Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Saddest KFM Profile I've Ever Seen

the crying shame...

...is that Lucas' grammatically occluded posts are superior to 90% or the article submissions I receive.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

LOL! How many people send a querry asking how to tell if it's first person, second person, or third person?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

None actually

I do receive a lot of submissions in 1st person that don't really go anywhere. I nickname those 'I-me-mine' pieces, ala the Beatles. I get at least two submissions a week that are first person where the author proceeds to give some sort of colloquial advice, strictly based on his or her opinion, from an author of no particular authority. Isn't that what blogs are for?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    where the author proceeds to give some sort of colloquial advice, strictly based on his or her opinion, from an author of no particular authority. Isn't that what blogs are for?
    I thought that was what the forum was for
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Well, you can also do that in someone's blog on the forum...

I do receive a lot of submissions in 1st person that don't really go anywhere. I nickname those 'I-me-mine' pieces, ala the Beatles. I get at least two submissions a week that are first person where the author proceeds to give some sort of colloquial advice, strictly based on his or her opinion, from an author of no particular authority. Isn't that what blogs are for?
    That kind of reminds me of reading the news paper here in Denver. it doesn't matter wich, they are all like that.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    wow no sht. i couldn't believe people were still doing that in college. the fact that people would submit that on a professional level is astounding. its like those artists who paint with used condoms by filling them with paint until they explode. except that its not like that at all.
    where's my beer?

professional level?

I'm not sure what defines professional when it comes to freelance contributors. How much of your income has to come from writing to consider yourself professional? For many, this is the first article they have submitted anywhere. What's more, the nature of writing for publication has changed dramatically from the impact of the blogosphere. That's challenging for both new writers and veterans.

Nevertheless, we have three editors on staff: two copy editors (Gary Shockley and Lori Ann White) and myself. I'd venture to say the bulk of our work after grammatical corrections is reducing the I-me-mine factor. It's a typical pitfall of writing, and one of the first things I attack when I lead writing workshops.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Too bad the festival's in New York; that one called "sift happens" looks interesting.
    Last edited by Becca; 06-02-2008 at 07:50 PM.