Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ringstar Sparring Shoes

Ringstar Sparring Shoes

Ok, I just received my sparring shoes from Ringstar. They are the Super Maxx sparring shoes. When I tried them on, they fit perfectly however, I look like I am wearing clown shoes! lol When I look at myself in the mirror, they just look big on me! I guess it is all of the extra padding that they have on the inside that makes them look bulky on me. lol

Anyone else have the same feeling as I do??

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    sorry, no offense but they look ghey as hell in the pics.

why wear them at all?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

why wear them at all?
    Well with the shin/instep guards I have, they dont cover the toes. As of late, I have been injuring my toes.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    wear them with gi pants. It won't shpow as much. Don't wear shorts, and for God's sake, don't wear one of those
    "Game of Death/Last Dragon/Kill Bill" track suits.

-unless you have a bodacious bod.
    Did Uma Thurman have big feet? Nobody noticed.

um, busted toes come with the territory same as busted fingers. you do have muscular control over your toes, get them in position so as not to be hurt and send the ghey shoes back and buy a roll of electrical tape.

Uma does have kinda big feet and slightly gnarly toes...which I would gladly...well, I'll just let you run with that one on your own.

What else can you say about a woman considerate enough to have a name so easy to pronounce while you're making your 'O' face?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    well, besides risking a roasting by Joan Rivers when you step onto the red carpet, how do they feel?
    How do they work as compared to other sparring gear?
    How is the grip on the sole,
    how is the padding,
    the weight,
    are they durable for everyday workouts, or should they be left in the gym bag just for sparring?
    Do you reccommend them?

um, busted toes come with the territory same as busted fingers. you do have muscular control over your toes, get them in position so as not to be hurt and send the ghey shoes back and buy a roll of electrical tape.
    Yes, I am aware that they come with the territory. I do have them in position but when the other person tries to block, I somehow hit their elbows. I guess their elbow looked at me funny so I thought I would teach it a lesson, bad idea! lol

At least from what I've seen in gyms on the east coast, it was not uncommon for folks to work around toe injuries with american kickboxing booties. Out here in Texas I haven't seen it yet, but at my gym out here they'll spar with 10ounce aerobics or bag gloves (not much accounting for safety).

I've wondered about those shoes - for kicks that hit with the bottom surface- do they cause the same surface damage (cuts, etc) that even wrestling shoes cause? How about the toe? does that end up being even as stiff as a wrestling shoe? I would think those shoes would lead to more cuts & welts than their foam-dipped counterparts.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

how do they feel?
    How do they work as compared to other sparring gear?
    How is the grip on the sole,
    how is the padding,
    the weight,
    are they durable for everyday workouts, or should they be left in the gym bag just for sparring?
    Do you reccommend them?
    Well, I will spar in them tonight for the first time so, I will have to get back with you.

The other day, I was doing some forms and they felt pretty good. They did slide some but not too much. They do feel light but just look like clown shoe on me because I am a thin person and they just stick out. Padding seems adequate but wont know until I try them out tonight.

They are all the rage on the east coast...

...or so I'm told. I do see some people wearing them for training, even for street shoes , which I agree, does look a little odd. You wouldn't wear Legend Kicks as street shoes, but who am I to judge martial fashion? Now that would look like wearing clown shoes. Appropriate attire is reliant on the setting.

Ringstar shoes are available at MartialArtsMart.com.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I also have their Flexx Trainer and those felt good doing forms and all but wearing them out on the street, HURT!! Walking on concrete with those was like going bare foot on the pavement.

sorry, they still look ****ed silly. but, I hope you like them

like going bare foot on the pavement.
    worse since you were depending on the shoes for support they didn't give. when you walk, or fight, barefoot, you learn to control the foot better, imho.

Sparred in these clown looking shoes last night. lol

They felt pretty good. Hit some elbows last night and no problems. They did feel much lighter than my other shin/instep guards. Gripping on the mats was ok, still had some slippage but other than that it was fine.

I'm sure they are a bit more comfortable to wear than your standard foot gear. Those shoes were specifically made for sparring and I think the Flexx could be used as a shoes for the dojo/floor.

I have a pair that I haven't used yet. I keep forgetting to ask if I can use them for sparring but that is why they are so padded dude. They may look like clown shoes but they will protect your foot and provide some padding for the face that comes in contact with said shoes. I like the Velcro secure and the laces (Flexx only has velcro it seems) but they are comfortable, which is important to your training. I would not use them as sneakers though. I don't think they are durable enough to be walking around in all day. Plus, I don't think that is what they were intended for. Get some sneakers or flip flops if you feel like walking around.

Masherdog...you must have quite a bit of extra money to throw around if you have two out of three pairs of the Ringstars. Buying that one pair set me back quite a bit and I am probably going to wait.

But the sale at Martial Arts Mart is still going strong so I think that I may reconsider. Gene will be happy about that.

Ten Tigers brings up a lot of good points about the shoes.

I would just use them for sparring and get a couple of pairs of martial art shoes for working out and forms. Or you could just rotate them and that should make them last. You seem like you could afford a bunch of new shoes so, you probably have back up pairs on the way.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

No

Quote Originally Posted by masherdong View Post
    I also have their Flexx Trainer and those felt good doing forms and all but wearing them out on the street, HURT!! Walking on concrete with those was like going bare foot on the pavement.
    I would not recommend going on the pavement. They were conceived of for sparring I believe and to be used indoors (as are most martial art shoes). Plus, when you use 'em outside and wear them on the mats, wood floor or whatever surface you train on, you will track in rocks and whatever crap you stepped on outside.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura