Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pole

Dude Cheung looked to be in decent shape way back when!
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Nice clip Phil. Thanks for posting.

Did Sifu Cheung change his pole form in any way like he has with the empty hand forms? It would be interesting to have your input...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Nice clip Phil. Thanks for posting.

Did Sifu Cheung change his pole form in any way like he has with the empty hand forms? It would be interesting to have your input...
    There might be some slight variations but the 6 1/2 strikes remain the same.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    There might be some slight variations but the 6 1/2 strikes remain the same.
    And how would you explain/teach these 6 1/2 'strikes' from the form displayed in the clip?

It's only I find this subject more interesting than any other, as like Biu Jee and the knife work of Wing Chun, everyone seems to be on an individual tip and there's not much similarity among family across the board.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

And how would you explain/teach these 6 1/2 'strikes' from the form displayed in the clip?

It's only I find this subject more interesting than any other, as like Biu Jee and the knife work of Wing Chun, everyone seems to be on an individual tip and there's not much similarity among family across the board.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a family??? Gasp!!!!

Perhaps across the bored.

joy chaudhuri

The Pole

Decent video Ed from 'Windy City' made about some important basic principles involving the pole in regards to using the body, not hands. Non-lineage specific so let's try not to get into a **** measuring contest here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue2of...e_gdata_player

I always like to see people exchange ideas about the Wing Chun pole, but I have to say something about this clip because it is a very good example of Ip Mans idea. There is no 'form' it's just sets of exercises

Yes, that's true. But this is not the whole truth about the pole at all.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    Decent video Ed from 'Windy City' made about some important basic principles involving the pole in regards to using the body, not hands. Non-lineage specific so let's try not to get into a **** measuring contest here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue2of...e_gdata_player

Thanks for posting interesting to be able to see another pole idea...

I always like to see people exchange ideas about the Wing Chun pole, but I have to say something about this clip because it is a very good example of Ip Mans idea. There is no 'form' it's just sets of exercises

Yes, that's true. But this is not the whole truth about the pole at all.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What is the whole truth?

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    What is the whole truth?
    It is nothing but the truth Joy

Something I fear has been missing for some time with regards to our Weaponry practises.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Lee Shing Family Pole Methods

As an example, I ask if anyone uses methods like this where empty hand and weaponry sets are connected to broaden our understanding:

"I finished the day by sharing a simple pole technique that helps to understand our arrow fist set, something that is unique to the Lee Shing family of Wing Chun. By using the first set of the pole form we connect salutation methods into fierce attacking movements that penetrate the straight lines into an opponent, taking them down to the floor using phoenix eyes and hanging elbows and fists!"

Taken from my article here
    http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...2&postcount=67
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

It is nothing but the truth Joy

Something I fear has been missing for some time with regards to our Weaponry practises.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't follow- but then I am not a Lee Sing guy.

I don't follow- but then I am not a Lee Sing guy.
    This isn't just Lee Shing people I am talking about Joy, although I do know that we have never publically released our pole form out of respect, because it wasn't taught by Ip Man.

When was the last time you actually saw a decent Wing Chun weaponry demonstration, or the pole and knives sparring?

Personally, I think it's because the knowledge is with very few individuals, and hasn't been promoted so much to the public. And unfortunately, without it, we will continue to see 'adaptions' and such things as Filipino cross-training to fill-in the gaps.

For me, the weaponry is the soul of Wing Chun and so without it (and with limited ideas like in the clip) we will lose our way. If this hasn't happend to many already?!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Comments in brackets

This isn't just Lee Shing people I am talking about Joy, although I do know that we have never publically released our pole form out of respect, because it wasn't taught by Ip Man.

((I don't follow the reasoning))

When was the last time you actually saw a decent Wing Chun weaponry demonstration, or the pole and knives sparring?

((Quite a few times))

Personally, I think it's because the knowledge is with very few individuals, and hasn't been promoted so much to the public. And unfortunately, without it, we will continue to see 'adaptions' and such things as Filipino cross-training to fill-in the gaps.

((FWIW Ip man taught only about 4 people the bot jam do systematically and a few more the kwan. One movement shot of Lee Sing that I saw with the pole was quite different from Ip man principles. There are non IM versions of usage--I know, I know))joy

For me, the weaponry is the soul of Wing Chun and so without it (and with limited ideas like in the clip) we will lose our way. If this hasn't happend to many already?!
    ((Well-- there are opinions....))Joy

FWIW Ip man taught only about 4 people the bot jam do systematically and a few more the kwan. One movement shot of Lee Sing that I saw with the pole was quite different from Ip man principles. There are non IM versions of usage--I know, I know))joy
    This is my point, although you are playiong with words Joy. Wing Chun is not governed by Ip Mans 'principles', they have been there all along. Ip Man simply disgarded many older methods in favour of his own ideas. And obviously some of his students decided to use words like 'scientific' and 'practical', 'close quarters' or whatever!

And my point is that Lee Shings pole form is put together totally differently than Ip Mans set because it has not been cut down or minimized in any way. As far as I know, it's as close to the original form than anything else I have seen (in Wing Chun!) Not to mention the 3.5 point pole from the Fung family he had too.

Well-- there are opinions....
    I realize this. And all opinions have their individual worth.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術