Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: The Pole

Hi
    From a fighting perspective, try both sides the hand forward you can fight best with is your side of choice.
    I'm right handed and feel more comfortable with the right hand\foot at back.. I think I'm slightly quicker with pole in that stance.. RH is power hand, LH is guiding hand in my case.

From a health and postural perspective, assymetrical movements in any sport\activity can lead to dysfunction. Look at injuries amongst some tennis and golf players as an example. For that reason I would practice the form and movements on both sides. This would also be expected to have beeter carry over to wingchun non-weapon holding movements.
    Just some quick thoughts.
    Interested to here others.
    OB

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Ray_Brooks View Post
    I don't post often, but I know there are some very credible Wing Chun sources here when I do want some broader perspective and I do have a question/observation about the staff form. I really appreciate anyone who knows the answer or has some insight.

When I learned this form, I don't recall a strong message about which hand should be back (near the blunt end) and which should be forward (toward the middle) of the staff. I do remember a discussion about it being the only place in the system where we don't practice symmetry, the nature of the pole is that you have to pick an orientation. I always thought I should practice it both ways, but haven't made that investment.

I observe that most people I've met and in most photos or videos I see the exponent has their left hand in the back and their right hand in the middle, but not all. Some people seem to do it the other way.

Were any of you given an edict and/or explanation as to which way was "right" and "wrong" and why?

I have some theories, but confess to not knowing this answer, so I'd prefer to hear from someone who does. Thank you in advance.
    ------------------------------------------
    Practicing on both sides will help in having a balanced structure. I am assuming that you have a good understanding of the empty hand forms-otherwise the pole can control you.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the perspective. I learned it left hand back, but in my mind, always intended to practice it both ways. I noticed recently that most people seem to do it left hand back, but not everyone. Was curious if there was a right/wrong/orthodox way and if anyone knew why. Mostly an academic question.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------
    Practicing on both sides will help in having a balanced structure. I am assuming that you have a good understanding of the empty hand forms-otherwise the pole can control you.
    Well, we're all beginners, but I've had good sifus and put a lot of training in. My hands are okay, but can always be better, of course.

I do appreciate the responses.

Short Bridge Athletic Association
    www.shortbridgeaa.com
    Seattle, WA
    Last edited by ShortBridge; 02-08-2015 at 05:28 PM.

I don't post often, but I know there are some very credible Wing Chun sources here when I do want some broader perspective and I do have a question/observation about the staff form. I really appreciate anyone who knows the answer or has some insight.

When I learned this form, I don't recall a strong message about which hand should be back (near the blunt end) and which should be forward (toward the middle) of the staff. I do remember a discussion about it being the only place in the system where we don't practice symmetry, the nature of the pole is that you have to pick an orientation. I always thought I should practice it both ways, but haven't made that investment.

I observe that most people I've met and in most photos or videos I see the exponent has their left hand in the back and their right hand in the middle, but not all. Some people seem to do it the other way.

Were any of you given an edict and/or explanation as to which way was "right" and "wrong" and why?

I have some theories, but confess to not knowing this answer, so I'd prefer to hear from someone who does. Thank you in advance.
    I haven't posted here in a long while but always like to contribute when I see threads about Wing Chun Pole.

There is a trend that we practice everything both sides to maintain a balance and as much as that is true we should consider perfecting one side first, especially with regards to the Pole. There was a saying I heard once like "a soldiers spear has the left in front and the General has his right" and the logic behind it (taking into account in older cultures everyone was trained to be right handed) is that the spear tip is lighter than the big Chopper that a General would use. Like using a snooker cue or a baseball bat.

So Wing Chun Pole is said to be a Generals Weapon, which is why we should treasure it.

Respects to all. Train well and stay safe!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

The pole is for moving a junk through the shallows, but it was also developed into a weapon to ward off pirates from boarding the junk. Which hand is at the rear is dependant upon which side plank of the junk you are defending from. I personally think it is best to use what you are comfortable with. as in right or left handed.
    Jackie Lee

You should train the pole both left and right handed. To maintain balance. The long pole develops Cheung Kiu Lik (long bridge strength), which should be trained on both sides.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Thank you all for your replies. Of course it makes sense that I should strive to be equally comfortable either way.

Short Bridge Athletic Association
    www.shortbridgeaa.com
    Seattle, WA
    Last edited by ShortBridge; 02-08-2015 at 05:28 PM.