Thread: 25 most brutal UFC knockouts

25 most brutal UFC knockouts

http://space.canoe.ca/theneilman/blog/view/220071

25 most brutal UFC knockouts
    May 22, 11:00 AM
    Ah, the knockout, the exclamation point of mixed martial arts. Though it can come in many different varieties – KO, TKO, KTFO – it’s always entertaining.

Therefore I bring you the 25 most brutal KOs in UFC history. I would have liked to include Pride FC, WEC, IFL and other organizations, but that would have made this even harder than it already was. Even after limiting it solely to the UFC I feel like Meryl Streep in “Sophie’s Choice.”

Besides, it’s downright silly to even attempt to rank these in any kind of order as it is. Luck for you, silly is my middle name.

Click the link to see the KO, but I have no idea how long these videos will stay up on their respective sites.

Feel free to share your thoughts, comments and insults (keep the language clean, though). Not a member, sign up here. It’s easy and takes less than two minutes.

25. Bas Rutten pummels Tsuyoshi Kohsaka [UFC 18: Road to the Heavyweight Title]

After taking a huge amount of punishment for more than 10 minutes, El Guapo unloads with everything he has. This is also one of the greatest comebacks in MMA history.

24. Rashad Evans lands a devastating head kick on Sean Salmon [UFC: Fight Night 8]

The title says it all.

23. Chuck Liddell introduces Renato Sobral to his shin [UFC 40: Vendetta]

Shin, Renato. Renato, shin.

22. Matthew Riddle gives Dan Smiller something to moan about [TUF: Team Rampage vs. Team Forrest]

The knockout alone was devastating, but Smiller’s post-fight moaning is nothing short of unsettling.

21. Rich Franklin ruins Nate Quarry [UFC 56: Full Force]

A nasty one-punch knockout.

20. Houston Alexander upsets Keith Jardine [UFC 71: Liddell vs. Jackson]

Following a barrage of knees and punches, Jardine was out cold.

19. Matt Hughes drops Carlos Newton. Oops, butterfingers. [UFC 34: High Voltage]

While trapped in a triangle choke, Hughes picks Newtown up and rests him against the cage. Eventually he passes out from the choke, powerbombing Newton in the process.

Hughes’ delayed reaction is priceless.

18. BJ Penn makes quick work of Caol Uno [UFC 34: High Voltage]

A lot can happen in 10 seconds.

17. Brad Kohler hits one of the cleanest punches ever against Steve Judson [UFC 22: There Can Be Only One Champion]

Not only is the punch brutal, but Kohler’s bouncing wind up is awesome.

16. Chuck Liddell unloads on Tito Ortiz [UFC 47: It's On]

This knockout helped shoot The Iceman into superstardom.

15. Pedro Rizzo vs. Josh Barnett [UFC 30: Battle on the Boardwalk]

To this day, Rizzo is the only fighter to score a KO victory over Barnett (he's been TKO'ed a couple times, but not KO'ed).

14. It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s James Irvin blasting Terry Martin with a flying knee [UFC 54: Boiling Point]

Irvin had a tough first round, but at the start of the second, he made Martin pay.

13. Scott Smith shocks Pete Sell [UFC: TUF 4 Finale]

This is still one of the craziest knockouts ever. After a stiff shot to the body, Smith looked like he was done. The lesson for today kids is: never count Scott Smith out.

12. Yves Edwards leaves his feet against Josh Thompson [UFC 49: Unfinished Business]

What is this? A Jean-Claude Van Damme movie?

11. Phil Baroni overwhelms Dave Menne [UFC 39: The Warriors Return]

One of the sickest flurries ever seen in the octagon.

10. Vitor Belfort swarms Wanderlei Silva [UFC: Ultimate Brazil]

Vitor charges Wanderlei and unloads on him -- a classic.

9. Frank Shamrock slams Igor Zinoviev [UFC 16: Battle in the Bayou]

A thing of beauty. Shamrock gets a hold of Zinoviev and drives his head straight into the mat.

8. Pete Williams blasts Mark Coleman [UFC 17: Redemption]

One of the most famous kicks in MMA history.

7. Gerard Gordeau plays dentist with Teila Tuli [UFC 1]

The very first fight in the very first UFC saw Teila Tuli’s tooth go flying in less than 30 seconds.

6. Jens Pulver breaks John Lewis’s jaw [UFC 28: High Stakes]

The nastiest single punch ever in the UFC.

5. Tank Abbott vs. John Matua [UFC 6: Clash of the Titans]

Tank mocking Matua’s convulsions is both tasteless and funny.

4. Keith Hackney ensures Joe Son can never have children [UFC 4: Revenge of the Warriors]

"If he's anything like me, he won't like being kicked in the crotch.” – Homer Simpson

Ah, back in the old days when there were no rules.

Now, some will argue that this was actually a submission victory for Hackney. Hell, it was even officially ruled a tapout due to a choke.

If that is the case, I’m assuming choke is German for "repeated punches to the balls."

Not only was Joe Son done before any kind of choke was even applied, but his will to live would have been completely crushed, also.

3. Gabriel Gonzaga gives Mirko Cro Cop a taste of his own medicine [UFC 70: Nations Collide]

Not only was the KO devastating, but Cro Cop’s leg looks like it’s on backwards.

2. Gary Goodridge throws elbows like they were going out of style [UFC 8: David vs. Goliath]

Goodridge secures a crucifix position and unloads on Paul Herrera with the nastiest elbows I’ve ever seen.

1. Tank Abbott transforms Steve Nelmark into a puddle of goo [UFC: Ultimate Ultimate 1996]

One punch and Nelmark is twisted up like a pretzel against the cage.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Click on the link for the links to the videos.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !