Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Anyway, if you didn't have to pay a dime, would you make such a call?
    If anyone volunteers to call, I will get them the money.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Don't forget, the first post did contain the same grammar and capitalization errors Fox is well known for.
    Are those common errors? It's not so reliable to draw conclusions this way.

Regardless, there's no real reason, if you have a German speaker willing to make the call, not to do it, since it would actually answer your question through the only relevant first-hand source you need. Why not do so?

EDIT- as I was writing this, you answered it, that is all.

OK, I read the transcript again on bullshido (found via google). German sentence structure is different to English (that's actually where I'd have problems, constructing sentences on the fly since I can't think in that structure any more). The whole transcript has more or less English structure. German people writing/speaking in English will show the differences every 3-4 sentences at most. For someone to write that transcript they must have extensive English experience. Not impossible for a German native, but it implies they have significant skills and could handle themselves with native English speakers no problem. I knew people with far weaker English who'd understand the gist of a conversation between native English speakers.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Are those common errors?
    With Fox they are. Especially capitalization errors and verb tense.
    Last edited by 1bad65; 06-13-2008 at 09:18 AM.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

More evidence from the post itself

"Hello from Germany, I was the Shodakan Instructor in Stockstadt Germany when Tom Fox was there."

Wouldn't someone living in Germany use the word 'here' instead of 'there'? Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    OK, I read the transcript again on bullshido (found via google). German sentence structure is different to English (that's actually where I'd have problems, constructing sentences on the fly since I can't think in that structure any more). The whole transcript has more or less English structure. German people writing/speaking in English will show the differences every 3-4 sentences at most. For someone to write that transcript they must have extensive English experience. Not impossible for a German native, but it implies they have significant skills and could handle themselves with native English speakers no problem. I knew people with far weaker English who'd understand the gist of a conversation between native English speakers.
    And you know he didn't use proofreaders whose native tongue was english how?

I know this isn't your argument, but if someone cares this much, that's not really the way to answer the question, it only suggests that there might be a question.

I mean, if ten pages later you're still on this discussion and no call was made, you will have wasted more time than just calling would waste.

Because of all the capitalization errors. A proofreader would have fixed those.

To make a post on a forum? Unlikely.

I mean, if ten pages later you're still on this discussion and no call was made, you will have wasted more time than just calling would waste.
    I like to procrastinate. Like you, I've wasted tons of time on all these boring flamewars. KFO is slow these days. Flamewars are all that keep it alive. It was way busier and more interesting when I was more involved a few years ago.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

Toby, can you address Post #200 please?

Minor detail, not conclusive one way or another in either English or German IMHO. E.g. he could now be living elsewhere in Germany so he'd say "there".

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    To make a post on a forum? Unlikely.
    Wait, it's a forum post, not a transcript? I'm a bit confused.

Never mind. I get your point.

Here is EXACTLY what Fox posted on BS and PM'd me

This came off my forum. His name is Wolfgang Lang.

Wolfgang Mar 05, 2008
    anonymous
    Hello from Germany, I was the Shodakan Instructor in Stockstadt Germany when Tom Fox was there. He trained with me for almost 3 years. He was my one very good American Friend. Tom was very good back then and that was in 1982 to 1985, I think those were the years he was there. Anyway, we went to a full contact tournament in Germany. Tom was always trying to spar with people. I told him him would not do very well because he kept using illegal technics. He told me that is how he learned to fight in California leaning Kung Fu.
    He got to fight as a yellow belt against a brown belt and knocked this guy out of the ring in the first 5 seconds. Tom lost that fight by 1 point. The second fight he knocked his opponent out, The 3rd fight he kept pounding the guy in the ribs. On his 4th fight, Tom swept the other fighter's feet out from under him and then jumped on him. I saw Tom get hit with everything they could throw and him and Tom would just laugh and go after them. He was a Scary fighter. I would not try to start anything with Tom. He will probably hurt someone very bad.
    report abuse

Name:
    E-mail: (Email will be used only to alert you of replies to this topic.)
    [color] Dark Red Red Orange Brown Yellow Green Olive Cyan Blue Dark Blue Indigo Violet White Black [size] Tiny Small Normal Large Huge

It took me awhile to see it myself

Notice anything suspicious about it?

One thing REALLY sticks out.....

I don't know, what?

I stopped caring about three hijacked threads ago.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.