Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best style of kung fu

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    Hu Flung Pu is a good style. but only if you are the kind of person that is willing to get their hands dirty so you can learn to fight.
    Ah yes, the venerable Spider Monkey Style. I heard it was created by a mad hobo who was tormenting monkeys at the zoo. He was teazing the little beast with a piece of apple when sudden enlightenment hit him in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Master Sum Dum Goy created the famous Wen Hung Lo system, when done right, no can defend
    A demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x7-gHCLPcA

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    When 99.9999% of Kung Fu people fight, it all looks like Long Fist, no matter what style they train.
    i must be one of the .0001% then. Cause i just go for short range, elbows where i can, shin kicks and pretty much your jabs, crosses, uppercuts and hooks with an occasional elbow down or a grab here and tehre when given teh opportunity and so on.

also, san shou people don't look like longfist... in fact, i don't think I've seen any actual longfist "fighting" per se come to think of it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    also, san shou people don't look like longfist... in fact, i don't think I've seen any actual longfist "fighting" per se come to think of it.
    60% of the time, 100% of San Shou looks like Long Fist.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

cuz in this bored i didnt get a good reply, yet in the other board i got some good and helpful replays... and i ment to post in the other board from the begining

thank u all for ur time and info

i would have replayed sooner but i was sleeping

If you're in the States, make sure you know boxing and wrestling.
    It could just be a year doing both.
    Every kung fu school's going to assume you already have a background in it; so when you spar don't be afraid to go full out with punches and/or takedowns.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Stancy Kung-Fu Styles, my say I No_Know

A Hung Gar (Family) related System should have at leat five stances--Horse-riding (both knees bent feet can be twice shoulders width-mostly both feet flat); Bow and Arrow (might be called Half a Horse(-riding) Stance) (rear leg straight front knee bent-mostly both feet flat);Scissors Stance (might be called Dragon Stance or Twisting Stance(side step or twist having both knees bent-one foot flat one on the ball, Cat Stance (support leg bent slightly to extremely depending on ability and need, other legslightly bent toe part of the foot in contact with the ground (one foot flat one only in contact by the toes area of the foot; Crane Stance might be called Hanging Horse or One Leg(ged) Stance

Sevenstar Praying mantis should have more than five stances.

Hsing-I(pronounced E) has organized footwork and complexity.

Coordinating Bagua might be good for your wanting complexity, but limited on variety of stance, though high on stance usage.

Oso's should be a Five Animal style or system that would incorporate all of the Hung family stances I listed and have a good variety of techniques.

I No_Know

Wing Chun is a simplification of fighting and therefore from what you've requested I might think, it is not of interest for you to take as your first Fighting Kung-Fu Style.

Jeet Kune Do takes what is useful and leaves te rest...Low on stances except in transition, might be strong in moving stances

Northern styles had been noted for use of their legs and can have a variety of stances.

Southern is known for use of the arms (fists) and though fewer stances perhaps than the leggy North, a strong core of stance collection from which to land those fists.

I No Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 06-12-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: - bold cat stance
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

thxs a lot no_know that really helpd i think i can make my choose based on ur post and other things i have been reading

cjurakpt Guest
    "All styles are one, but Lama Pai rules!"

GM CTS

Royce could choke them all out.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

long answer: i am perplexed. the newbie is taking the ridiculous responses to a legitimate, albeit way too common question in stride. but i can't get a feel for whether he has a sense of humor about it.

anyway, the question has been asked a million times and there is no answer for what the best style is. if you told us what you wanted to get out of it and what was available to you in your area and then asked what the best style for you was then maybe you could get some straight answers.

short answer: Hung Fut

BSR: The "newbie" set off our troll detection system even before he started multi-posting his over-asked question all over the board. The fact that he took advice regarding the compatability of WC with BJJ (considering the well-known emnity between highly placed proponents of the two arts) and the greatness of styles like "hu flung poo" point to the fact that he REALLY is a troll.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    When 99.9999% of Kung Fu people fight, it all looks like Long Fist, no matter what style they train.
    QFT
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    Hu Flung Pu is a good style. but only if you are the kind of person that is willing to get their hands dirty so you can learn to fight.
    yukyukyuk
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    The fact that he took advice regarding the compatability of WC with BJJ (considering the well-known emnity between highly placed proponents of the two arts)
    What a load of crap.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan