Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best old school martial arts movie?

NorthernMantis Guest

Best old school martial arts movie?

I heard from a friend that Dirty Ho is supposedly the king of old school movies.Is this right?It's supposed to have Gordon Liu with an all star cast.

If not does anyone know any better ones?

"Always be ready"

Ky-Fi Guest
    Dirty Ho is out now on widescreen DVD, and it's a great movie----the final 3 on 2 fight is amazing. But also on the shelves now is the widescreen Fist of the White Lotus(also starring Gordon Liu)--and I would put this one near or at the top of my list of old school kung fu for the quantity and quality of fight scenes (although it's a bit ridiculous at times :)).

Jimbo Guest
    Shaolin Challenges Ninja (Heroes of the East) starring Gordon Liu is another top old school MA film.

Of course, Master Killer.

Shaolin Martial Arts, starring Fu Sheng.

My Young Auntie, starring Lau Kar-Leung.

Men From the Monastery, starring Fu Sheng, Chi Kuan-Chun.

Exacutioner From Shaolin, starring Chen Kuan-Tai.

All these movies show complex, traditional and/or short-hand moves no longer seen in the new movies.
    Jim

NorthernMantis Guest
    Thanks

"Always be ready"

Jimbo Guest
    Oops, forgot to mention another very good one...also starring Gordon Liu, called Martial Club (U.S. title: Instructor of Death). Especially the final fight in the alley between Gordon, playing Wong Fei-Hong, and Wong Lung-Wei, playing a northern fighter. The north vs. south movie choreography is very well-done.
    Jim

RAYNYSC Guest

Heres a few more....

Here are a few of the picks that I would add to this list....

7 GrandMasters

Death Chambers

Ten Tigers of Kwangtung

Tiger over the wall

Legend of a fighter

Lengendary Weapons of Kung Fu

Two on the road

RAYNYSC

greyseal Guest
    Recently saw the Ten Tigers of Kwantung. It's my new favorite of the moment. Gotta love the end. What a headache.

Crimson Phoenix Guest
    huhh? no one mentionned "martial arts of Shaolin" from Liu Cha Liang (Lau Kar Leung) with Jet Li?
    ****** go see it now!!!
    And don't forget stuffs from Yuen Woo Ping (before his name was used to promote any movie with digital gong fu in it) like "Dreadnought" or "Magnificient Butcher".
    A couple among many treasures...

EmptyCup Guest
    how come no one mentioned the Wing Chun practioner's bible, "The Prodigal Son" starring Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung??? Made in 1981 but one of the best martial arts movies ever made because it actually showcased Wing Chun techniques and concepts...

Black_Talon Guest
    The Prodigal Son is awesome!!!!

That's my pick, (so far :) it may change later as I see more movies)

------------------
    Some may boast of prowess bold,
    Of the school they think so grand,
    But there's a Spirit, can ne'er be told,
    It's the Spirit of Aggieland

------------------
    ------------------
    UT Unlimited, your premier mapping site!
    Ace82@unrealism.com
    UT Unlimited

Chang Style Novice Guest
    Good Lucking Ford, there's a lot of great ones, and I agree with every selection on the list (that I've seen.) A few I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Mad Monkey Kungfu, Knockabout, The Victim, Dance of the Drunk Mantis, Death Duel of Mantis, Five Fingers of Death, The Chinatown Kid, Five Deadly Venoms, Operation Scorpion, Ninja's Deadly Trap, Duel to the Death

and a special mention for "Drunken Tai Chi" for being Donnie Yen's first movie and for containing prehaps the most ridiculous scene ever, summarized below

Donnie Yen is fleeing from Corey Yuen, and stops to rest on a bridge (oh, yeah, that's safe.) He hears a strange noise and looks up to see...Corey Yuen charging him on a 10 foot tall free-rolling hamster wheel, crushing everything in his path!

Now that's a practical weapon - small, easy to hide and carry, and deadly in virtually any situation.

Rory Guest

kwan tak hing

his movies are awsome he like a legend in china the 2 movies that are out here are magnificent butch with sammo hung and dreadnaught with yuen bao

nightair Guest
    "Crippled Masters"no joke it is a very interesting movie...

eviljungle Guest

Let's see...

Jade Claw is a fantastic early Yuen Brothers movie. The early Chan movies are always cool too.

Wan Ma Kai Guest
    My favorites are any movies with the Liu brothers that show training scenes. These movies seem to have traditional kung fu featured.Here is my list:
    1)The Master Killer (36 Chambers)
    2)Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu
    3)Fist of the White Lotus
    4)The Martial Club (I like the girl in that one)
    5)My Young Auntie (same girl from Martial Club and Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu)
    6)Dirty Ho
    Oh yeah, the girl I mentioned before is named Kara Hui Ying Hung. She did a photo shot for Playboy (Hong Kong I think) in the late 80's or early 90's. Does anybody have any current info about her?