Thread: WC in Beijing and Shanghai

Hybrid View

WC in Beijing and Shanghai

Folks, I'm heading over to Beijing and Shanghai at the end of the month and would like to visit any local WC schools. I may not be in Beijing long enough to squeeze in a visit, but I can find time while in Shanghai. Anyone know of any school that welcome visitors in those areas?

Thanks in advance

Rindge

Peter Hsu in Shanghai (Wong Shun Leung -> Gary Lam)

http://www.phwingchun.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rindge View Post
    Folks, I'm heading over to Beijing and Shanghai at the end of the month and would like to visit any local WC schools. I may not be in Beijing long enough to squeeze in a visit, but I can find time while in Shanghai. Anyone know of any school that welcome visitors in those areas?

Thanks in advance

Rindge
    Try googling "wing chun in shanghai" and perhaps you can find more info. If I were you, then I would take this opportunity to train in a non-Yip Man mainland Chinese lineage just to see the other aspects of this art that may not be present in the Hong Kong version.

shanghai

cft, I dropped pete an email last night.

I will also try the tried true google method.

Thanks

Hi Rindge, I hope you enjoy your time in Shanghai.
    Remember the Gambling Ghost movie you sent me? Well check this out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djawlBDJEvA
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Petes not gonna be here - he's heading back to LA next week for 3 to 4 months....however me and the other masochists will be training in the Shanghai heatwave...your welcome to join us in the park...
    earth & metal

There's one other guy teching WC here in Shanghai, though he's away more often than not for business...he's got a student doing most of the training...the styles southern mainland....there's a WSL guy whose pretty solid in beijing.

After being here for 3.5 years I'm seeing more arts appearing in the main cities, where unless you're training with a phys ed collage are pretty thin on the ground. Art of War in beijing are running MMA comps and traning...alot of Muay thai, BBJ appearing in Shanghai now, plus the regular park goers doing YiChuan, Hsing yi, bagua, etc
    earth & metal

Junmo in the park

Quote Originally Posted by junmo View Post
    Petes not gonna be here - he's heading back to LA next week for 3 to 4 months....however me and the other masochists will be training in the Shanghai heatwave...your welcome to join us in the park...
    Junmo, I just heard back from Pete about him not being there. I'd love to train with you guys. I will be staying at the at Astor House Hotel No 15 Huangpu Road Shanghai. Is that close to the park you train at? When do you train? Also, any contact info for the WSL gent in Beijing?

gambling ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Hi Rindge, I hope you enjoy your time in Shanghai.
    Remember the Gambling Ghost movie you sent me? Well check this out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djawlBDJEvA
    Phil, I forgot about that movie. Thanks fo rposting that clip, horrible film, but very good WC clip. Hope all is well. I am enjoying my time with Sifu Cottrells School.

Rindge

Slightly OT: Not quite Beijing...Hebei

"2,000-year-old martial art" At least the dummy looks well used...

Residents battling rogue management firms learn martial arts to fend off paid thugs
    PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 08 October, 2014, 12:26pm
    UPDATED : Wednesday, 08 October, 2014, 9:08pm
    James Griffiths james.griffiths@scmp.com

Still from 2013 film 'Ip Man: The Final Fight', based on the life of the legendary wing chun grandmaster. Photo: Screenshot

Residents in the satellite town of Yanjiao, Hebei province, have taken up the ancient Chinese martial art of wing chun to protect themselves from armed thugs hired by a rogue property management firm to intimidate them.

Located at the nexus of the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei triangle, Yanjiao, a mere 35 kilometres from Tiananmen Square, is in something of an administrative “limbo zone”. Proximate to Beijing but under Hebei’s jurisdiction, its apparent status as a grey area has led to a lack in government oversight.

According to The Beijing News, several property management firms have taken advantage of this situation, charging extortionate fees, turning public space into parking spots and sending thugs to beat up and intimidate residents when they complained.

“We were afraid [of the thugs], we didn’t have any experience in fighting back,” tenant Ren Yongmei told the newspaper.

Unprotected by authorities, residents came up with an innovative way of (literally) fighting back: by learning a 2,000-year-old martial art. In August, tenants enlisted local wing chun enthusiast Ma Lianhua to them how to defend themselves.

This plan did not go unnoticed by the property developers, and after Ma began teaching classes, he was viciously beaten by a number of armed thugs.

Ma Lianhua trains in Yanjiao. Photo: Beijing News

After the attack, Ma decided to enlist some expert help. A 60-year-old wing chun master surnamed Pang came down from Beijing accompanied by three disciples.

Pang’s lessons attracted hundreds of residents, and the thugs did not dare intervene.

When thugs confronted Ma again, and began beating him, the situation was very different. Residents surrounded them, and eventually police stepped in to arrest thug leader Rong Xuefeng, for his own safety.

After Rong was arrested, property managers and officials held a meeting during which the head of one company apologised to locals for their mistreatment and voiced his support for establishing an owners’ committee to lobby managers on behalf of residents.

“We’re not opposed to paying management fees, if they provide the appropriate services, we’ll pay the appropriate money,” Ma said, though he is still practicing wing chun, just in case.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

there is a cheung bo lineage school in Shanghai I will try to find the locaion

I think LFJ is based in Shanghai.

eventually police stepped in to arrest thug leader Rong Xuefeng, for his own safety.
    That makes total sense...

Quote Originally Posted by zuti car View Post
    there is a cheung bo lineage school in Shanghai I will try to find the locaion
    Hmm, I know which one that is. I saw a couple years ago the instructor drew some heat for telling people Westerners can't do Wing Chun as well as Chinese, against a foreign guy who was running a WT school and doing pretty well. He was then invited to an open ring contest with rules of his choice to prove his point. Then he went quiet. Personally, from what I've seen, his style looked weird and terribly impractical. Probably why he ran away after being called out for running his (racist) mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Hmm, I know which one that is. I saw a couple years ago the instructor drew some heat for telling people Westerners can't do Wing Chun as well as Chinese, against a foreign guy who was running a WT school and doing pretty well. He was then invited to an open ring contest with rules of his choice to prove his point. Then he went quiet. Personally, from what I've seen, his style looked weird and terribly impractical. Probably why he ran away after being called out for running his (racist) mouth.
    Strange , I know this guy had some western students .

Here is the web address

http://www.vingtsun.org.cn/jyt/

http://www.longwukungfu.com/