Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pole

Should the pot call the kettle black, Spencer? Crossing poles can be fun in an exchange.

Throwing down your weapon shows no finesse, especially when you complete a set.

Many WCK people don't even salute when they begin a form or end a form, and simply get up and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Throwing down your weapon shows no finesse, especially when you complete a set.

Many WCK people don't even salute when they begin a form or end a form, and simply get up and walk away.
    We should treasure our weapons. Also what does it represent to be divesting yourself of your weapon(s)? If nothing else it is bloomin' noisy. Imagine throwing your knives down to the floor as well.

As to the salute, I was never taught to salute at the beginning or end of forms. Perhaps if doing a public performance? I always bowed/saluted practice partners.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Should the pot call the kettle black, Spencer? Crossing poles can be fun in an exchange.
    I don't recall me talking of a 12 o'clock pole Robert! That's what I was refering to here. Its all good fun mate, of course I would be honoured to cross poles with you.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    We should treasure our weapons. Also what does it represent to be divesting yourself of your weapon(s)? If nothing else it is bloomin' noisy. Imagine throwing your knives down to the floor as well.
    I see Uncle Kwok 'place' the pole back to the floor, tip to base, which I can only presume is the way he was shown. Personally, I agree with you both. As for the knives, I've never seen people use the scabbard as I do either to open and close.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    As to the salute, I was never taught to salute at the beginning or end of forms. Perhaps if doing a public performance? I always bowed/saluted practice partners.
    Great point! And something I noticed at my beginnings. I was taught as a performer first, so a salutation (cheng lai) was mandatory.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

yip never taught the pole using chop sticks. The story goes wsl was hassling yip to learn the knives. He had been doing it for heaps and yip went ok here it is. He used chop sticks as the knives. The next day yip man come in and wsl was doing the form. Yip obviously thought **** i got to show him properly. But from what i heard yip personally taught leung sheung the knives and lok yui the pole then got them to show everyone else as yip was pretty old by then.
    Last edited by bennyvt; 03-12-2010 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    But from what i heard yip personally taught leung sheung the knives and lok yui the pole then got them to show everyone else as yip was pretty old by then.
    Interesting comment

There has been claims in the Lee Shing family of Ip Man actually passing his knives to Lee Shing, but I couldn't comment as I wasn't there. I know the 'design' is very similar to his set I saw in the Foshan museum.

Lok Yiu was mentioned and very highly respected by my Sifu as a Pole man. Both he and Jiu Wan were very good friends with Lee Shing too, introducing him to Ip Man I understand.

It would be good to see somemore variations of pole plays from these lineages, can anyone help? I recently found clips of Jason Lau, and this one has an interesting pole demo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2plEC4adSw
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 03-12-2010 at 10:24 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Both pole forms look like spear forms to me. What happen to the spear head?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Again, this 'half point' doesn't exist! I use the 'half pole' method to defend and attack with the pole at close range. As for lines of attack, I'm not sure what you mean here. . . . .
    The Bun Dim DOES exist is some people's pole form.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    yip never taught the pole using chop sticks. The story goes wsl was hassling yip to learn the knives. He had been doing it for heaps and yip went ok here it is. He used chop sticks as the knives. The next day yip man come in and wsl was doing the form. Yip obviously thought **** i got to show him properly. But from what i heard yip personally taught leung sheung the knives and lok yui the pole then got them to show everyone else as yip was pretty old by then.
    Logically to make a blanket statement as to what Yip Man did or didn't do would require a person to have been with him 24/7. Since that can't be the case blanket statements would be illogical.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Logically to make a blanket statement as to what Yip Man did or didn't do would require a person to have been with him 24/7. Since that can't be the case blanket statements would be illogical.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Phol- benny just repeated what he had heard. No harm in that. No one followed Ip Man 24/7
    besides Ip Man. History is full of stories.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    The Bun Dim DOES exist is some people's pole form.
    I understand your 'point' Phil, as most guys I know relate this 1/2 point to a semi-circle/half moon motion or even using the butt end of the pole.

What I'm saying is that is not the way I know.

No half point, just half pole!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Perhaps a different take. imo. fwwiw

The six and a half points are not necessarily related to six and a half motions, because there are more than six and a half possible motions and points in using the wing chun 8 foot pole.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Phol- benny just repeated what he had heard. No harm in that. No one followed Ip Man 24/7
    besides Ip Man. History is full of stories.

joy chaudhuri
    Yes it is.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Both pole forms look like spear forms to me. What happen to the spear head?
    I think it got left embedded in them soldiers!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Rare footage

Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr