Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maurice Smith on karate, GSP, Machida, and Hidehiko Yoshida

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    So what does an "MMA" punch look like?

What does an "MMA" kick look like?

What does an "MMA" takedown look like?

What does an "MMA" submission hold look like?
    You're thinking like a skilled martial artist, not a general consumer. It would be wrong for me to advertise being a MMA school or teaching MMA if I'm not pushing cage fighting or what the general consumer thinks MMA is which is basically what they see on TV.

I'm not doing that. I plan on using mantis handwork and traps. Sometimes there will be weapons and self defense. These aren't things that belong in a MMA gym and they're not for people who are motivated to do what they see on TV. I prefer to think of it as blending traditional arts with the traditional training methods and techniques. Yes there will be plenty of Randori and controlled sparring. But it's not UFC--- it's not MMA style.

Jab, Cross, Shovel Hook, Hook, Upper Cut, Over Hand Straight.

Round Kick, Push Kick, Foot Jab-- sometimes side and side thrust and back - but these are frowned on... forget crescents.

Submissions are pretty much universal Judo or Jiu Jitsu without the gi.

The single and double leg takedown are the two biggies for MMA style. Judo frowns on "sloppy" tackles. Remember a take down has to show technique and force- MMA--- not so much as long as he's down and you somehow scramble to a position of control.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I'm not doing that. I plan on using mantis handwork and traps. Sometimes there will be weapons and self defense. These aren't things that belong in a MMA gym and they're not for people who are motivated to do what they see on TV. I prefer to think of it as blending traditional arts with the traditional training methods and techniques. Yes there will be plenty of Randori and controlled sparring. But it's not UFC--- it's not MMA style.
    That's because MMA is competition format and you are not teaching skills specific to that format.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

That's because MMA is competition format and you are not teaching skills specific to that format.
    True enough - that's pretty much it. I don't want people to get the wrong impression or say that we're doing something that we're not.

I like to think that we're more "traditionalist" since there's a good Jiu Jitsu school in Ann Arbor and Dan "the Beast" Severn's gym is only about an hour away. If that's what a person wants, I'll push them that way.

Punch - jab, haymaker from outside as people don't want to stand in the "kitchen" and risk a takedown, dirty boxing (uppercuts while holding the head down), and long hooks. Boxers have a hard time avoiding the clinch, let alone takedowns - just look at the career of John Ruiz. Boxing purists are always going to lament MMA punching because the modifications that need to be made to work in that environment won't look like "proper" boxing technique.

Kick - less reliance on the teep, roundkicks thrown without the hip turned over all the way as to not risk a takedown. Otherwise the best san shou gyms would probably be the most established muay thai gyms. I score 3 sweeps every time I spar my muay thai team mates, doesn't happen as much with mma guys and even less with san shou guys.

Takedown - wrestling (greco, folk, freestyle) and judo takedowns with over/underhooks instead of the gi. Not hugely knowledgeable here, but I imagine there are certain modifications that need to be made to make the techniques work in that environment.

Submission - generally low risk bjj & sambo/catch submissions, so one doesn't lose position and risk a ground n pound. That statement comes straight out of the sam sheridan book - he gets his info directly from Brazillian Top Team.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

cjurakpt Guest
    MMA is a concept; because in context of live, pressure-based training, adherence to the ideal of a given "style" has no relevance; as soon as you say "style", you limit, because a style is defined by what it is / how it does things - meaning that there are thing it intrinsically doesn't have / ways it doesn't do things; if it doesn't, then it will be constantly evolving as the need to modify arises;

the other piece is that the concept of a MA "style" as most know it is not inherently an American / Western construct: it developed in context of Asian culture (especially Japan, and to varying degrees in China), which is predicated on a different set of inherent assumptions about how society ought to be structured (e.g. - pick one thing to study; spend 50 years on it; realize the interconnection of all things by mastering that one thing)

the concept of MMA is based on varying curricula that evolve over time (although it will slow down at some point as various techniques hit the ceiling of efficiency / percentage and become the mainstays); you can call what you do "Joe's MMA" and pretend it's a style in the traditional sense, but the truth is that it's not; it's a set of techniques and methodologies designed to win fights that are structured under a highly permissive rule system; it also has a conditioning aspect which is appealing to non-fighters;

I think that the bottom line is to get past the whole "is it a style or not" and to continue to focus on the principles underlying what "works" in MMA (and other systems) why

quick mental exercise...

Close your eyes.

Clear your mind.

Say "ohhmmmmm" if you like.

Empty your mind...

Keep emptying it.....

keep it empty.....

Have a buddy say....

"Mixed Martial Arts"

What do you see?

Ring girls.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Thumbs up

Ring girls.
    Awesome! LOL

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ****, you guys just can't let go of the style vs. style argument can you?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Judo is awesome for throwing in san shou and mma. I sparred with an MMA guy who just had his first fight and I took him down with a beautiful would-be crowd pleasing seoi nage...it was amazing...went straight into side control and started working a kimura.

Don't disprespect the judo!

My only complaint is it really smashes the body up in a gi and I found myself accumulating too many injuries.
    A unique snowflake

Ring girls.
    You sir, are a Yang man !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You sir, are a Yang man !
    don't egg him on, he's got quite enough yang as it is
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"