Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maurice Smith on karate, GSP, Machida, and Hidehiko Yoshida

Maurice Smith on karate, GSP, Machida, and Hidehiko Yoshida

Dude, the articles you post are good, nothing inflammatory, so, not complaining.

But, this is kungfumagazine.com . Granted this is the MMA subforum, so a decent bit of cross-linking is necessary. But EVERY thread you've started is a link to mmayou. This has gotta stop. We would love to have you as a contributor, and if you want to link to MMAyou in your sig, I would ask Gene about it. But please discontinue the cross-linking for a while.

Thanks,

Mod 3
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

MMAyou.com: Lyoto Machida and Georges St. Pierre are both effective strikers in MMA, and they both have a karate base. What is better for MMA striking, karate or Thai Boxing?

Smith: For me Thai Boxing. Karate’s not really a, to me it’s not a fighting art. It’s more… It’s a traditional fighting art but it’s not, it doesn’t do well too often in MMA or even in kickboxing. It has its place in traditional martial arts but as far as fighting, I don’t see it.
    BWWAAHHH !!

At times Smith does put his foot in his mouth !
    LOL !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

What I find as od is how MMA fighters like Smith say that they respect Judo, yet, just like most martial arts, Judo is struggling for students. It seems like in every edition of USJF Judo Magazine there's an article addressing the issue on how to bring in the MMA crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    What I find as od is how MMA fighters like Smith say that they respect Judo, yet, just like most martial arts, Judo is struggling for students. It seems like in every edition of USJF Judo Magazine there's an article addressing the issue on how to bring in the MMA crowd.
    Honestly I think judo isn't struggling at all. Everytime I go to the gym someone is talking about judo. Takedowns, escapes , ect...
    the reality is that allot of people are very interested in Judo, BUT a large amount are not interested in GI judo.

easy way to get MMA crowd to do Judo with you.. take off the Kimono OR don't use gi only grips and techniques.
    on the whole I think anyone who is into MMA wants to know some crazy judo throw.. so they can slam somebody in a fight or tournament and look badass.

Me.. I like pulling guard :P

We've just added- I mean "just" in that we had a meeting last Wednesday- blended martial arts and no-gi class starting next Wednesday. We decided to call it blended rather than mixed. MMA is a style now- not a theory. Judo will be the core (it is a Judo club after all), but our coach used to coach wrestling and was a collegiate wrestler back in the day- so more of that will be added- I'll help with striking, traps, and locks (my own little Mantis/Judo hybrid)- and we have a couple of hapkido black belts (not sure what they'll be able to ad). I'd love to get a Jiu-Jitsu guy, but beggers can't be choosers. Plus we added more open mat time for people to work out on whatever they want. It went over really well when we announced it, so we'll see how it goes.

Gotta get with the times you know...

MMA is a style now- not a theory.

Surely you jest!

MMA is a competition ruleset, not a style
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post

Surely you jest!

He isn't jesting

but dont' call him Shirley
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    He isn't jesting

but dont' call him Shirley
    What's your vector, victor?

Roger, Roger

Over, Unger?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

think about it...

Is there a variation? Basically it's a blend of Thai Boxing and Jiu Jitsu. Postures, hold-downs, positions of control, striking strategy--- these are pretty universal at every MMA gym... so No, I'm not kidding. You can drill exclusively for competition MMA as it's own thing. A couple of wrestling and no gi techniques, plus thai boxing drills, and a lot of conditioning = a new style called MMA.

Is there a variation? Basically it's a blend of Thai Boxing and Jiu Jitsu. Postures, hold-downs, positions of control, striking strategy--- these are pretty universal at every MMA gym... so No, I'm not kidding. You can drill exclusively for competition MMA as it's own thing. A couple of wrestling and no gi techniques, plus thai boxing drills, and a lot of conditioning = a new style called MMA.
    Well, are you drilling wrestling or BJJ? How about BJJ or Judo ground? Catch wrestling, Greco or Freestyle? San Shou or Muay Thai? Mixing any boxing into any of that?

There is too much variation in the components that make up MMA training from school to school to nail it down to a specific 'style'.

Sometimes, 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 1 + 1 + 1 +1 instead of 4.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 06-06-2008 at 10:12 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

that's not the point...

Because if you say "MMA"... it brings forth a certain mental picture from potential students. "MMA" defines a way of fighting- a rules set- or certain type of fighting (try to follow). It's like saying "Xerox". For what we're doing, "blended" is a better term. MMA is unique, like San Shou is unique. You don't need to train in any particular style to gain the skill sets required to be a good competitor--- in theory, it is it's own style and can be trained as it's own style.

Because if you say "MMA"... it brings forth a certain mental picture from potential students. "MMA" defines a way of fighting- a rules set- or certain type of fighting (try to follow). It's like saying "Xerox". For what we're doing, "blended" is a better term. MMA is unique, like San Shou is unique. You don't need to train in any particular style to gain the skill sets required to be a good competitor--- in theory, it is it's own style and can be trained as it's own style.
    So what does an "MMA" punch look like?

What does an "MMA" kick look like?

What does an "MMA" takedown look like?

What does an "MMA" submission hold look like?