Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WC in Beijing and Shanghai

WC in Beijing and Shanghai

Folks, I'm heading over to Beijing and Shanghai at the end of the month and would like to visit any local WC schools. I may not be in Beijing long enough to squeeze in a visit, but I can find time while in Shanghai. Anyone know of any school that welcome visitors in those areas?

Thanks in advance

Rindge

Peter Hsu in Shanghai (Wong Shun Leung -> Gary Lam)

http://www.phwingchun.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rindge View Post
    Folks, I'm heading over to Beijing and Shanghai at the end of the month and would like to visit any local WC schools. I may not be in Beijing long enough to squeeze in a visit, but I can find time while in Shanghai. Anyone know of any school that welcome visitors in those areas?

Thanks in advance

Rindge
    Try googling "wing chun in shanghai" and perhaps you can find more info. If I were you, then I would take this opportunity to train in a non-Yip Man mainland Chinese lineage just to see the other aspects of this art that may not be present in the Hong Kong version.

shanghai

cft, I dropped pete an email last night.

I will also try the tried true google method.

Thanks

Hi Rindge, I hope you enjoy your time in Shanghai.
    Remember the Gambling Ghost movie you sent me? Well check this out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djawlBDJEvA
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Petes not gonna be here - he's heading back to LA next week for 3 to 4 months....however me and the other masochists will be training in the Shanghai heatwave...your welcome to join us in the park...
    earth & metal

There's one other guy teching WC here in Shanghai, though he's away more often than not for business...he's got a student doing most of the training...the styles southern mainland....there's a WSL guy whose pretty solid in beijing.

After being here for 3.5 years I'm seeing more arts appearing in the main cities, where unless you're training with a phys ed collage are pretty thin on the ground. Art of War in beijing are running MMA comps and traning...alot of Muay thai, BBJ appearing in Shanghai now, plus the regular park goers doing YiChuan, Hsing yi, bagua, etc
    earth & metal

gambling ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Hi Rindge, I hope you enjoy your time in Shanghai.
    Remember the Gambling Ghost movie you sent me? Well check this out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djawlBDJEvA
    Phil, I forgot about that movie. Thanks fo rposting that clip, horrible film, but very good WC clip. Hope all is well. I am enjoying my time with Sifu Cottrells School.

Rindge

Junmo in the park

Quote Originally Posted by junmo View Post
    Petes not gonna be here - he's heading back to LA next week for 3 to 4 months....however me and the other masochists will be training in the Shanghai heatwave...your welcome to join us in the park...
    Junmo, I just heard back from Pete about him not being there. I'd love to train with you guys. I will be staying at the at Astor House Hotel No 15 Huangpu Road Shanghai. Is that close to the park you train at? When do you train? Also, any contact info for the WSL gent in Beijing?

Rindge, here is a WSLVT guy in Beijing:

http://www.bjvingtsun.com/english/Contact%20Our.htm

Wang Zhiping - there are clips of him on youtube.

cft

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Rindge, here is a WSLVT guy in Beijing:

http://www.bjvingtsun.com/english/Contact%20Our.htm

Wang Zhiping - there are clips of him on youtube.
    CFT, thanks. This might shape up to be a great WC trip!!! I'll be contacting him tonight.

Rindge

Rindg,

Your staying right on the river...were further downtown....maybe a 15 minute taxi ride (weather and traffic dependent) - at the moment we train Saturdays/Sundays are the main days...when are you arriving in Shanghai?

And yes that link CFT sent is the WSL guy in Beijing...dont know if you have been there before, but that city is spread out, so you will need some time, and patience toget anywhere.
    earth & metal

I visited Wang Zhiping in Beijing last year. Make sure you have a cell phone to call a taxi, because his school is in the last unpaved part of Beijing (not literally, of course, I'm sure there are other unpaved areas....), in what many Westerners might consider a slum. Getting there, the Taxi driver hadn't even heard of it, and when I left, I had to walk 3 miles just to get back to a main road. So the school is nothing like the Great Wall backdrop they had on Human Weapon. It was definitely a fun visit though; Sifu Wang is a very nice man-- we must have talked for about an hour (though I would have far rather watched his class...).

Another person teaching in Beijing is one of my kung fu brothers, Marco Lee (Sifu Lo Man Kam lineage): http://www.poweredge.ch/~wckf/
    JK-
    "Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."

Junmo, I arrive in Shanghai on Saturday the 5th July in the afternoon, so Sunday would be ideal (assuming you train in the morning). Let me know where and what time and I'll be there.

Aelward, thanks for the info on the schools in Beijing. I'm only in Beijing for 4 days so I think sightseeing and eating will take up all of my time. Nonetheless, I have sent Wang an email.

Rindge

Slightly OT: Not quite Beijing...Hebei

"2,000-year-old martial art" At least the dummy looks well used...

Residents battling rogue management firms learn martial arts to fend off paid thugs
    PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 08 October, 2014, 12:26pm
    UPDATED : Wednesday, 08 October, 2014, 9:08pm
    James Griffiths james.griffiths@scmp.com

Still from 2013 film 'Ip Man: The Final Fight', based on the life of the legendary wing chun grandmaster. Photo: Screenshot

Residents in the satellite town of Yanjiao, Hebei province, have taken up the ancient Chinese martial art of wing chun to protect themselves from armed thugs hired by a rogue property management firm to intimidate them.

Located at the nexus of the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei triangle, Yanjiao, a mere 35 kilometres from Tiananmen Square, is in something of an administrative “limbo zone”. Proximate to Beijing but under Hebei’s jurisdiction, its apparent status as a grey area has led to a lack in government oversight.

According to The Beijing News, several property management firms have taken advantage of this situation, charging extortionate fees, turning public space into parking spots and sending thugs to beat up and intimidate residents when they complained.

“We were afraid [of the thugs], we didn’t have any experience in fighting back,” tenant Ren Yongmei told the newspaper.

Unprotected by authorities, residents came up with an innovative way of (literally) fighting back: by learning a 2,000-year-old martial art. In August, tenants enlisted local wing chun enthusiast Ma Lianhua to them how to defend themselves.

This plan did not go unnoticed by the property developers, and after Ma began teaching classes, he was viciously beaten by a number of armed thugs.

Ma Lianhua trains in Yanjiao. Photo: Beijing News

After the attack, Ma decided to enlist some expert help. A 60-year-old wing chun master surnamed Pang came down from Beijing accompanied by three disciples.

Pang’s lessons attracted hundreds of residents, and the thugs did not dare intervene.

When thugs confronted Ma again, and began beating him, the situation was very different. Residents surrounded them, and eventually police stepped in to arrest thug leader Rong Xuefeng, for his own safety.

After Rong was arrested, property managers and officials held a meeting during which the head of one company apologised to locals for their mistreatment and voiced his support for establishing an owners’ committee to lobby managers on behalf of residents.

“We’re not opposed to paying management fees, if they provide the appropriate services, we’ll pay the appropriate money,” Ma said, though he is still practicing wing chun, just in case.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart