Thread: 101 Burpees

101 Burpees

Hello everyone,

Today in class, I decided to time my burpees again as my workout. Last time, I did 102 burpees in 12 min 20 sec or so. This time, I did 101 burpees in 10 min and 15 sec. A two minute time improvement!! Next time, I will be under 10 min!! Ok, time to be worthless for the rest of the day. lol

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

nice work

i'm impressed (seriously, no sarcasm)
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Nice job !! I hate burpees and usually give up after 4 mins hahaha.
    -Me

So how do you do them? Do you have a strategy? Like I know some people will do sets of 10. Or do you just go balls out and do as many as you can? How do you do yours?

Oh, and great work. That's great time.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

So how do you do them? Do you have a strategy? Like I know some people will do sets of 10. Or do you just go balls out and do as many as you can? How do you do yours?
    I do as many as I can when I first start out. I did 25 in a row starting off, then I would do sets of 5's afterwards. I think how many you do in the beginning is the key, how many can you do in a row is critical to how you do on your time. Thats my opinion.

ttt 4 2019!

This Is the Secret to Doing the Best Burpee, According to a Trainer
    May 28, 2019
    by MICHAEL DE MEDEIROS

Everyone is doing burpees these days. And because everyone's doing them, and especially because they are the bane of the existence of any sane and rational human being, it's natural to do them as fast as you powered through season two of Stranger Things. Sure, blasting through your burpees gets them done quicker, and there is a cardio element to it, but the truth is that if you really want to experience all the benefits of this dreaded but amazing exercise, there's one secret that nobody's talking about or following. If you want the most results, you have to do your burpees slowly! And we mean slow! Experience every element of the move and every simple motion that makes it the new king of fat loss and muscle toning.

Want proof?

We asked Sarah Chadwell, NASM CPT, and she told us that "it's really about quality, not quantity. When you want to target specific muscles and make them grow, then you need to make sure you are performing the exercise correctly whether it's burpees, lunges, or overhead press. Faster does not always equal better."

Why does it work better slow?

You don't have to go Rambo style on burpees for them to positively impact your overall strength and conditioning and to shed fat. Slow down! Burpees are still going to be effective at a slower rate — and we think you'll find them even more intense.

Chadwell told us, "The difference in performing burpees slowly versus rapidly is that you keep your muscles under tension for a longer period of time. This yields muscular growth and development because your muscles have to work harder in both the concentric and eccentric portions of the exercises."

How should you break it down?

Generally speaking, burpees are used as a warmup or as a portion of circuit training. Since this is not POPSUGAR's burpee challenge, your rep range should stay between 10 and 20. Remember, this is a piece of a comprehensive conditioning circuit in which you will be performing other exercises. In this scenario, you're NOT going to use the burpees to train to failure or for your entire workout.

You can also break up the set of burpees. If you are completing 20 reps, break them into four sets of five or two sets of 10 with rest in between the sets (depending on your current conditioning). The rest periods should be 30-45 seconds.

How slow should you go? Let's break it down:

Start in standing position.
    Squat down — lower yourself slowly, then hold the squat for a one count.
    Hands to the floor and jump feet back into plank position — hold the plank for a two count.
    Complete a superslow push-up — chin to the mat and slowly back to plank position.
    Jump your feet back up into frog position — hold for a one count.
    Squat thrust into the air — use all your might to jump as high as you can.
    Repeat.

Struggling With Any Portions of Your Burpees?

We know burpees are one tough exercise. Chadwell told us, "There may be certain parts of burpees that you struggle with since burpees are a combination of many exercises. But you can build weaknesses into strengths by being deliberate in your training on 'non-burpee' days."

For example:

Complete three sets of push-ups, planks, and squat jumps twice a week as part of your training program.
    Get 30 minutes a day of cardio to build your cardiovascular endurance.
    Do bodyweight exercises that require muscular endurance.
    It's the same for the plank, froggies, and squat jump portions of the exercise. By isolating the individual exercises and completing sets of each, you will build up to executing excellent burpees over time.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

The bottom line here is to slow down and feel every muscle, every move. Make your muscles tremble under pressure. Make mind-to-body connections. Learn to love the burn, because that burn is what's making you lean and fit.

Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography
    Burpees are just Yoga Sun Salutations lite to me.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

HBD Royal Burpee!

This is great history. I never knew.

Today would be Royal Burpee's 122nd birthday. The workout move he invented may be the best exercise of all time — unless you do it wrong.
    Hilary Brueck Jun. 4, 2019, 2:13 PM

The personal trainer Tansy Fong demonstrates how to do the plank portion of a Burpee at Tamar Park in Hong Kong. Chen Xiaomei/South China Morning Post via Getty Images

The burpee was invented by the exercise physiologist Royal Burpee in the late 1930s while he was getting his Ph.D. at Columbia University.

