Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your favorite swordplay

My favorite swordplay is whatever sword I'm playing with at the moment. Seriously, I'm all about the dueling. It's my geekiest quality.

Which is sort of sad. 150 years ago a talented sword duelist was respected or fered. Today they rank with people who get married in Star Trek uniforms.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Thumbs up

yes. we may not need to use it to fight.

but the movement and forms will be a good way to "exercise" or moving meditation.

in general, short straightsword(double blade) requires more wrist work, the sword has to move fast and light or ching ling.

on the other hand, the broadsword (single blade) requires more arm swaying. the sword is heavier with more arm swaying and waist movement,

---

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    yes. we may not need to use it to fight.

but the movement and forms will be a good way to "exercise" or moving meditation.

in general, short straightsword(double blade) requires more wrist work, the sword has to move fast and light or ching ling.

on the other hand, the broadsword (single blade) requires more arm swaying. the sword is heavier with more arm swaying and waist movement,

---

One thing that's sort of funny though; I'm a big guy. I'm heavy, slow and powerful. One would think I'd be best with a da dao or a pudao. Instead my favorite sword to use is a hand and a half thrusting straight sword... a long jian in other words.

And I'm better by far with jian technique than with dao. It's not just a matter of preference.
    Last edited by SimonM; 06-06-2008 at 08:51 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Anyone here ever try that combat jian league? I always though it looked interesting. Anyway, my favorite routines are the basic modern wushu sword forms (not the competition forms), and the 42 move taiji jian competition form. My teacher had a pretty good form too created from baji jian, wudang jian, and something else I think (qing ping maybe?) using a longsword.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
    Anyone here ever try that combat jian league? I always though it looked interesting.
    Please provide me with information as I have never heard of this group but am very interested.
    Simon McNeil

My favorite sword play is Traditional European Fencing, the Epee' to be specific. Everywhere is target area in the competitions with that sword and the movements are a bit more flowing and improvised. I used to compete in Highschool here in Texas and in Kentucky and had hella fun doing it. If i could choose an Oriental form of swordplay to go with i would choose Kendo( i have a little bit of experience with Kendo) I like Working with the Shinai(bamboo katana) Seems to me that the attacks and defenses are a little more realistic than the chinese methods. Whereas i love chinese sword forms and know a few, i dont feel like they really represent the true nature of sword combat. maybe the internal energy aspects of it.

I would like to see some video of free form Japanese swordplay against european swordplay, Or Chinese swordplay against japanese. Or Chinese swordplay against European swordplay. It would be very interesting to see the differences in all the methods and how effective or non-effective they are.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Please provide me with information as I have never heard of this group but am very interested.
    Sorry, the name's "World Jianshu League" not "Jian Combat League"

http://www.worldjianshu.org/

There is this:
    And this:

Do these events happen in Eastern Canada? If so where and when?
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    There is this:
    And this:

Do these events happen in Eastern Canada? If so where and when?
    Sifu Tsou has a kung fu brother teaching in Ontario you could contact. He might have some information. John Hum

He also has a student group in Mass. They had formed a jianshu team and were competing the last I heard. Sifu Tsou travels there for regular workshops and training.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/tai-chi-woburn-ma/
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Thanks for the information. That will be useful.
    Simon McNeil

SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Anyone here practice with any europian blades?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.