Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Seven Samurai

Seven samauri was on tv a while ago. probably one of the movie channels like cinemax or something. I wish I would have known so i could have taped it, instead of only getting to see half.

Go buy the dvd right away!
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

dubbed Kurosawa?

I've never seen a dubbed Seven Samurai. Have they colorized it too?
    That is one of my all time favorite movies.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I don't know if there are other DVD's floating around out there, but the Criterion Collection Version doesn't seem to have any dialog track except the original Japanese (there is a commentary track in english by Michael Jeck.) If you speak Japanese, or just find subtitles distracting from the visual integrity, it is possible to remove them by using the "subtitle" toggle button on your remote.

Amazon has a 4-pack that includes Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and The Hidden Fortress for $86. Considering Seven Samurai alone is $35, that sounds like a great deal to me.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I wish I have seen those movies..
    I saw a part of 7S when i was a kid, but I was too bored with it, so I dropped it.
    Remember, I was just a kid..
    btw, my avatar is relevant to this as well.

Hey just wanted to point out if ya didn't already know that the western movie "The Magnificent Seven" is based on "The Seven Samurai". I'm sure there are lots of other movies that have used this formula too. Also, as another note George Lucas has said in some interviews that "The Hidden Fortresss" was a big influence on the story for the first "Star Wars". So it seems that Kurasawa was a big influence on western movie makers as well. Thanks for listening.

It works both ways, actually. Kurosawa's script for "Yojimbo" is based on the crime novel "Red Harvest" by Dashiell Hammett, who also wrote "The Maltese Falcon." The same story was also used for "A Fistful of Dollars" and (most unfortunately) "Last Man Standing." Heck, "Ras****n" was remade as "The Outrage" in America (or perhaps England - I forget.) Plus, Kurosawa reset Shakespeare into medieval Japan not once but twice! "Macbeth" became "Throne of Blood" and "King Lear" became "Ran."

Edit - Dang that censor is annoying.
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 08-11-2003 at 10:37 PM.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

The same story was also used for "A Fistful of Dollars" and (most unfortunately) "Last Man Standing."
    Don't forget the other version of Yojimbo, Rutger Hauer's "Omega Doom," which transplants the story into a dark future in which robots battle cyborgs (for no reason) for control of a small ghost town with no resources.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...stomer-reviews
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

Watched Magnificent 7 again the other night. Great movie.

I have really old and bad VHS copies of Seven Samurai and Ros****n. I'm waiting for a sale or something before I buy the DVDs.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by dwid
    Don't forget the other version of Yojimbo, Rutger Hauer's "Omega Doom," which transplants the story into a dark future in which robots battle cyborgs (for no reason) for control of a small ghost town with no resources.
    I didn't forget about it, I'd never heard of it. And frankly from your description, I think I preferred it that way!
    Crippled Avenger

Seven Samurai

New Chinese Movie Pays Tribute to "Seven Samurai"
    2008-09-23 19:13:32

Young Chinese director Yang Shupeng recently finished shooting his second movie, "Ku Zhu Lin," a tribute to Japanese director Akira Kurosawa's 1954 film "Seven Samurai."

"Ku Zhu Lin," or "Bitter Bamboo Grove," stars Chinese actors Hu Jun and Jiang Wu. It is expected to screen at this year's Tokyo International Film Festival in October.
    I forecast more with John Fusco's (Forbidden Kingdom screenwriter) rumored project, Seven Samurai, so I'll just set this up for then.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Seven Samurai is a lesson in all facets of MA.
    From the practical to that esoteric.
    Its a lesson on passivity, a lesson on why those that can do things, should do them ( because no one else will), it shows all the good and the bad of Bushido.
    It also gives on the the best lessons in the difference between reality and perception in MA:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHrG...eature=related
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Seven Samurai is definitely one of the most influential films of all time, period. That goes beyond being a martial arts movie, and yet it's one of the best m.a. movies as well. I especially like the quiet samurai with outstanding skill that the young kid idolizes. This character speaks very little in the movie, and in spite of that (or more likely because of that), he is an excellent model to aspire to.

That being said, I probably enjoy watching the Western remake, The Magnificent Seven, a bit more.

Magnificent Seven redux

From the press release:
    Director Antoine Fuqua brings his modern vision to a classic story in Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures' and Columbia Pictures' The Magnificent Seven. With the town of Rose Creek under the deadly control of industrialist Bartholomew Bogue (Peter Sarsgaard), the desperate townspeople employ protection from seven outlaws, bounty hunters, gamblers and hired guns - Sam Chisolm (Denzel Washington), Josh Farraday (Chris Pratt), Goodnight Robicheaux (Ethan Hawke), Jack Horne (Vincent D'Onofrio), Billy Rocks (Byung-Hun Lee), Vasquez (Manuel Garcia-Rulfo), and Red Harvest (Martin Sensmeier). As they prepare the town for the violent showdown that they know is coming, these seven mercenaries find themselves fighting for more than money.

The film is directed by Antoine Fuqua. The screenplay is by Nic Pizzolatto and Richard Wenk. The producers are Roger Birnbaum and Todd Black.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the Criterion Collection

This bums me out as I enjoy the Criterion Collection on Hulu+. This will also affect Touch of Zen, Dragon Inn, and some others.

Turner And Criterion Team To Launch Classic Movie SVOD Service
    by David Lieberman
    April 26, 2016 5:45am

Time Warner’s Turner unit is joining corporate cousin HBO in the direct-to-consumer subscription video on demand business — and in a way that should please fans of classic films — as well as those of the Beatles.

Turner’s launching an ad-free streaming site, FilmStruck, this fall featuring what it calls “an eclectic mix of contemporary and classic art house, indie, foreign and cult films.” Turner Classic Movies will run the operation, which will be the exclusive streaming venue for the Criterion Collection, including its Criterion Channel.

Criterion’s library is moving from Hulu, where it had been had been available since 2011 after moving from Netflix.

Turner says pricing for FilmStruck is still being determined. Films it will offer include The Beatles’ A Hard Day’s Night plus Seven Samurai, A Room With A View, Blood Simple, My Life As A Dog, Mad Max, Breaker Morant and The Player.

Last month Turner CEO John Martin disclosed his plan to launch “at least a couple of direct-to-consumer products in the marketplace” by the end of 2016. He said that they “could be at our existing networks” and might be “brand extensions for passions where people might be willing to pay us.”

Today he calls FilmStruck “a terrific example of our strategy to meet consumer demand for great content across all screens.” The Turner chief says it’s “tailor-made for the diehard movie enthusiast who craves a deep, intimate experience with independent, foreign, and art house films. And it takes advantage of TCM’s powerful curation capabilities, as well as its proven track record in building a long-term relationship with passionate film fans.”

The company calls this its “latest move…to innovate beyond the traditional television ecosystem.” It partnered with WME-IMG to form an eSports league, ELeague, that will launch this summer. It has invested in Mashable. And CNN’s funding an ad-supported independent operation, Great Big Story, with BuzzFeed-like news and non-fiction targeting Milennials.

Criterion Collection President Peter Becker says the new service will include “a steady stream of exclusive original content and archival discoveries, plus continual access to more than 1,000 films from the Janus Films library, many unavailable on disc or anywhere else.””
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips