Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jogging vs Jump Rope

Jogging vs Jump Rope

Was told to jog recently by my coach to help me lose weight and to help me build up my lower legs (I've got skinny ankles).
    I gave it the college try but after 2 relatively short sessions my back is absolutely killing me & my hips are tight & sore.
    My feet are really not made for jogging, it's been a pretty big issue since I became an adult; even jogging regularly, i've never really been able to do more than twice a week because of the aches & pains.

I can handle jumping rope without too much problems.
    I've read that jumping rope for 10 minutes is better than jogging 1 mile.
    I also think jumping rope more directly targets the lower legs that I'm trying to build.

What are the benefits and drawbacks of jumping rope versus jogging?
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

No contest: jumping rope is the winner.

Of course, if you were a man you'd do tabata sprints and tabata calf raises!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Jumping rope is great exercise, but it is still a high impact activity. It might be better to begin by power walking until you lose some weight and accustom your legs, knees and ankles to impact. This will slowly build your muscles and strengthen your bones.

It is not uncommon to have back, calve, hamstring, and hip flexor stiffness when one begins to run again after an extended lay off. Be sure to do a warm up stretch and cool down stretch and perhaps work on your overall flexibility as well.

The better you get at something, the easier it gets, the less "effective" it will be as a form of exercise.
    The body is notorious for finding the "path of least resistence" because this is how it was designed.
    The better you get at skipping rope, the less benefitial it will get.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The better you get at something, the easier it gets, the less "effective" it will be as a form of exercise.
    The body is notorious for finding the "path of least resistence" because this is how it was designed.
    Does this mean, "The smarter you get, the dumber you will end up??"

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yah, swimming's like that for me; swam for 40 minutes the other day, was lapping everyone at the pool like i usually get lapped at running, wasn't even breathing hard.

On the other hand, do you think maybe those guys advocating running 5 miles a day are already at the point where the jogging is really not much of a workout for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown
    Jumping rope is great exercise, but it is still a high impact activity. It might be better to begin by power walking until you lose some weight and accustom your legs, knees and ankles to impact. This will slowly build your muscles and strengthen your bones.
    I walk my dog at a fast pace every night for 30 min to get him exercise.
    I normally jump rope 10~15 minutes straight, three times a week no problem.
    To avoid what sanjuro_ronin said, I'll probably have to intentionally up the intensity to make sure i'm not just coasting - thinking tabatas with jump rope (just to make Mr Punch happy).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown
    It is not uncommon to have back, calve, hamstring, and hip flexor stiffness when one begins to run again after an extended lay off. Be sure to do a warm up stretch and cool down stretch and perhaps work on your overall flexibility as well.
    I have some stiffness in my hips that's not so bad. My back right now is absolutely shot - even hurts lying & sitting down. My knees are a bit sore and could maybe handle three times a week if the pain goes away on days off.

I don't like rollercoasters - not because I'm scared, but because my knees tend to bang against the front of the ride - so it hurts. In much the same way, I don't like running - it's not a matter of getting a good workout, breathing hard, or having tired muscles; it really hurts. I'd rather do 10 minutes of burpees than waste any more time jogging.

I'm trying to find alternatives because this level of pain is enough to sap my motivation to train altogether.

Really appreciate the responses.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Does this mean, "The smarter you get, the dumber you will end up??"
    I know a few people like that.

ok, so who's gonna talk about that "800 pound value of muscle confusion strategy" gorilla on the table?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    ok, so who's gonna talk about that "800 pound value of muscle confusion strategy" gorilla on the table?
    P90x nutrider.

Skipping rope.
    Agility, much more coordination, fast feet, you can do lateral stuff easier plus watch Mayweather or Buddy Lee and learn some fancy tricks, do one legged stuff for balance and on and on and on.

Jump rope is awesome.
    Jogging is boring...sprinting up hills is a whole other story though!
    A unique snowflake

what about riding a bike?

i agree that the body finds the easiest way to accomodate a movement, but when riding a bike gets easy, your body can only accomodate a steep hill so much.

might not be the end all be all, but something worth throwing into the mix.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    what about riding a bike?

i agree that the body finds the easiest way to accomodate a movement, but when riding a bike gets easy, your body can only accomodate a steep hill so much.

might not be the end all be all, but something worth throwing into the mix.
    I haven't ridden a bike in years.... that's something i ought to try out again.
    The recumbent bikes at the gym are a little rough on my knees.
    Think I'll see if i can pick up a mountain bike from somewhere.

I have the same problem when I start running after a hiatus. What I find works best is the following steps:
    1) Go to a runner shop, tell them you are a beginner and have no idea how to pick shoes. They will hook you up with the best pair for you. Then buy 1 pair from them (for all their hardwork). Then buy the same model online for cheaper in the future.
    2) Core exercises are a must. When I started running last time my lower back would kill me for the next 3 days. I did some resistance training targeting the lower back and abs to strengthen the core and keep this from occuring.
    3) If you do weights don't run the day after you do leg exercises. Let them rest.

As for the debate between running and jump rope. Alternate the 2 on different days and take advantage of the difference between the 2.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    I have the same problem when I start running after a hiatus. What I find works best is the following steps:
    1) Go to a runner shop, tell them you are a beginner and have no idea how to pick shoes. They will hook you up with the best pair for you. Then buy 1 pair from them (for all their hardwork). Then buy the same model online for cheaper in the future.
    2) Core exercises are a must. When I started running last time my lower back would kill me for the next 3 days. I did some resistance training targeting the lower back and abs to strengthen the core and keep this from occuring.
    3) If you do weights don't run the day after you do leg exercises. Let them rest.

As for the debate between running and jump rope. Alternate the 2 on different days and take advantage of the difference between the 2.
    i agree with 1 and 2, but i wanted to point out that most lifters do cardio (those who do cardio) on off days regardless of whether or not they did legs the day before. i could be wrong here, but if the cardio is low intensity (light jogging or medium paced bike ride) it should actually be good for recovery. keep in mind that football players do sprints etc. no matter what they did the day before.

i also agree that doing both running and jump rope is better than one or the other. i'm a big believer in just moving in general, anything and everything, to keep cardio from getting dull or allowing your body to adapt. then again i hate "doing cardio" so im bound to look for ways to make it fun.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    This last bullet is I think where my problem lies.
    I went straight into a grueling total body workout (with a lot of leg work) right after running.

Earlier this year I went to the New Balance store and spent a good 45 minutes doing various stability tests and picking out shoes. Have this awesome pair of $120+ sneakers.

I'll try to find new ways to make it fun.
    Running on my off days might be the way to go.