Thread: Bleeding

Bleeding

Has anyone ever had bleeding done to them by their TCM doctor? I had it done yesterday and it was definitely an experience! I got to see the blood that came out and it was dark...does that mean there's tons of toxins in there or what?

I've worked for a TCM doctor for a while now (granted only on weekends) and I've never heard of her doing this with anyone, but I'll ask her and see what she has to say about it.
    Bless you

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SenseiShellie View Post
    Has anyone ever had bleeding done to them by their TCM doctor? I had it done yesterday and it was definitely an experience! I got to see the blood that came out and it was dark...does that mean there's tons of toxins in there or what?
    no, it means that because was venous blood (I mean, they aren't going to "bleed" you from an artery, der) it was therefore relatively deoxygenated...

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiShellie View Post
    Generally bleeding is done to remove stasis, and sometimes heat. It can be very effective for treating recent trauma, e.g., sprains and tears. Bleeding can also be done for chronic injuries, but usually gua sha, moxa, or cupping are used instead. Dark blood doesn't have anything to do with toxins...

Best,

Steve

I guess I had blood stasis because I'm sick??? I heard my doctor make a comment about it being toxic and I looked at the color and I assumed that's what he meant...

The stasis is reflected in the dark color of the blood. Imagine the blood is thicker and more slow moving... Oddly enough, this same 'venous' blood can look quite differently from patient to patient, so it's not enough to simply write the color shade off as just because it's coming from the veins. The stasis itself may be what's making you sick, or it may be a manifestation secondary to something else.

Bloodletting is a traditional form of treatment dating back to some of the earliest documents of Chinese medicine. It can be very effective in clearing fevers, sore throat and restoring consciousness.

peace

herb ox