    Matrix is spot on IMO. You only have to hang here on the forum to see that.

Many people refer to Chi Sao (sticking hands) when they mean Chi Dan Sao (single sticking hands) even people such as Ali write Chi DON Sao which very few others use. But we still know what hes on about when he writes it......

I think the termonology is as close as its going to get at this point in time, the main thing IMO is that we all have experience using it in a fighting context so that experience can be our common denominator to back up the terms in discussions like we have here.

DREW
    Last edited by Liddel; 05-19-2008 at 05:04 PM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    To say a tan sau is a palm-up hand sounds too limiting, but it's just a name in either case.

Bill
    I agree. I like David Peterson's explanation that the names of techniques are verbs. So I personally like 'Dispersing Hand' for Tan Sau.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    Many people refer to Chi Sao (sticking hands) when they mean Chi Dan Sao (single sticking hands) even people such as Ali write Chi DON Sao which very few others use. But we still know what hes on about when he writes it......
    Hey DREW,
    I think we can chalk that up to romanization. The fact that we 'understand' the meaning in either case, shows that the terms are doing what they are meant to do. So the need for a new language is not necessary. It's also worth noting that even within the chinese language there are different dialects which may affect the sound of the terms, as well as potentially adding some regional terminoligies to the mix.

I also agree with your point that less is more, and the Kwan example is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Couch
    I like David Peterson's explanation that the names of techniques are verbs. So I personally like 'Dispersing Hand' for Tan Sau.
    Well David Peterson has a level of understanding that far exceeds mine. I think his explanations are well worth considering.

Bill
    Last edited by Matrix; 05-19-2008 at 08:43 PM.

The other thing is, VT is a Chinesse art take it or leave it. if you have an issue with terms go box.

So you would say that learning Chinese is a requirement for learning VT?

I think the termonology is as close as its going to get at this point in time, the main thing IMO is that we all have experience using it in a fighting context so that experience can be our common denominator to back up the terms in discussions like we have here.
    I guess I'd be excluded here then Drew! Having never 'used' my Chun to do damage to anyone!

As you and others know already, this is my kinda subject as I learnt in this way (language FIRST!) It's interesting that Benny is looking for that 'list of terms' that can link and unify us all. The thing is, it's just never going to happen! With our minds being furnished with forever more lavish language I feel we will lose that 'Cantonese' mix we got used to back in the day. The mainland is moving and we're surrounded by Mandarin terms in Wing Chun (Yong Chun!)

To me, it doesn't really matter as I can read most of my curriculums and I know the characters have no differences unlike the spoken words. I would love to see unity in WCK, but sometimes I think that unity still needs great leaders and we lack great leaders!!
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 05-20-2008 at 02:15 PM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

If I have to learn Latin, Greek, and English for over 2000 Chinese herbs and learn how to pronounce them in Mandarin and Cantonese for the suppliers, then the least people could do for WCK is learn romanized Cantonese terms...

But seriously, all fields of study have their terminology... why should WCK be any different?

Terminology according to WSL

the terminology of the system according to wsl /pb/me ;

'lin sil di da ' is a concept overriding everything we are trying to achieve in vt training, it means attack/deflect in the same action
    done properly we have 4 actions working at the same time striking and deflecting with alternating attacking arms using tan sao
    and jumsao positions trained from the beginning in little/young idea ....... Siu nim tao

Siu Nim Tau - (First Form) "Young Idea" the centerline and our elbows relative to it. facing squarely, so both arms can reach the target from a flank

Cham Kiu - (Second Form) "Seeking/Finding The Bridge" *Fighting on the easiest way and straight to the target , flanking maneuvers

Biu Ji - (Third Form) "Pointing Fingers" * Looking for the easiest way to survive* lead with the hands not the head , our own elbow is trapped and how to recover it , escapes...

Muk Yan Jong - "Wooden Dummy" Form , Elbow training , Lin sil di da , Timing positions ,

Luk Dim Boon Gwan - "6.5 Point Pole" Form ,* 6 strikes [1 leaves a 1/2 mark] ballistic actions in pole & tactics applied to hand fighting

Baat Jaam Do - "bat=Eight / jaam= Slashing/ do= Knives" Form *Easiest way to fight against any other weapon (except firearms)* bat has nothing to do with the knives it is thought to be 8 meaning 'lucky' 8 has a significant meaning in chinese , very good.

Yi Ji Kim Yeung Ma - "Character Two Goat Gripping (Basic) Stance" *Force, Support , Conditioning of Foot pos. balance*

Dui Gok Ma - "Side-facing Stance" *for cleaning the center - 50% less work* our pre fighting posture to 'sweep the zone' as we attack using [lin sil di dar]

Juen Ma - "Pivoting/Turning Footwork" *for using Hip elbow simultaneously* as chum kil to develop our balance/force/axis point as we hit

Seung Ma - "Forward Attacking Footwork" *special work to create structure* 1/2 step to stalk the prey

Tui Ma - " (Side-stepping) Footwork in chisao" *special work to create structure and attacking/counterattacking positions

Yat Ji Kuen - "Sun-character (Basic Vertical) Fist/Punch" * a punch *

Tan Sau - "elbow in from outside" training improvement for the elbow prior to punching with the same arm [lin sil di da concept=simultaneous attack and deflect] , when the elbow leaves the centerline we punch

Jum Sau - "elbow in from inside ", using the inner forearm [with pectoralis major ] [lin sil di da concept=simultaneous attack and deflect]

['combine tan&jum attacking the sides/flank of our opponent and we have two arms capable of fighting 1 arm on the flank using [lin sil di da]'

use wu sao as a rear guard with either, prior to attack....]

