Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross Training---Belts?

Cross Training---Belts?

Do people that cross train various arts for MMA or SD purposes train as normal MA students do going from white to black belt with normal classes or are they training more informally in these arts and focusing only on what they "need" thereby passing up on belts and not even belt testing...just training?

I can only speak for the gym I'm in but...

MT and boxing don't have belts. You do have the option to purchase some colorful shorts though

BJJ yes we have belts. But progression isn't a formal thing like people get accustomed to in the typical karate school or whatever. You beat a couple guys in a tournament. You might get a belt. You tap a few purples (or whatever higher rank than you) over the course of a couple weeks in training. You might get a belt.

Rank isn't even secondary really. Belts are there but really what's more important is what you can do. Half of the guys don't even wear a gi, even on gi night.

Is it like that in Judo also?

Forgot that MT doesnt have ranks...oooops.

judo has belts.

I know Judo has belts but how are they earned?

Is it x number of techniques etc or as BJJ is decribed above?

Thailand's been trying to implement a ranking structure for Muay Thai for the past few years.
    I believe the purpose was to try implement some sort of officially recognized teaching certification.
    Not sure how many gyms actually prescribe to the ranking structure though.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

its a lot like bjj belt promotion. i know when i got my first belt promotion (from white to yellow) it was the coach telling me to demonstrate techniques, and there was a written part, and at the end he had me go against a yellow belt. i don't think i had to win as much as he wanted to see me attempting moves to the best of my ability and show that i could handle myself. but i know that one of my classmates earned his black belt in a tournament in japan. so i think it depends on how far into the ranks you are how they award belts.

So these guys training for MMA arent going the traditional route. They may have that in their background but now may be less concerned with ranks than what's needed to better their game?

Reason I ask is can anyone walk into a school and request to just train and not worry about belts and ranks....or in the case of BJJ/Judo just take the ranks as (or if) they come?

Or is someone like that better off in MT or Boxing to avoid all that?

Quote Originally Posted by KFNOOB View Post
    Reason I ask is can anyone walk into a school and request to just train and not worry about belts and ranks....or in the case of BJJ/Judo just take the ranks as (or if) they come?
    That's how my gym is. Of course if someone new has some skills, someone will ask what his experience is.

Belt rank is not as big a deal in BJJ/MMA as in TMA.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

I myself train to add to what I already know. The more you learn, the better instructor you become.

You cross train for a mired of reasons:
    Variety
    Fill in the gabs of an existing system
    To "know they enemy"
    Etc.
    I don't know of any ( though I am sure there are some) that cross train for "belts".
    The vast majority to it to be better MA, just like the old timers did.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Understood.

What I'm asking is for example...I am going to class every Tuesday and Thursday night..I have belt tesat next week. Guy next to me is just training to have Variety, Fill in gaps etc. with no concern for belts.

Can I just train like that without fighting goals?

Quote Originally Posted by KFNOOB View Post
    Understood.

What I'm asking is for example...I am going to class every Tuesday and Thursday night..I have belt tesat next week. Guy next to me is just training to have Variety, Fill in gaps etc. with no concern for belts.

Can I just train like that without fighting goals?
    You can train however you want, free country.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

How does the person not advancing train in the more advanced classes within the curriculum. Or are MMA fighters just perfecting basics?

from what i can tell the thing with the mma training is that it isn't your rank that signifies your level of ability but rather your performance. so if you are looking at it in terms of learning the 'advanced' curriculum it would be dependent upon your ability to use it.

with typical martial arts that rely on a ranking system they will teach forms or kata or techniques based on your belt/sash/whatever. that maintains a hierarchy within a school and system. with schools that aren't focused on having a hierarchy or ranks they will teach you to your ability and then help you to manage the things that you find more difficult. so the idea is to teach you techniques that you can and will use rather than just the ones appropriate for your rank.

i am not sure if that makes sense. i have been having a hard time collecting my thoughts today. stupid jet lag.