Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new language

How smart are you the learner ?

This discussion is more philosophical than anything IMO, cause it can apply to many things....

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Would it affect their ability to box?
    - it depends on the person. Some people thrive with lots of information to back up what they are doing, others drown its case by case.

Not having a common language is one thing with regard to learning, the thread is about Nouns, the names of actions and romanising them.... is it not ?

This is another thing altogether IMO. Especially with a language that has many meanings for one character or name.

Benny followed by expanding on his OP -

I remember in judo I had to learn the names to get the belts, I have always had a problem with this, why learn a new lanuage when you only need the movement and an explanation of what is does etc.
    Your not learning a new language your learning the NAMES which are NOUNS and even between different languages names for the most part remain the same.

As one example - English is filled with french NOUNS and PHRASES for things that we dont change... think about it.... people that dont even know french use these terms.

My opinion is only based on the fact the terms have already been established.

Look at it another way, are you the type of person that goes on holiday to foreign speaking country expecting locals to speak english or do you study up on the language and/or take a translation book with you ?

DREW
    Last edited by Liddel; 05-26-2008 at 05:56 PM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    - English is filled with french NOUNS and PHRASES for things that we dont change... think about it.... people that dont even know french use these terms.
    Do you mean words like "cliché"?

Don't you think would be apropos.

Bill
    Last edited by Matrix; 05-26-2008 at 07:54 PM.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

I could think of tonnes of examples. I work in TV News, we're all sticklers for getting Nouns right on air. Although outside of work is another story....LOL

For the most part its really annoying !

Watch your local News channels there seems to be many out there still calling Myanmar Burma and even those that call it Myanmar say it several different ways.

Persians pronounce "I" as "E" so one should say E RAQ although bush and his buddies always say EYE RAQ. LOL.

Nouns are nouns and theres only one way to skin that cat IMO
    Take it or leave it.

Theres enough issue out there at the moment without throwing VT vernacular in the mix

DREW
    Last edited by Liddel; 05-26-2008 at 08:28 PM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    Look at it another way, are you the type of person that goes on holiday to foreign speaking country expecting locals to speak english or do you study up on the language and/or take a translation book with you ?
    Its funny Drew that you hit the nail on the head again here!

Wing Chun is an art from China, although most of us westerners received the Hong Kong branded version before we even knew about other connections. We generally use Cantonese terms for everything, even if our own pronounciation will vary, so 'theoretically' having a universal lingo should be possible.

But I stand by my point. It's not. And the hard thing for me is if we can not even agree on terms/nouns/names for things how are we going to link our principles and theories? (which would obviously be in Chinese too!)

If we can't agree how to spell/translate a tan sau or differentiate from a jarng how can we dream of understanding what we represent as Wing Chun students today if we don't want to learn a little culture??

I know a great Cantonese teacher in London, and he has always got WCK students and Sifus learning from him, especially if they're heading to HK to meet the Ip Family! A little conversation goes a long way, so I'm told...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術