Fook Sau - "training improvement for the elbow*chi sao , maintaining center with elbow neutral

Bong Sau - "Upper-arm" *part of an attack - improvement for the elbow rotation speed, clearing a path if an arm comes over the arm

Wu Sau - "Guarding-hand" part of an attack - improvement for the "next hit" hand pos.striking a clearing using lin sil di dar action

Huen Sau - "Circling-hand" *part of an attack - improvement for the wrist rotation speed* combined with lowering forearm [cutting down] or manipulation

Paak Sau - "Slapping-hand" part of an attack - improvement for small hand moves* .

Jing Jeung - "Standing (vertical) Palm-strike" improvement for the elbow (relaxed hand)* for striking inside an arm and attacking

Waang Jeung - "Lying (horizontal) Palm-strike"* ** improvement for the elbow (relaxed hand)*

Soh Sau - "Pressing Palm" part of an attack - aka GUMSAO improvement for the "next hit" hand pos.*

Fak Sau - "Whisking/Whipping Hand" Attack * improvement for the elbow*

Lan Sau - "Barrier-arm" *improvement for the elbow*

Jut Sau - "Jerking/Dragging/Obstructing-hand" *part of an attack - improvement for the "next hit" hand pos.*

Biu Sau - "Thrusting/Spearing-hand" Attack * ** improvement for the elbow (relaxed hand)*

the arm straight down & up in slt....
    Naat Sau - "Pressing-down/Extinguishing" - improvement for the elbow* on centerline
    Daan Sau - "Rebounding-hand" - .improvement for the elbow*

Gaan Sau - "Splitting/Dividing-hand" Deflection* part of an attack for low use

Che Jeung - "Slanting/Descending Palm-strike" *improvement for the (low) elbow*

Dai Jeung - "Underneath/Lifting-palm"

Senk Sau - "Scraping/Shaving-hand" the sliding hands action in slt to strike and recover the wusao simultaneously

Dang Geuk - "Ascending (Basic Heel) Kick" *a Kick from a to b

Chi Sau - "Sticky-hands" Exercise *the all over structure building process*

Chi Geuk - "Sticky-legs" Exercise * funny misunderstanding NO STICKY LEG

Luk Sau/Poon Sau - "Rolling-hands" *the all over structure building process*

Daan (Chi) Sau - "Single-hand" *improvement for the elbow* becomes redundant use of 2 actions jum & punch as they become 1 action in fighting
    using lin sil di dar

Seung (Chi) Sau - "Double-hand" *improvement for the elbow*

Gwoh Sau - "Free-attack" *the all over structure using process*

Laap Sau - "Warding-off/Deflecting-hands" Exercise *improvement for the elbow*

Lat Sau Jik Chung - "Constant Forward Springy-energy" Concept * no spring energy - just power from the whole body training*

Chiu Ying - "Square-on/Facing" Concept * SLT

Jui Ying - "Chasing" Concept

it all boils down to attacking as the defense, everything is built on the next to help that idea.....in chi sao we are partners for a common goal , not combatants.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 05-20-2008 at 12:01 PM.

I think we're pretty well stuck with the terminology.

It would be a mistake to assume that facility with terminology is anywhere near as important as being able to do it against a resisting opponent.

Matt Thornton has written at length on the potential role of exeotic terminology in the encouragement of insularity and cultish behaviour and attitudes.

That said, the situation's not a lot better in many other fields. BJJ has strange sounding names for many techniques, with its Brazilian Portuguese origins playing a minor role. Arguably this is a necessity - the description of some moves in purely physical terms would take several paragraphs. Examples:

Crucifix, stocks, spider guard, quarter guard, X guard, Z guard, De la riva Guard, Roleta sweep, heart attack choke, Brabo and D'arce chokes, twister, banana split, knee exploder, crotch ripper, ....

And there is confusion:

Terms such as Butterfly Guard and Helicopter Sweep means different things to different BJJ groups. You have different terms for the same moves used by different people:

Basic Sweep / Scissor Sweep
    Reverse Basic Sweep / Wing Sweep
    Leg Grab Rollover sweep / Flower Sweep
    Spinning choke / Baseball bat choke

etc.

Some like Eddie Bravo come up with really weird names with obfuscation as an intentional goal, so that they can use then while coaching in competition without the opposition knowing WTF they are on about, e.g.

Old School, Plan B, The Exhumer, Crackhead control, Retard Control, New York, Night of the Living Dead, Dogfight, Jiu Claw, Kung Fu Move, etc.

WC is hardly unique. Even outside MA, like in IT, there are all sorts of jargon and terminological differences, even wars.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

What the meaning of Sau is actually short for Kiu Sau (bridge arm). It doesn't mean the hand - it means the bridge in contact with another bridge.