Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jogging vs Jump Rope

If you have access to it, wall/rock climbing is lots of fun and good whole body workout too.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

climbing is awesome. i wish we had a rock wall around here. i used to climg things as a kid all the time, but now i worry a little more about getting arrested. i still climb my bridge sometimes though.
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 05-30-2008 at 11:26 AM.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If you have access to it, wall/rock climbing is lots of fun and good whole body workout too.
    agree! It's a whole body woprkout.

also, swimming is whole body work.

the thing is to not get stuck in a groove of one thing, hence my p90x nutriding ...er 800 pound muscle confusion gorilla remark.

plyometrics, a bunch of different exercises.

some kind of cardio boxercise is fun

bag work is hella good, but correct structure is a1 important.

there is a ton of interesting ways to get your cardio.

keep your heart rate in the zone, get a monitor if you need one or do pulse checks with a stopwatch if you know your zone and so on.

i would take cycling or elliptical over jogging personally and jumping rope is great!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I love running

Running is great exercise but you have to start slow. You can't just go out and expect to perform at a high level. You'll end up getting injured or having a miserable experience.

I would start a beginner running program. There are a bunch of them on the web. There is a good one on the "Cool Running" website. It's called the "Couch to 5k running plan". Here's the LINK.

Let me know if you have any questions. I run several times a week pain free. It has taken me a while to get to this point but it is possible.

Jumping rope is also great exercise but kinda boring if you ask me. There are ways to mix it up and keep it fun though. Like doing double unders and different little routines.

Why not do both? If you're too sore to run 3 or 4 days a week then why not jump rope on the days you don't run?

One last thing. I find that going for a nice easy FLAT run on the days after a leg work out help to loosen up my legs, get blood flowing through them to promote healing and helps me in the long run.

There are plenty of people out there who hate running. That's fine, they usually say things like, "I only run if I'm being chased". Or "running will ruin your knees". Don't listen to these people. If you really want to run you should do it but be conservative and work your way up slowly.

Oops. Looks like there is one more last thing. Check out the book "Chi Running". I got it from the local library and it helped me to correct my form so I wouldn't get injured. It's a great book. Here's the LINK.

Well, that's it. Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Five miles a day is a bit much.

Jumping rope is, by raw math, a bigger fat burner than running. However, not a whole lot of people out there can jump rope nonstop for an hour. You burn out quickly.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    Jumping rope is also great exercise but kinda boring if you ask me. There are ways to mix it up and keep it fun though. Like doing double unders and different little routines.
    Thanks for the running program, I'm going to give it a decent shot.
    I'm also going to try to work the cardio mainly on my rest days.
    I'll end up mixing in the jump rope with the running either way coz i jump on my workout days; but if the running workout plan doesn't fit, i'll still try to keep in there at some capacity.

Funny thing about your quote: to me, jogging's the boring one. With jump rope I can just kinda zone out to the rhythm of the rope or do tricks with it if i want to do tricks. When I run I feel like I'm moving in slow motion and I can't wait for it to be over- usually hurts too much to zone out.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 06-02-2008 at 06:30 AM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Thanks for the running program, I'm going to give it a decent shot.
    I'm also going to try to work the cardio mainly on my rest days.
    I'll end up mixing in the jump rope with the running either way coz i jump on my workout days; but if the running workout plan doesn't fit, i'll still try to keep in there at some capacity.

Funny thing about your quote: to me, jogging's the boring one. With jump rope I can just kinda zone out to the rhythm of the rope or do tricks with it if i want to do tricks. When I run I feel like I'm moving in slow motion and I can't wait for it to be over- usually hurts too much to zone out.
    I think a lot of people share your opinion of running. I try to run in interesting places. Mostly on trails or with a running club. Sometimes I run down by the college. Lots of activity down there. Try to pick a good place to run. If you can get past the "this is boring" part, I think you'll find running to be very rewarding. Almost like a meditative experience.

Good luck.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/