Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMA Training Tools vs Weapons

TMA Training Tools vs Weapons

Greetings,

This is something that has been bugging me for a while.

With the changes going on in this country and throughout the world, it may become increasingly difficult to train the hoplological aspects of our disciplines if we continue to refer to them as weapons and if the wholesalers/retailers of such products continue to refer to them as so. Using the term "weapon" suggests the intent to do harm to someone else and I think it is the use of this word that causes our disciplines to receive much undeserved scrutiny.

A few years ago, I went to have a few "weapon" heads chrome plated. The guy refused to do so because I referred to them as weapons. Instead of turning me away he used a different word to make the transaction possible. He used the word "ornament". Looking back on that, I realized that he was correct. The heads were not intended to do harm to anyone. And the word stayed with me.

If we do not take a stand and make clear that our study of hoplology is one of cultural preservation and that the ornaments/tools we use are intended to support that, it will become impossible to make such purchases in the future.

For the most part, what we buy are not sharpened.

Please discuss.

mickey

Buying? Selling? Answering questions about your traditional martial arts weapons?

Always call them ornamental and for cultural practice.

Always. It's been that way for my whole life. Mainly because I'm a Canadian and when we buy a hand gun we cannot say it is for any thing other than target practice. Rifles and shotguns are for hunting in season.

Ever.

I don't know why we put ourselves through these silly hoops, but we do and as long as we have to, I guess I'm going to. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Call them taichi tools used for spiritual enlightenment

Sports training equipment

It's hard to transport 'weapons' across borders, whether it be through customs in your luggage or in a shipment. We've had staffs stopped.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Since kung fu people rarely, if ever, actually practice with weapons as if they are really weapons, it's best to call them "training implements" for your "cultural dance" routines.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    [...]"cultural dance" routines.
    Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Sad but true.
    well, would you rather be getting into street battle with machetes and axes?
    lol.

martial arts is all a cultural dance until the glove lands on the eye that ain't guiding it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

It's hard to transport 'weapons' across borders, whether it be through customs in your luggage or in a shipment. We've had staffs stopped.
    it could have been far worse, imagine if it was in fact a shippment of staves

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Chinese wushu weapons

While most TCMA weapons that are used are not always combat ready, I feel the practice is still practical in forms and two man drills. The use of the different sizes and shapes double and single weapons, two hand and one weapons, help with building arm strength, dexterity, and coordination.

The techniques of many traditional weapons can be applied to common objects we may find around us in a self-defense situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jui heshang View Post
    While most TCMA weapons that are used are not always combat ready, I feel the practice is still practical in forms and two man drills. The use of the different sizes and shapes double and single weapons, two hand and one weapons, help with building arm strength, dexterity, and coordination.

The techniques of many traditional weapons can be applied to common objects we may find around us in a self-defense situation.
    Or you can run someone into a wall and then hit them with a chair.
    Follow up with throwing something heavy at their head. Like an ashtray, or a pool ball. This works.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I had someone throw a big round glass ashtray at me one time. but i dodged it. so he pulled a gun on me. i should have gone down with the ashtray.

lesson?

dont ever dodge the ashtray, just take it like a man.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jui heshang View Post
    Number one in the Jackie Chan Rules of Street Fighting
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I had someone throw a big round glass ashtray at me one time. but i dodged it. so he pulled a gun on me. i should have gone down with the ashtray.

lesson?

dont ever dodge the ashtray, just take it like a man.
    Well, you shouldn't have screwed his wife then.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Greetings,

I see that the thread has meandered a little.

It is not about the usage, it is about proper labeling to ensure that we can continue to pursue what we love. Unfortunately, MA magazines do this, MA catalogs do this, etc. We need to uniformly take the responsibility in the proper labeling of our tools.

-N-:

Hoplology is a term created by the late Donn Draeger for the research and understanding of the usage of ancient weapons. It was not about sword dances.

mickey

Continuing....

If we don't take the necessary steps, I see a vast change in the materials that are used to create our tools: plastic, cheap wood, junkyard steel. The price of a wooden sword will leap.

Responsibility is also very important for retailers. One time I went to a MA store and I saw shuriken in the display. I asked about them and in the sellers response he offered to sharpen them for me. I was fourteen at the time.

mickey