Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello

Germans are strange. You'll never convince me otherwise.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

OK He has time to read forums and post on yours, but not enough time to reply or check an email? The tourey 20 years ago doesnt matter, but outlandish claims by a random person are. This is all just crap! Why not fess up and say someone made up the post? I am just not following you here Tom. Why lie bout crap that doesnt even matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Try calling him.
    I thought about that, but I don't want the expense of an unnecessary international call plus I don't want my wife thinking I'm any weirder than she already does.

He does not care ...

If you are not one of his past or present students, he has nothing to do with you.
    So he's not likely going to answer my email?

He is a very polite man ...
    That's in direct contradiction to the quote before. I was very polite in my email. Not answering is impolite.

Ok..what if I get someone else to verify the tournament?
    Isn't that what I tried to do?
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

So Fox; it looks like Toby, who is a neutral 3rd party, is doubting that Wolfgang posted on your forum. Trust me, he's not the only one.

And yes Toby, I caught that huge contradiction too. He's a polite guy, yet he won't reply to a polite e-mail.

Remember, I gave Fox ANOTHER option, he could have Wolfgang send him my original e-mail and Fox could post it, thus proving Fox is communicating with Wolfgang without having to involve Wolfgang further.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

You know, international calls are really not that expensive. I have to call China all the time, Germany can't be that expensive.

Persuing it this far but stopping short of spending a couple bucks does not make a compelling reason to draw a conclusion. Just call the guy.

I'd call, but I don't care, and don't even know what he's supposed to have said in the first place. If my name were Wolfgang, I'd care even less, and simply reap the benefits of having the coolest name ever.

Well I do not speak German.

Whether Wolfgang speaks English very well is a mystery. In various posts Fox has said he does and he has said he doesn't. Just more evidence he is lying.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    So Fox; it looks like Toby, who is a neutral 3rd party, is doubting that Wolfgang posted on your forum. Trust me, he's not the only one.
    I didn't ask about the forum posts. I just asked if Wolfgang could verify Tom had fought in a full-contact Shotokan tournament and for some details about the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Persuing it this far but stopping short of spending a couple bucks does not make a compelling reason to draw a conclusion. Just call the guy.

I'd call, but I don't care ...
    I don't care either. I just volunteered to offer a few translation services and try to help one or other of these guys. At the moment it looks like I've helped 1bad65 since Wolfgang hasn't stepped up to help out Tom.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

Whether Wolfgang speaks English very well is a mystery.
    IIRC I read the transcript of what he supposedly posted in another forum somewhere back in this thread (can't be bothered looking). If Wolfgang wrote that transcript it would imply he has very good English, way above the average middle-aged German. OTOH if you did want to call yourself, most people under 40-50 will speak at least a small amount of English.

First of all, thank you for your time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    At the moment it looks like I've helped 1bad65 since Wolfgang hasn't stepped up to help out Tom.
    True. And the excuses given by Fox are flat out ridiculous and pathetic.

Whether Wolfgang speaks English very well is a mystery. In various posts Fox has said he does and he has said he doesn't. Just more evidence he is lying.
    I'm saying there are German speakers who cared enough to write the email. Put ten bucks on a phone card and call, and a conclusion can be easily drawn, you'll probably still have five bucks on the phone card, short of that, it's kind of dodgy to put so much energy into it all, except for the part that counts.

I mean, if the guy posted, you say he posted twice. That's about a thousandth of the online time most of us have spent today, so it's not exactly out of the question to suggest he's not checking emails a lot. If the german speaker doesn't want to spend the ten bucks, you seem to care enough about the topic to buy the phone card and give him the number, question likely answered, end of discussion.

The email went out, what, three, four days ago? If you're gonna bother to do this, you could already be done, and gloating or finding a new topic. Not answering an email from a stranger is not evidence of much worth in the real world.
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 06-13-2008 at 09:04 AM.

If Wolfgang wrote that transcript it would imply he has very good English, way above the average middle-aged German.
    Not according to Fox:

"You have to remember he is German. His english is not that great."
    http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...&postcount=287

I'm saying there are German speakers who cared enough to write the email.
    I'm the German "speaker" and I bothered to write an email. But I don't care enough to call. This isn't my argument. Writing an email was a quick distraction from 5min of work.

I'm the German "speaker" and I bothered to write an email. But I don't care enough to call. This isn't my argument. Writing an email was a quick distraction from 5min of work.
    I understand, I'm saying that there is someone who seems concerned enough to front the ten bucks and ask you to make the call. Sorry, I blanked on who wrote the email or I would have said your name. Anyway, if you didn't have to pay a dime, would you make such a call?

I seem to have ALOT of evidence, Fox has ZERO

If Wolfgang wrote that transcript it would imply he has very good English, way above the average middle-aged German.
    Don't forget, the first post did contain the same grammar and capitalization errors Fox is well known for.

I understand, I'm saying that there is someone who seems concerned enough to front the ten bucks and ask you to make the call. Sorry, I blanked on who wrote the email or I would have said your name. Anyway, if you didn't have to pay a dime, would you make such a call?
    I'd be reluctant. Writing an email is easy since I've got time to think about it (and I still made grammatical mistakes in hindsight). Speaking on the fly is hard. Not 10-12 years ago, when I spoke fluently, but I haven't really spoken it for 10 years. Making the effort for a cause I don't really care about, meh.