Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My mental endurance sucks!

My mental endurance sucks!

Ok so these days my fitness level is getting pretty good but my mental endurance isn't great at all. On a Monday I have 1 hours mma with an hours break then 1 1/2 hours kung fu. Both classes have sparring, plus I'm taking on new techniques in mma, but by the time it comes to kung fu I struggle to even remember my basic forms! I have my black sash grading coming up in October, basically it's a weekends course then the syllabus grading at 5pm-8pm on the Sunday night. If I carry on like this I'll be a wreck mentally

Anyone got any tips on increasing mental endurance or is it something that will come along eventually?

Do them on different days.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I can't as those are the only class options I have Anyway I want to be able to train for longer so it's irrelevant what I do when really.

From your original post it seems the issue is retaining information, not mental endurance.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

If you're talking about forgetting forms you have known for a while then it's probably just fatigue. As your endurance gets better you won't have as much trouble. You might feel ok doing both but that doesn't mean it's not taxing you. Pluss you trying to remember newly learned material from the first class so it's dividing your attention.

Make sure you're getting enough sleep.

Sleep deprivation causes mental fatigue and retention problems.

To work on your mental endurance, try standing stake practice.

What's that?

Meditate between your classes.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

you should squat more.
    where's my beer?

quit kung fu..... forms wont make u better at mma

gda is correct....
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

eat something light before kung fu.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
    quit kung fu..... forms wont make u better at mma

gda is correct....
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

cjurakpt Guest
    your report suggests that you are trying to learn two discreet yet similar motor skill sets simultaneously, which is challenging; the analogy would be that you would try to learn German and Dutch at the same time: they are discreet in that they are different languages they are similar in that they are both "germanic" and contain many similar sounds that sometimes stand for the same thing and sometimes don't (meaning you can't count on it as a guide either way); so, you may have a move that is similar to both skill sets,, but the way you are "supposed" to use it is different; or, conversely, you have different moves to accomplish the same task, and your neuromuscular system may favor one over the other, making retention of both difficult; to compound it, if you have different teachers for each, that may make it harder: if it was one teacher for both, he/she would be able to help you bridge that discrepancy, knowing both systems as well as how you do things specifically;

a suggestion is to not do both on the same day; or, at least switch the order from time to time, so the kung fu is not always the second thing you do; or drop one until you get to a significantly different level of skill in the other, so the acquisition issues are different from one to the other

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Take a short stick---pen, bar, stick not more than a pound. Flip it once. Go forten to onehundred half flips. Do this throughout a day or at least once.

The other is to pull a pen from it's cap an return the other end in the cap. repeat this. Do ten to one hundred returns.

Both are actually to be done to one thousand but adjusted for your possible availability to exercise long as low~.

I No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 06-13-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: F
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com