Burpee created his multipart move as physical fitness test.

His granddaughter said he "would be rolling over in his grave if he saw the way it's being done in a lot of places" today.

Burpees are a great exercise when done correctly. Planks and jump squats are also good alternatives.

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Royal Burpee was a man who prized efficiency.

"He was not warm and fuzzy, but he was kind," Burpee's granddaughter, Sheryl Burpee Dluginski, told Business Insider. "Everything was about doing things the right way and working hard. He was very disciplined."

Burpee, or "Goog" as Dluginski knew him as a child, was an exercise physiologist, avid camper, and bodybuilder who worked at the YMCA in New York. While conducting research for his Ph.D. at Columbia University in the 1930s, he wanted to find an efficient way to determine people's physical fitness.

So he created his namesake move, the "burpee."

Royal Burpee invented the burpee as a fitness test while completing his Ph.D. in the 1930s. Courtesy of Sheryl Burpee Dluginski

Little did Burpee know at the time, his rapid-fire test would become a timeless global phenomenon.

Today, on what would be his 122nd birthday, people are still practicing it around the globe — though not always in the way he originally intended.

How to do a burpee

Here is Burpee's official, original test, as it appeared in his book "Seven Tests of Physical Capacity":

Examiner:

I want you to do a little exercise to get your heart working, so please do exactly as I say. Bend your knees, and place your hands flat on the floor in front of you. (Subject performs movement)

Jump your legs straight out to the rear, and leave them there. (Subject performs movement)

Jump your legs back. (Subject performs movement)

Stand up. (Subject performs movement)

Shutterstock

You'll notice that the original burpee fitness test didn't include a jump up at the end, which is often part of workouts today. Instead, people simply completed the squat-plank-stand sequence as quickly as possible. Burpee's test asked participants to do the move just four times in order to assess their physical ability.

The Burpee was created as a fitness test, not a workout
    For his research in the 1930s, Burpee administered his test to score men and boys at the YMCA from "excellent condition" to "good" and "not good" using their pulse rates, ability to perform the exercise, quickness, and breathlessness afterward.

His granddaughter shares his interest in fitness — Dluginski works as personal trainer.

"Goog would be rolling over in his grave if he saw the way [the burpee] is being done in a lot of places," she said. "I think he would be cringing and very unhappy to see trainers asking unfit clients to do 10 burpees in a row just to get their heart rate up, even if they don't have the core strength and the mobility to do it properly."

Other trainers have similar perspectives about burpees.

"Most people don't have adequate mobility to get into a deep squat, so they're going to flex their back," the celebrity trainer Eric Johnson, who routinely trains stars like Scarlett Johansson, told INSIDER.

In his test, Burpee allowed for "minor variations in form" from participants but made sure a person's legs were fully extended and their back straight when down in the plank. Burpee-doers should also be in a "deep knee bend" at the end of the first movement, he said, not leaning forward into a resting position.

For these reasons, Dluginski said the burpee should really be considered "an exercise for people who are already physically fit."

"It's really hard on the knees. It's really hard on the back. And unless you have good core strength and good fitness to start out with, you're not going to be able to do it correctly. That's exactly why it makes such a good fitness assessment test, which is what it really is," she added.

But because the burpee is a combo move, Dluginski said, all of its components are good to try on their own. You could first master the plank, maintaining a strong core, straight back, and stable shoulder girdle (without winging the shoulder blades out to the side). Then, eventually — if you have enough mobility and range of motion in your knees to jump from plank to squat — you could begin jumping in and out of that plank.

There are, of course, other perfectly suitable and safe ways to get your heart rate soaring besides burpees. Fitness experts often recommend using a punching bag or jump rope, or performing jump squats — tasks that don't require the same fitness level as a burpee.

When done properly, however, burpees can be a great way to build strength and get your workout done in a hurry.

"You can't beat the classic burp," the trainer and exercise physiologist Tony Maloney from the National Institute for Fitness and Sport, previously told Business Insider. "As long as it includes a push-up and full extension in the hips at the top jump of the move."

In the 1946 edition of his book, "Seven Quickly Administered Tests of Physical Capacity," Burpee described a WWII military-level version of his test, in which burpee-doers would be asked to complete the move as many times as possible in 20 seconds and then in one minute.

But he said that test is only "suitable for men who have had a previous medical examination and are known to be free from cardiovascular disturbance."

It's a good reminder that burpees are no joke, even eight decades after the fitness test was invented.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart